Rovan Strugglin' (not company)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota RC

Yo 1/5th Scale enthusiasts,

I have did this over and over and over, but my Rovan HPI clone has been the black sheep of the RC's that I have and I cannot get it to accelerate beyond 5 MPH. This is an annual fight between the Rovan and me. It bogs down, but I have replaced the high and low speed needles after eight years of ownership; the original needles were pitted. I have tuned it, and it moved great until the stupid spur gear blew on a run. After fixing it, I was going to take it out but it made me say some colorful language again.

What would you fellow 1/5'ers think it might be? During the winter months I'm tearing all my trucks for maintenance, but hopefully temperatures will reach in the 30s by weeks end and want to get another run in before its to cold. Notes:
  • I never cleaned the carburetor
  • The piston is blacker than black
  • New needles (worked great after those being installed until spur gear went out)
  • engine is eight years old (is it getting tired?)
  • I never replaced fuel filter in tank, cleaned it once.

Thanks

Yo 1/5th Scale enthusiasts,

I have did this over and over and over, but my Rovan HPI clone has been the black sheep of the RC's that I have and I cannot get it to accelerate beyond 5 MPH. This is an annual fight between the Rovan and me. It bogs down, but I have replaced the high and low speed needles after eight years of ownership; the original needles were pitted. I have tuned it, and it moved great until the stupid spur gear blew on a run. After fixing it, I was going to take it out but it made me say some colorful language again.

What would you fellow 1/5'ers think it might be? During the winter months I'm tearing all my trucks for maintenance, but hopefully temperatures will reach in the 30s by weeks end and want to get another run in before its to cold. Notes:
  • I never cleaned the carburetor
  • The piston is blacker than black
  • New needles (worked great after those being installed until spur gear went out)
  • engine is eight years old (is it getting tired?)
  • I never replaced fuel filter in tank, cleaned it once.

Thanks
Carb could be an issue, but also since the engine is 8yrs old, it's possible that the ring is done and is causing blow by hence the bog (unless I'm talking out my ass ?). But I wouldn't go there yet first I'd try the fuel filter and carb, replace em, don't just clean em.

What caused the spur to blow out ,an does the buggy roll freely by just pushing it on the ground by hand?

I think the stock spur gear is a normal thing with the baja. But yeah check if it rolls free

Mine hasn't blew ,an it is 10 years old ,but ,you have seen how dry my diff was ,that being said ,a spur should only
blow out when something jams up or if the gear mesh isnt right ,if the rear end is locked up or jamed ,it could
drag the engine down ,also burn the shoes up!

A blind shot, check the fuel tank cap breather hole is not clogged.

Remove the spark plug and crank on the engine, everything moves smoothly?

If the baja is pushed while its off, does it roll freely, no jammed clutch and so on?

Spur gear removed, clutch bell spins freely?

With spark plug on, is there good compression?

By any chance, did you install the lines backwards? don't ask me why am I asking that, lol.

Is the carb manifold installed that it has the fuel pressure holes unrestricted by the gaskets? thats if you mess with the carb.

good luck

*your first unedited title could not have happened at a better time* lol thats all am sayin, its a long story, and thanks for changing/correcting it.

Well I don't do vids, too much of a pain in the ass. I actually tried once, failed and said fiddlestick it. If you want to see it run, it will cost you a plane ticket. Think I've provided more then enough pics to solidify that I own it, and have done work to it. And it's not much of a slap in the face when you have no idea what your talking about with corn saps and what not ????

Well I don't do vids, too much of a pain in the ass. I actually tried once, failed and said fiddlestick it. If you want to see it run, it will cost you a plane ticket. Think I've provided more then enough pics to solidify that I own it, and have done work to it. And it's not much of a slap in the face when you have no idea what your talking about with corn saps and what not ????
it really ain't hard. jus record the vid on y phone, then go to the youtube app, click the camera in the top right corner than select the vid u jus recorded, name it, upload, bam video uploaded.

LOL....My problem is ,I don't have nobody to shoot the vid for me anymore ,so ,my daughter bought me a go-pro ,
problem is with that ,is it takes me 30 fekin min to re learn how to work it every time I pick it up to use it ,then when
I do ,I have to figure out how to strap it on to my bald ass ugly noggin ,the I look like some stupid tweeker out
in the middle of the street with a gadget strapped to my head running around!....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks