Snapper clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Noxious

Howdy fellas need some advice on which snapper clutch I need for a king motor Baja 5b stock pinion do I need long or short basket?

Hello and welcome to the forum (y)

I tried to search for an answer for you but my main hang up is that the snapper options are based around zenoah and cy engine designs and even on the zenoah old and new versions of engines call for 2 different styles of baskets and im not too sure what king motors used as an engine style to clone. Any pictures of the engine and crank to take a look at that may help?

Hello and welcome to the forum (y)

I tried to search for an answer for you but my main hang up is that the snapper options are based around zenoah and cy engine designs and even on the zenoah old and new versions of engines call for 2 different styles of baskets and im not too sure what king motors used as an engine style to clone. Any pictures of the engine and crank to take a look at that may help?
Guess I’m a lil premature
I won’t have the buggy until Thursday

Nah your fine. If I may ask what has led you to the snapper? I have looked at it in the past and have been steered away from it. Have you considered the FS full steel clutch? I have 2 rigs running it and they are like a forever clutch

I’m a full on boot to gas & 1/5 scale
Been running & building electric for ever
But hangin with some gas guys at the park
I gotta have one but it’s obvious I’ve got a lot to learn. I appreciate your feedback. I’ll check the FS. All I know about the motor is it’s a 30.5cc

We've all been there and glad you decided to go gas (y) its a good start to get into gas rc and honestly I have full mod engines running the fs clutch and they do very well and ill say the clutches will most likely outlast the engines that spin them. You will be making the right choice by going with the fs and you'll be saving money to put it into other areas of the rig that will need upgrading. Since you say your new I just want to jump ahead and just warn you as king motors is a clone company just be prepared for things to break and you may get frustrated with it. From what we have seen here the clone cars are a luck of the draw.

Also make sure if you go with fs to get the clutch bolts and washers as ddm does not sell the clutch as an entire unit.

We've all been there and glad you decided to go gas (y) its a good start to get into gas rc and honestly I have full mod engines running the fs clutch and they do very well and ill say the clutches will most likely outlast the engines that spin them. You will be making the right choice by going with the fs and you'll be saving money to put it into other areas of the rig that will need upgrading. Since you say your new I just want to jump ahead and just warn you as king motors is a clone company just be prepared for things to break and you may get frustrated with it. From what we have seen here the clone cars are a luck of the draw.

Also make sure if you go with fs to get the clutch bolts and washers as ddm does not sell the clutch as an entire unit.
Haha yea I know I’m gonna break stuff
I’m real good at that. But I do like to wrench. My only exposure to 1/5 has been clones and have been getting good info on the weaknesses from the guys running them. Figure for my needs it would be a decent entry level buggy but I know I’ll be spending more on it.

Absolutely I enjoy the wrenching just as much as driving them. Im glad you did your research so that should make it less stressful later on lol.
Im not sure if you know about DDM but its an online 5th scale store and you can get plenty of baja related parts that should work on your rig.

Here's the part #'s on ddm's website if you wanna check out the fs clutch

FS clutch part# gt281FS
Clutch bolts x2 part# gt285
Flat washer x2 part# gt287
Wave washer x2 part# gt288

Absolutely I enjoy the wrenching just as much as driving them. Im glad you did your research so that should make it less stressful later on lol.
Im not sure if you know about DDM but its an online 5th scale store and you can get plenty of baja related parts that should work on your rig.

Here's the part #'s on ddm's website if you wanna check out the fs clutch

FS clutch part# gt281FS
Clutch bolts x2 part# gt285
Flat washer x2 part# gt287
Wave washer x2 part# gt288
Yea man thanx
I’ll check it out
Do you need to upgrade basket or housing or will stock work. Also do you know anything about the Thor pipe or what kinda pipe do u recommend?

Not a problem. And no you won't have to upgrade anything but the clutch if using the fs one as its just taking one clutch out and putting pretty much identical one in its place but the only difference is its full steel and the clutch spring is 8k rpm engagement so it should give you better performance.

As far as pipes I haven't heard of thor. Baja's aren't really my department and I know little about them as I have a vekta and a losi 5t but im sure the other baja guys will chime in to help you out. A good pipe honestly is as good as the money you spend on it. I would suggest a victory rc pipe (VRC) for your baja and you will simply be amazed what a pipe can do to wake up that engine.

Kool
Guy at the park has a Vekta
That’s a sweet car! Some day.
I am a 2 stroke crotch rocket guy from back in the day so I do know the value of a good tuned pipe. And like you say money’s the limit. Well thanx again for all the info
Great chatting with ya but I gotta remember not everybody is an insomniac like me so better let ya go.
the thor pipe is mediocre at best. a pipe by olimat or victory rc will be good
Kool thanx
I’ll check it out.

Funny we just resurrected an old snapper clutch thread, 😄.
Welcome mate, fs clutch fan here as well. I like to keep it simple. Seen quite a few posts of guys having issues with the snapper system. Have yet to smoke an fs. Actually the one in my 5ive t is the one I had in my dbxl, that had gallons and gallons of fuel through it. Never any signs of wear yet.

☝️Hes a baja guy
👍🏻
Funny we just resurrected an old snapper clutch thread, 😄.
Welcome mate, fs clutch fan here as well. I like to keep it simple. Seen quite a few posts of guys having issues with the snapper system. Have yet to smoke an fs. Actually the one in my 5ive t is the one I had in my dbxl, that had gallons and gallons of fuel through it. Never any signs of wear yet.
Glad I joined
I’ve learned a lot tonight
Sold on FS already

Hello and welcome, I run a KM Baja.

Stick with the stock clutch until you wear it out. They aren't a bad clutch at all, could maybe purchase the FS one if you want to keep in your spares box.
Buy a bag of drive pins, E clips and various M3, M4 and M5 nuts and bolts.
If the KM comes with the clone Dominator pipe again they aren't a bad pipe, there is better out there but at £25 to replace if you break it, it keeps it cheap.
Buy a filter outerwear, various shock oils, diff oils and a pot of grease.
When you get the rig rip it to pieces, fill the diff with 10k diff oil and start from there, make sure there is plenty grease in gearbox case, check shocks etc.
Loctite any bolts into metal as it will shake them loose.
Buy a front chassis brace or the RPM front bumper, it'll save the chassis.
They don't handle anything like an electric rig, but they are great fun.
Post some pics when you get it.

Stick with the stock clutch until you wear it out. They aren't a bad clutch at all, could maybe purchase the FS one if you want to keep in your spares box.
If the KM comes with the clone Dominator pipe again they aren't a bad pipe, there is better out there but at £25 to replace if you break it, it keeps it cheap.
When you get the rig rip it to pieces, fill the diff with 10k diff oil and start from there, make sure there is plenty grease in gearbox case, check shocks etc.
Thanx a bunch for the feedback
Tear down and lock tight are first on the list. I do plan on wearing out stock clutch and other parts until I get the feel for it. ✌🏻

Hey back again for quick ?
what are the drive pins u refer to? In the wheel hex? I found packs of hinge pins and clips not sure what I’m looking for.
Thanx

Last edited:
Thanx a bunch for the feedback
Tear down and lock tight are first on the list. I do plan on wearing out stock clutch and other parts until I get the feel for it. ✌🏻

Hey back again for quick ?
what are the drive pins u refer to? In the wheel hex? I found packs of hinge pins and clips not sure what I’m looking for.
Thanx
Yeah the ones in the hex, believe they are 4mm x 24mm. We have all lost at least one, or snapped one.
As for the E clips, they are used for holding the spur on and also the hinge pins, again we've all lost one of those. For the hinge pins I now use circlips instead of E clips, I can't remember the sizes right now but you'll find them on DDM or RCModelz, or buy a selection box of them with various sizes.
Found what they are.

E-7HD clips are used on some front hubs, also used to hold the spur on.
E-4HD clips are used for the hinge pins.

Drive pins are 4mm x 24mm

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks