Thread locker on alloy diffs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizzer

Canadian Rednek! 🍻
Lifetime PLUS!
PLUS member
For those of you with experience running alloy diff housings I was just wondering what is the consensus on using thread locker with them?

Is it needed, those bolts are pretty long but only 4mm don’t want to cause myself major headaches in the future when I need to service them!

Last edited:
Blue thread lock on metal to metal, then use a torque wrench if your ham fisted, weak, zero mechanical sympathy or clueless.

3Nm minimum, 5Nm maximum unless it’s engine or clutch related, then you must use manufacturers recommendations. Only use red thread lock if you have the confidence to remove it with a soldering iron that goes above 250 Celsius or a mini blow torch. 👍🏾

Yeah, actually going to try going to the blue solid stick. My buddy who manages a auto parts store said he switched to using it on his full-size stuff and really likes it. Figured it would be a little easier to apply in small controlled amounts rather than the liquid.
Been using the blue and red solid loctite sticks for a short while now. I personally prefer them in most applications. Lil more pricey but I like em.

By hand has never let me down👍🏻 never used loctite on them bolts👍🏻
Put the diff in with the bolt heads facing right towards the gear plate
Done👍🏻
I am a little heavy handed and was worried about that in combination with thread locker. I can come pretty close estimating 35-90 ft lbs by feel but 3Nm no clue on those lower torques!

I use both solid and liquid depending on part. I just use a torque wrench because of they way I was trained, there should be a correct tension for everything. I also use more carbon than most and I don’t want to crush it. But anyway 3-5Nm with a bit of blue works for me, stuff doesn’t come loose and I can undo it to service it.

I learnt the hard way either destroying stuff or hacking, notching and cutting. Fcuk that, there is always a happy medium which means checking stuff regularly, basically after every couple of runs. You’ll get used to what want to come loose first. In most circumstances if you get something stuck it’s as bad if not worse than backing out. There’s always the exeption though.

Back