Running silencers

Craig G.

So I have had the silencer on my performance pipe for awhile now. The sound difference is obviously there, however I don't think I'm fully understanding what kind of performance I may be losing with this thing on. Maybe what I mean is, are we sort of choking out our motors from the rear by using these? Should I be aware of special tuning differences when using the silencer? I like using it so as to not have to drive so far to run, I just want to have a broad handle on what these do to a motor's performance with prolonged use.

Z.hb71

I've heard you gain top en, some say you loose power, ect. I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance personally but I've never tried one

Craig G.

I've heard you gain top en, some say you loose power, ect. I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance personally but I've never tried one
I'm only running a stock Chung yeng 27.5 anyway, It's still seems to perform. If I run at certain spots, I HAVE to have this thing on! Don't want to make the spot too hot with too much noise! thanks man

crucialRC

I run a silenced Victory on my 5ive B and its fast. Unsilenced is too loud in my opinion. My Vekta is unsilenced and deafening.

AnubisBC

Running a silenced Jetpro 5t pipe since day one. I think it's a bit loud still, but it is also throaty and doesn't have the cackle of an unsilenced pipe. With where I run, there's no way I'd be able to run more than once without a silenced pipe. Since there's no one to run against in my general area, I have no basis for comparison performance wise, silenced or not. Which is also a bonus. My only basis for comparison is my own.

My stock motor is still running fast as hell, so I don't give a damn. When I upgrade the motor, I'll have a stronger basis for comparison based on the same pipe and can make my own adjustments. I'll still opt for a silenced pipe, even if I get a new one. "Loud" and "Noisy" are completely different to me.

If you aren't in competition locally, does it really matter if you get better power by making more noise?

Polar_Bus

Typically with no silencer you maintain max peak rpm hp . Adding a silencer takes away a slight amount of the peak hp but running a silencer adds stronger scavenging pulses within the exhaust which in theory adds a broader torque curve from low to midrange power. Midrange torque is more fun and noticeable with your typical recreational 1/5 scale than is peak top end hp.