spents hpi baja bitsa 45 build,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching me ?. I know I'm not the best, or even close to.
Just keeping the big head syndrome in check ?????
Big Head GIF by memecandy

again low on time today, been shopping etc :LOL:,
but managed to sort the hubs out, fresh bearings, hexes shimmed , dug out some boots and generally cleaned up the hubs cos they were a tad dirty (y),also dug out some heims for the hostiles as well as the spacers for rear upper a aems,

lol slow and steady progress,
fitted the front and rear hubs and bones etc, its now joined together. looks more like a car (y),
also need to find a fresh bung for the tank, its still set up for the twin, two clunks, return and vent,
and needs fresh fuel line as well,
and lol, yeh theres mega droop on the rear, limiting cables will be going on there as well :D

not sure if anyone else has ever done this, i did this ages ago when the twin was in the baja, i was sick of popping off the steering links and spending ages looking round a field to find em,
so added some cables to retain em when they pop off,
i think they were just a pair of spare front/rear swingy p limiting cables i had,
works great thoough, just need to make sure theres a tad of slack so the steering don't bind when it goes through the suspension travel,

bit of a story :LOL:,
so tonight i went in the workshop to get some more done,
but needed to find a bolt for the vertigo clutch bell, well i've always assumed that the bolt was an oddball size,
i know i have one, usually keep the bolt screwed into the bell with vertigo ones (i have three, two are on other cars)
anyways, couldnt find one anywhere, spent over two hours searching,
then decided to order a couple of new ones , went online and no one has one in the uk it seems,
turned computer off, then realised rob at i-rc might have some,
turned computer back on and i-rc site has a server issue and is down,
so went back for a look in the workshop and still no joy,
then found a box of stainless m8 capheads and though it wont work but give it a try,
well m8screwed straight in and nice and smooth on the threads, tightend it down and its fine,
so turns out vertigo bell bolts aint an oddball size :ROFLMAO:,
yeh its a caphead and cant run a gear cover with it unless i drill a hole for the bolt to poke through,
but that aint an issue, using my titanium spur carrier anyways and its a shame to cover that up (y),
just need to find a washer and jobs a goodun,
yeh a bit long winded this post but never got anything else done rc wise today :ROFLMAO:,

weeeeel, sort of realised a mistake i made today:LOL:,
fitted a turtle front top plate for a 5b, so 5b plate don't work with the cage fitting kit unless ya machine some of it down, so found a gtb plate for a truck/cage style and swapped that out,
spot the difference :LOL:,

then sorted the bell carrier out, needed to shim the spur properly and the pinion etc, so had all that together then took the carrier back off,
vertigo 12mm hex's aint meant to be used with the hpi ally carrier, i modded this one for the twin way back when, mod is just the correct bearings size wise and two small spacers that fit behind each bearing,

then just added the cage posts as well and the tank brace etc etc,

and yes the i-rc chassis is pocketed, thats sommat else i did ages ago as well to drop weight,
tbh the amount of weight reduced aint worth the effort, but every little helped at the time (y),

and then couldnt find the feckin small alloy spacers for the rear uprights, i put em in a safe place so i wouldnt lose em, fecked if i know where that safe place is though :ROFLMAO:, i'll make some instead (y),
also worked out i cant use the turtle front brace cos of the truck/cage mounts, so rear tr brace only,

soooooooooo, stripped the i-rc big bores and gave em a good clean,
this set were unknown condition wise cos they were used when i aquired em :D,
one front one had a leak, but turned out just to be the seal retainer inside had popped off, squeezed it back into its groove with a small vice and spacer and fixed (y),

rebuilt and filled with 45wt oil, then bled etc ,

rears fitted along with the turtle doodad, still needs the limiting cables fitting,

fronts fitted, along with an upside down i-rc shock brace, only way to get a brace on the front with the truck/cage mounting stuff on there, the i-rc brace stiffens it up really well between the shocks though (y),again limiting cables still need to go on, need to find some longer bolts first before i can fit those on the front though,

then tidied the bench off a tad ,and pushed the baja to the back for a while,

then got the spovan/zelda engine out to have a closer look at it :ROFLMAO:

stripped off the pull start, fan case , shroud , need to fit the kill switch wiring so needed to come off anyways,
looks not so bad tbh, they actually used threadlock on some parts :ROFLMAO:,
castings aint bad at all, flywheel looks like a stock zen/cy size thats been machined to accept the 45's bigger pull start inner bit,

they were keen on using silicon as well as the gaskets though ,

not sure how long the clutch will last though, the friction material looks ok though, (y),
its not a coal dust clutch at least :ROFLMAO:,
the engines gonna be run as is at first, so not gonna strip it right down yet, will reset the coil gap and go round and make sure all is tight before its run though, i did take a close up pic of the carb as well, but the pic came out wank :LOL:, itbhas 1191 on the underside, as well as what looks like wt- 962 or 992 ?

can everyone see the pics ? when i went edit they show up as they should, but when i click save all i can see is the red cross in a box thing ffs,
might be postimage issue, just re did the pics and seems the same, i'll try and reupload em to postimage later on and swap em out, see if that works (y)

Last edited:
1191 specs out same as an 1107. Just rovan branded.
thanks for that sean (y),
i will try the rovan 1191 and see what happens,
i do have a couple brand new 1107's here as well though so if the 1191's wank i'll swap it out,

lol pics fixed, had to erase originals on postimage and reupload em,
so looks like it was a postimage issue, fixed now though (y):LOL:

Only took y 5hrs ?‍♂️?
lmao z zee zed, well my excuse is spare ribs, spring rolls and cheesy bread (y), i was hungry :LOL: food came first,
and postimage wouldnt let me delete the originals for a few hours , so was an issue with them i think,
i have had this happen once before as well,
i have to use hosting service though cos pics are taken with go pro and always have to upload to a host before posting ,
my phones crap :LOL:

just a short update to this, no pics cos only had half an hour in workshop, xmas shopping crap to sort out etc :ROFLMAO:,
now the rofun, zelda, spovan engine,
sommat i've read is that you should NEVER use a piston stopper on these engines cos the piston top is thinner than say a zen 32 one,
i hate using stoppers anyways so that aint an issue, but just thought i'd post that here for info (y),

other thing is the coil gap is too tight from the getgo, so defo needs resetting, you can just feel the coil catch the flywheel when turning slowly by hand,
not enough to damage owt, but it does catch,
and OMG, WTF :ROFLMAO:, thought i'd pull the plug and have a looksy down the hole,
well whoever they have fitting the spark plugs at rofun factory needs firing,
talk about tight in there,ngk cmr7 plug, plugs fine, so are the head threads, but feck me did they tighten the plug down :ROFLMAO:

just a short update to this, no pics cos only had half an hour in workshop, xmas shopping crap to sort out etc :ROFLMAO:,
now the rofun, zelda, spovan engine,
sommat i've read is that you should NEVER use a piston stopper on these engines cos the piston top is thinner than say a zen 32 one,
i hate using stoppers anyways so that aint an issue, but just thought i'd post that here for info (y),

other thing is the coil gap is too tight from the getgo, so defo needs resetting, you can just feel the coil catch the flywheel when turning slowly by hand,
not enough to damage owt, but it does catch,
and OMG, WTF :ROFLMAO:, thought i'd pull the plug and have a looksy down the hole,
well whoever they have fitting the spark plugs at rofun factory needs firing,
talk about tight in there,ngk cmr7 plug, plugs fine, so are the head threads, but feck me did they tighten the plug down :ROFLMAO:
High quality needs strong hands to assemble

High quality needs strong hands to assemble

lmao sean, yeh high quality (y):LOL:, tbh the quality visually seems quite good,
time will tell once its running though,
i did actually check to make sure they hadn't threadlocked the fecker in it was that tight,
no the hadn't :ROFLMAO:, they just squashed the crush washer fully then went a tad more on the tightness

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks