Running silencers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig G.

So I have had the silencer on my performance pipe for awhile now. The sound difference is obviously there, however I don't think I'm fully understanding what kind of performance I may be losing with this thing on. Maybe what I mean is, are we sort of choking out our motors from the rear by using these? Should I be aware of special tuning differences when using the silencer? I like using it so as to not have to drive so far to run, I just want to have a broad handle on what these do to a motor's performance with prolonged use.

I've heard you gain top en, some say you loose power, ect. I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance personally but I've never tried one
I'm only running a stock Chung yeng 27.5 anyway, It's still seems to perform. If I run at certain spots, I HAVE to have this thing on! Don't want to make the spot too hot with too much noise! thanks man

Running a silenced Jetpro 5t pipe since day one. I think it's a bit loud still, but it is also throaty and doesn't have the cackle of an unsilenced pipe. With where I run, there's no way I'd be able to run more than once without a silenced pipe. Since there's no one to run against in my general area, I have no basis for comparison performance wise, silenced or not. Which is also a bonus. My only basis for comparison is my own.

My stock motor is still running fast as hell, so I don't give a damn. When I upgrade the motor, I'll have a stronger basis for comparison based on the same pipe and can make my own adjustments. I'll still opt for a silenced pipe, even if I get a new one. "Loud" and "Noisy" are completely different to me.

If you aren't in competition locally, does it really matter if you get better power by making more noise?

Typically with no silencer you maintain max peak rpm hp . Adding a silencer takes away a slight amount of the peak hp but running a silencer adds stronger scavenging pulses within the exhaust which in theory adds a broader torque curve from low to midrange power. Midrange torque is more fun and noticeable with your typical recreational 1/5 scale than is peak top end hp.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks