The $350 reedcase engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
isnt Rovan and Rofun the same thing ??
Technically yes, but you can tell by comparing both that different moulds are used to make the parts. Everything was different even the wrist pin is different. I think Rovan must have technical specs that are for their parts only OR another explanation is that this topend COULD be really their 36cc version. Is the 36cc a 38mm bore?

yeh on rcm site everything as spares for the 36cc is listed as 39mm bore trooper, so if your measurement is 38mm then rcm site is wrong ,
Well I bought the 32cc so I suspect this truly is 32cc however im just saying it COULD be a mistake on RCM's part? 36cc would technically be possible in a 32cc jug. The more likely scenario is that rovan is getting bad parts.

*EDIT* After some research and math I noticed the 36cc IS different. So I'm 100% sure either Rovan is getting bad parts OR this is a 30mm crank out of the 32cc Rofun engine. Only way I can tell is with a measure wheel which I don't have yet but measuring with a caliper it SEEMS like the rovan engine has ports timed in the wrong locations.

Last edited:
Well I bought the 32cc so I suspect this truly is 32cc however im just saying it COULD be a mistake on RCM's part? 36cc would technically be possible in a 32cc jug. The more likely scenario is that rovan is getting bad parts.

*EDIT* After some research and math I noticed the 36cc IS different. So I'm 100% sure either Rovan is getting bad parts OR this is a 30mm crank out of the 32cc Rofun engine. Only way I can tell is with a measure wheel which I don't have yet but measuring with a caliper it SEEMS like the rovan engine has ports timed in the wrong locations.
yeh agree trooper, it wouldnt be the first time theres been mistakes on rcm's site, although to be fair its a fairly rare occurance,
had a poke around myself and from what i can see the 36cc crank is the same as the 32cc to 34cc crank, the plus 2mm 30mm stroke crank i mean, and the cylinder/head is 39mm bore for the 36, the 32 and 36 from what i see share the same head gasket as well, could wrong info though,
the 45cc engine i have has a different crank again , and engine specific crank case for the 45, although it seems the 45 shares the bearings and seals of the 32/36 ,
keep at it trooper cos i'm learning from your findings as well (y),

So my failures = everyone else's success. After fighting those bolts I found you can find the correct replacements at hobbyking. Its pretty much the only place I could find the correct sizes cheap.
I have to redo the piston because a "final destination" series of events caused my piston to fall onto the concrete.
The rovan head is going in the garbage where it belongs. Never buy rovan over Rofun unless you need a pullstart as the Rofun pullstart is garbage put of the box.
Im thinking about buying a 30mm stroker from DDM but I'm gonna see if anyone can sell me one used first.
The bearings were sealed and I learned the hard way that sealed bearings will die quickly if you don't remove the seal. It ate away my case seals aswell.
Im thinking about making a case cutter with the cobalt I have because I want to knock .02 off my squish "might be able to do that with the 30mm stroker if this crank already isn't one. I haven't determined that yet". 2 to 3 weeks at most well see once the parts come in.

In terms of REED valves. Is it possible that the areaRC reed valve are standard or are they custom cus I want to get rid of a possible problem that could arise in the future. Also in terms of the intake plate. Im thinking about 3d printing a replacement then making a mould in silicone and casting it in a high temp resin material.

other peoples failures = everyone elses success = yes mate (y),
i always post up my mistakes and share on forums cos 1; it usually gives someone a laugh :LOL:,
and 2; if my own mistake can save someone else some time or money then thats a bonus (y),
check your reedcase thread trooper, i think you're about to run into an issue mate,
give me a minute to do a post though,

edit; feck it, i mean check your fg thread :ROFLMAO:

So my failures = everyone else's success. After fighting those bolts I found you can find the correct replacements at hobbyking. Its pretty much the only place I could find the correct sizes cheap.
I have to redo the piston because a "final destination" series of events caused my piston to fall onto the concrete.
The rovan head is going in the garbage where it belongs. Never buy rovan over Rofun unless you need a pullstart as the Rofun pullstart is garbage put of the box.
Im thinking about buying a 30mm stroker from DDM but I'm gonna see if anyone can sell me one used first.
The bearings were sealed and I learned the hard way that sealed bearings will die quickly if you don't remove the seal. It ate away my case seals aswell.
Im thinking about making a case cutter with the cobalt I have because I want to knock .02 off my squish "might be able to do that with the 30mm stroker if this crank already isn't one. I haven't determined that yet". 2 to 3 weeks at most well see once the parts come in.

In terms of REED valves. Is it possible that the areaRC reed valve are standard or are they custom cus I want to get rid of a possible problem that could arise in the future. Also in terms of the intake plate. Im thinking about 3d printing a replacement then making a mould in silicone and casting it in a high temp resin material.
Yep my daughter killed a piston I had just finished lightening in my g320 for the dbxl. Life sucks.
I cant remember the guys name off the top of my head, I think he was on ope forum. He had what he called mandrel made up to cut the base and cut squish. Was rather rudimentary, but worked well. If I get some free time tonight I'll look for it. It was adjustable for multiple cylinders and you could adjust for depth of cut as well.

Ok so I found a way to measure the stroke and this is what I found. The king motors crank IS a 30mm stroke however the crank part is smaller which is why I have a larger squish. The stock one IS 28mm however the conrods pivot point is farther out the crank. Wondering now if I should just use the 30mm stroker and shorten the base of the cylinder. One thing I never thought about is whether or not the space between the crank and the bottom of the case is detrimental or not.

THIS means the king motors 30mm crank is unlike anything out on the market and 34cc engines can be created by cutting engine bases now!!!!! However stock the piston strokes lower because Rovan doesn't understand how 30mm cranks work.

Last edited:
Welp gonna have to postpone. I heard it slightly pop for a few seconds and it sounded NASTY. TBH it didn't sound like any engine I have ever heard at this CC so I'm considering this a success for the time being.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/28hXSdbDUPoCN9Su6

Attachments

• 20210126_124837.jpg
    20210126_124837.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210126_141200.jpg
    20210126_141200.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 22
steve brule what GIF

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks