The $350 reedcase engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp this will be my last updoot for this thread. If I decide to rebuild this engine again it will be under the premise of another topic.

After ALL that which I have worked for "blood sweat tears" its finally complete and im happy with it. It a gas guzzler but it needs to be to handle that compression. Doing that carb mod fixed the issues I had with the tuning and man oh man for a self ported engine this really hits the sweet spot.

Wish better reedcases were cheaper so that I could have fun building more engines however ill digress, this was a very expensive experiment and lesson however it IS a success. Ill let the idle video speak for itself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vRwcQMoiq7byGCdu9

Now to find something to put it in. Probably won't for a few months though because I really have my FG project to do still.

The 1107 is rated up to 50cc engines. There are few things to be done to get more fuel to them, but that also makes them more sensitive to idle settings. The rooster tail is bored out, and has a few other little things done to it in the metering circuit. Idk what specifically, but fro. the cryptic conversation I had with them about it, that's what I got out of them. Any of the larger wt series would work fine. The wj series had smaller bore carbs, but are a pain to find. The wj71 is common in large scale flight, I think that's half the reason we see it so much in 1/5 rc. I'd have to check numbers to be sure but I think a wt199 would work nicely. May be a bit over kill, use it on 50-60cc. 50cc only of ported in saw land.
There Ya go !
Welp this will be my last updoot for this thread. If I decide to rebuild this engine again it will be under the premise of another topic.

After ALL that which I have worked for "blood sweat tears" its finally complete and im happy with it. It a gas guzzler but it needs to be to handle that compression. Doing that carb mod fixed the issues I had with the tuning and man oh man for a self ported engine this really hits the sweet spot.

Wish better reedcases were cheaper so that I could have fun building more engines however ill digress, this was a very expensive experiment and lesson however it IS a success. Ill let the idle video speak for itself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vRwcQMoiq7byGCdu9

Now to find something to put it in. Probably won't for a few months though because I really have my FG project to do still.
Send it to me I'll Dyno it and put it in a Rovan LMFAO !

So I have a bit of a dilemma right now. I finally put the engine into its rig and took it out for a test rip. At first I couldn't get the tune right however I realized it was starved for air. Tuneing it normally I noticed it kept needed more and more air so I kept giving it more fuel and kept seeing positive changes in its speed and torque until I maximized out the 1191 and couldn't give it any more low-end fuel. However it still wants more and it already is starting to have crazy acceleration and torque. My RPMs were starting to hit 17k under load... I realized now I think I may have made a monster because my engine is now starting to sound like a big bore with its slow loud pop and whiney acceleration.

I just ordered a DL61 hopeing that will solve my air and fuel problems. Probably should have just splurged on the wj71 but I wanna see if I can get further positive reactions from giving it more air and fuel. Ill try to get a video this weekend. Before I accedently broke the drivetrain it was giving me bad reactions on the low end throttle until I figured out where the high speed needle needed to be and man it sounds crazy.

Lastly I finally heard what it sounds like to have pre detonation. Changing to 93 octane fixed it but it seriously scared the crap outta me. Backfiring sounded like gunshots

Can you just please give a quick run down of what this engine has done to it. (gotta catch up on this thread)
Important things are that I vastly opened the ports and shaped the top of them so air forces towards the front of the dome. Windowed and lightened piston. 5th port. 11 degree cut on the squish and reduced dome. And a bit of reshaping of exhaust.

So I have a bit of a dilemma right now. I finally put the engine into its rig and took it out for a test rip. At first I couldn't get the tune right however I realized it was starved for air. Tuneing it normally I noticed it kept needed more and more air so I kept giving it more fuel and kept seeing positive changes in its speed and torque until I maximized out the 1191 and couldn't give it any more low-end fuel. However it still wants more and it already is starting to have crazy acceleration and torque. My RPMs were starting to hit 17k under load... I realized now I think I may have made a monster because my engine is now starting to sound like a big bore with its slow loud pop and whiney acceleration.

I just ordered a DL61 hopeing that will solve my air and fuel problems. Probably should have just splurged on the wj71 but I wanna see if I can get further positive reactions from giving it more air and fuel. Ill try to get a video this weekend. Before I accedently broke the drivetrain it was giving me bad reactions on the low end throttle until I figured out where the high speed needle needed to be and man it sounds crazy.

Lastly I finally heard what it sounds like to have pre detonation. Changing to 93 octane fixed it but it seriously scared the crap outta me. Backfiring sounded like gunshots
don't take this the wrong way trooper, cos no offense is meant by this post mate :),
but yer post above is a bit confusing,
you say it needs more air, but then say you added more fuel,
then ya say it has backfire and detonation, i take it the internals, piston top/exhaust port are free from carbon and the headers free from carbon so detonation shouldnt really be an issue, unless as far as i can see its a timing problem, and/or excess fuel in the pipe,
have you pulled the head and checked for damage from detonation ? might be the start of a meltdown or smearing the piston happening in there,
just questions trooper, not having a go at ya (y)

Nice catch. I meant prefire. Was firing on the squish. BTW its a bit hard to explain with the carb. Essentially I need to keep the butterfly open a bit inorder to give it the proper low end fuel however the low end fuel needs to be backed out all the way inorder for it to have good response. Because of this it has slow acceleration. I need the carb to be at full closed inorder for the low end fuel to be at the correct setting this is why I need a bigger carb. It basically is starved for air at idle. The high end suffers a bit now because I'm already giving it so much at idle it can't give anymore when the butterfly is at full open and it needs more when I'm at full acceleration.

Its an odd issue to have considering in theory a 1191 should be more then enough for a 32cc but its not. I considered trying out burning alcohol instead because my compression is so high it can run it and probably would run better with it instead but I haven't given up on running high octane yet.

Last edited:
No your compensating for a junk carb running lean on the idle circuit. These little carbs are rated up to 50cc. There's something wrong with your carb, if your keeping the throttle plate open to the point, where you getting the main jet to meter for idle. You have all the classic symptoms of it. Besides the fact that rc max, runs a 990 on quite a few of their big bores.
What your compression? I have engines running very happy on high test, with 240lbs compression.
What's your ignition timing set at?
Your biggest issue seems to be, you lack the understanding of how the complete engine works together. By what you have said, you clearly don't understand how carbs work. And I also doubt you checked to see what your ignition timing was at after you finished the engine. Remember moving the cylinder up and down for machining moves where tdc is, and changes the timing accordingly.
Again, and I'm not poking fun at you, you haven't done anything that hasn't been done before, but your having all the issues that people have when they first start porting and don't understand the entire system.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks