Received an HPI Baja 5SC and need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey new guy welcome .........
LOL what fun have a blast(y):LOL:
Thank you!
Still putting my shopping list together, but I hope to have it running soon.
if ur talking about the hitec D845, those arent a drop in fit, they require a load of modifying to fit. i don't think hes ready for that
You are probably right, I don't think I could handle very large modifications, especially since I don't really know much of anything about this hobby until I started posting here.

Last edited:
That requires a load of modding which he probably isnt ready for
So it took a while of googling to finally find a post that mentions the modification required. Apparently the D845 sticks about 3mm out of the original position and interferes with the front brace plate when engaged. Either I would have to mod the front brace plate or mod the case to put the servo back that 3mm distance and clear the brace.

I have this Steering servo installed in my BAJA . http://www.davesmotors.com/Savox-SV...ale-Steering-Servo-w-Free-DDM-Alloy-Horn.html

Happy with it so far .
I think I'm going to settle on this for now, unless someone comes with a slightly better recommendation. Only thing now is, I'll have to find a 7.2v battery pack instead of the 6v Venom I found on Amazon.

EDIT: Holy JESUS that price on that servo ... lol I was NOT expecting that.

Last edited:
So it took a while of googling to finally find a post that mentions the modification required. Apparently the D845 sticks about 3mm out of the original position and interferes with the front brace plate when engaged. Either I would have to mod the front brace plate or mod the case to put the servo back that 3mm distance and clear the brace.

I think I'm going to settle on this for now, unless someone comes with a slightly better recommendation. Only thing now is, I'll have to find a 7.2v battery pack instead of the 6v Venom I found on Amazon.

Of your going to use a lipo battery then you will need a lipo compatible t/b servo too

you don't necessarily HAVE to run a 7.2v lipo, it will just make the servo perform better, also if you do want to go 7.2v, you'll have to change the other servo because the stock one will burn out fast if u run that much voltage. Also with 7.2v lipo, there are many things you need to know about charging and safety wise, IMO, id go 6.6v LIFE battery becuase they are safer supposedly and give better performance, plus your throttle servo will probably be fine as its not a lot more voltage than 6v. With that being said I'm still running old fashion 6v NiMH ? ill get going LIFE soon though (y)
also heres a thread on mounting the D845 https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/question-about-mounting-hitec-d845wp-servo.23482/

Last edited:

I'm using the stock NICD battery that came with the buggy .

I'm using the stock NICD battery that came with the buggy .
Okay, cool! When I clicked the link, I saw it said 7.4v so I thought I was going to have to change the batteries! I'm going to stick with my original plan of buying the venom 6v 5000ah battery pack.

Also, I know you guys want updates, but seeing how much of an initial cost this is going to be, I'm going to have to wait til payday next week to make the purchases. I wish it was sooner but I can't afford it at the moment.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for sharing your helpful opinions and valuable information with me. I'm glad I came here. :)

Last edited:
Okay guys, so update time.

Good news! The motor works! I still plan on taking it a part and cleaning it out, BUT it turns over and runs! it took what seemed like 30 pulls, but it kicked in! I was able to run it back and forth a few times in the back yard.

Bad news! Steering servo IS shot. BARELY turns left or right while running. Also, I think I have another issue. The motor stalls if I try to immediately take off from a stop. However, if I "gently squeeze" and ease into the accelerator, it goes perfectly fine.

Any ideas?

Okay, cool! When I clicked the link, I saw it said 7.4v so I thought I was going to have to change the batteries! I'm going to stick with my original plan of buying the venom 6v 5000ah battery pack.

Also, I know you guys want updates, but seeing how much of an initial cost this is going to be, I'm going to have to wait til payday next week to make the purchases. I wish it was sooner but I can't afford it at the moment.

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for sharing your helpful opinions and valuable information with me. I'm glad I came here. :)
no problem!! Personally I love helping ??
Okay guys, so update time.

Good news! The motor works! I still plan on taking it a part and cleaning it out, BUT it turns over and runs! it took what seemed like 30 pulls, but it kicked in! I was able to run it back and forth a few times in the back yard.

Bad news! Steering servo IS shot. BARELY turns left or right while running. Also, I think I have another issue. The motor stalls if I try to immediately take off from a stop. However, if I "gently squeeze" and ease into the accelerator, it goes perfectly fine.

Any ideas?
Oh that's awesome that she runs! On the other thing, the problem your having sound alike your running too rich.
Running rich means too much fuel and less air vs lean means less fuel and more air. Rich fouls plugs faster vs lean fuels plugs faster, over heats and engine, and if run long enough will damage it. NOW you don't really want to be on eaither side, you want to be in the middle. Its kind of tricky but you need to pay attention to the amount of smoke coming out, more smoke = more rich, Les smoke = lean. Also you need to know the sounds and what a rich or lean condition feels like,. I can't really explain that but eventually you'll figure it out. Also your lucky that this isn't nitro (that's a different category of RC) because those things are a PAIN IN THE ASS to tune. Here's a vid for tuning
Break in btw is when the engine is new and it needs to be cycled a bit. Yours since it was used is probably fully broken in but I'd take it easy for a gallon of fuel just in case ?

Also here's a hpi starter guide just so you can learn the truck a bit more, I think it also has tuning in it.

Hi Guys, I'm back with updates.

First of all, I haven't forgotten about you guys. I know I'm new and everyone knows it's very easy for new guys to "hi & bye!" out of things, especially for beginners at ANYTHING. A hobby grows with you, it doesn't "just happen". I'm going to be 100% honest, I thought about quitting before the adventure even began.

This wasn't a hobby I thought I would be in to begin with, I was THROWN into it and blindsided by my ex-neighbor (he moved away). In fact, I'm not sure if I'll stick with it? That's still up in the air. I came here looking for advice and I was welcomed with a LOT of it, which was awesome! I went to these websites and the first thing that stuck out to me were the prices on EVERYTHING. $100 servos, I mean, SERIOUSLY, these manufactures must be making money hands over fists! I took a servo apart, it was a tiny motor with 5 pieces of gears. :eek: $100. Still can't believe it.

I put this thing in the back burner. Opened the garage and threw it up on a storage shelf.

UNTIL LAST WEEK. Old neighbor found me on LinkedIn (out of all places?) and asked if I was having a blast with it. I sheepishly lied and said yes. I couldn't bare to tell him that it was back in storage. He gave me this thing in hopes that it would see the light of day and revel in grassy fields in full baja glory ... and I left him down.

Screw it, I thought. I bought those damn Servos, new carb kit, batteries, and few other things that don't come to mind right now, and got to work. Following all the videos and PDF manuals ... I GOT THE DAMN THING GOING AND IT'S MEAN AS HEEEEEELLLLLL!

The ONE thing I wasn't expecting was how LOUD it actually is when you punch it full throttle. I was whipping it around in my backyard after I tuned it up and my front neighbor started to complain. Since I was up close to it, I thought it sounded as loud as a normal weed-whacker. Nope. Apparently poop-tons louder. So now I can only do it in open areas to not disturb people. Not an issue being on Fort Hood, TX. Plenty of open spaces.

Right now, I have a few things on my list to "improve" on it. It got REALLY dirty from me whipping it around so I have to clean it up. Can I power wash it? I have an electric powerwasher, it's about 1700spi but it's adjustable.

Also, what do I need to lubricate other than shocks? I can also see some rust spots in a few places. Nothing major that needs to be replaced but things like a few bolts, on the tuning pipe, on the motor and such. I was thinking of using my dremel to remove the rust and using something like engine enamel spray?

The last thing right now is, when I break, the car doesn't stop as fast as I would want it to. From wide open, to full stop, it's about a 15 foot stop. Is there anything I could try to improve on breaking? Right now it's stock. I'm not gonna lie, I thought it had more stopping power but it bashed it against my fence on accident thinking it would break sooner.

Thanks guys!

One las

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks