traxxas 1/16 e-revo vxl with 2.4 ghz radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is slow I've slowed it right down to stop the over heating e.g stock gearing 28 pinion 50 spur I'm running 21 pinion 55 spur and running parallel will not make it any faster just give more run time if any thing the extra weight will slow it down, plus im running bead loc rims that are 5 x heavier then stock, If you have followed this thread you'll see I've been there and done that with series nimh 2s and 3s lipos for the last 5 months ;-) now it's winter so It should run alot cooler.

Ive run 31 stock nimh batteries and 36 x 2s lipo,s 10 x 3s lipo and my stock vxl motor and esc are still running well, not sure how long the motor,s are meant to last.

i checked over my merv quickly last night and i have a broken right upper suspension arm, that could of been caused by the crash in the last video i posted up flat out into a wooden post or the flips and jumps i was doing in the sand pit, nothing to brag about just having fun, but i did get any footage as i couldnt film and drive.

ill disagree with putting oil on the bearings for off road use, the dirt and dust will stick to it shortening the life of the bearings and motor in my opinion.

second the motors i don't think will last forever and if they run warm or hot, they will eventualy loose magnitisim then causing them selfs to use more power producing more heat and sucking more juice from the esc and batteries, then some thing will give like bearings, glue on the magnet,s, esc and so on.

just my opinion my 2 cents

Why ask the question then?

I've found Novak unreliable, Traxxas' (Castle?) VERY reliable.
YES, they get hot. YES they have a thermal cutout which should save matters save for ignorant use - if it cuts out several times, you've got a problem - tight transmission or overgearing or a mix of the 2.

Generally, they will last a very long time.

If you're in dusty environments, then keep an eye on the bearings - shouldn't run dry either. One magazine I found in USA recommended a drop of oil every so often and a strip down every year or as considered necessary to clean the rotor, check for wear and YES, an odd drop on the bearings.
If the bearings are sealed, they shouldn't need oiling, but also, if the oil's light, and the motor gets very hot, this heat will be transmitted inclusive of to the bearings and will volatilise some of it.

My original comment is obviously relative and depends on application and use.

Al.

since this is my merv thread ill let you know the vxl bearings are sealed it is not recomended to put oil on them in my conditions even running on grass causes dust and dirt to stick to the bearings its why we run dry gear box gears and pinion and spur gears.

ive found over the years not to pay to much attention to the usa or the uk as the conditions to australia are diffrent not to mention the attitudes to products, driving styles, temp and so on and so on.

i personaly feel some of your statments missleading to a noob to brushless and the merv,s running gear is not a perfect ballance, its over geared and to high a Kv to meet traxxas speed claims in my opinion witch cause it to run hot and even more so in warm to hot ambient temps.

in a perffect world the bl motor, esc and batteries never should run more then warm now ill ask if you have no possitive comments and if you feel the need to post up aww thats slow, just don't as most people new or seasoned will think its rude.

as i feel running 2.2" tyres with supper heavy bead loc rims on a merv with a center diff being able to pull drifts, 4 wheel burn outs and wheelies with a center diff with 21/55 gearing (insane torque) while having a picnic with my wife and daughter and feedeing the ducks is dam awsome.

so why come on here on my thread and be negitive and make comments on some thing you know nothing about (my merv and conditions 110 f plus ambient temp) its clear you have not followed or read the thread for a while and just jumped in with your negivitive comments, just added clutter to this thread in my opinion.

if you want to start a brushless debate make a new thread or pm please thanks Shane

a little update, i cleaned the Merv up with my new compressor (my old one lost its guts) i installed the 2.5mm lock nut on the hitec blue alloy servo horn, the ball end is a tad short so ill have to keep an eye on it, if it comes out ill make up my own with a longer thread or ill just use the plastic end off the stock plastic traxxas horn.

i fixed a wobbly i had on one of the Titus bead loc rims due to the washer was slightly out of place removed the washer now I'm good to go no major wobbly, i also thought ill give the motor heat sink and fan ago Ive had it sitting here for a while now, i tried to keep the Merv as stock as i could and use gearing to make it run cooler for my driving style and weather conditions but i wasn't able to and was limited a little with gears.

Ive also found that Robinson racing gears are no good to soft and the venom gears last and wear better, never thought ill say that as Ive never been a fan of venom gear and have had good results with Robinson racing gears on my nitro's back in the day and on my large scales.

I'm going to take the Merv to one of my fav bash spots and test out the dirt hawgs to make up my own mind on them and try out the 21/55 gearing on dirt and hard packed with some loose stuff on top, it makes supper fine dust.

a quick picture of the old girl all cleaned up with the heat sink.

100_4896.jpg

since this is my merv thread ill let you know the vxl bearings are sealed it is not recomended to put oil on them in my conditions even running on grass causes dust and dirt to stick to the bearings its why we run dry gear box gears and pinion and spur gears.

ive found over the years not to pay to much attention to the usa or the uk as the conditions to australia are diffrent not to mention the attitudes to products, driving styles, temp and so on and so on.

i personaly feel some of your statments missleading to a noob to brushless and the merv,s running gear is not a perfect ballance, its over geared and to high a Kv to meet traxxas speed claims in my opinion witch cause it to run hot and even more so in warm to hot ambient temps.

in a perffect world the bl motor, esc and batteries never should run more then warm now ill ask if you have no possitive comments and if you feel the need to post up aww thats slow, just don't as most people new or seasoned will think its rude.

as i feel running 2.2" tyres with supper heavy bead loc rims on a merv with a center diff being able to pull drifts, 4 wheel burn outs and wheelies with a center diff with 21/55 gearing (insane torque) while having a picnic with my wife and daughter and feedeing the ducks is dam awsome.

so why come on here on my thread and be negitive and make comments on some thing you know nothing about (my merv and conditions 110 f plus ambient temp) its clear you have not followed or read the thread for a while and just jumped in with your negivitive comments, just added clutter to this thread in my opinion.

if you want to start a brushless debate make a new thread or pm please thanks Shane

Shane, the idea of a thread is a discussion, and that people are open to their opinions.
If you wish to dictate this is how it is so be it.
Won't write another word on your thread.
Al.

i stand by post number 251, its my opinion, i disagree with you ! and some of what you said, it seams you disagree with my opinions and my personal feelings and experince on my thread, your not valuing my opinions and feelings your disrepectful and to slack to follow this thread or read whats writen, you just look at a picture or quick video and comment.

ive tryed to move on and keep the post rolling, but here we are again your back with your point of veiw comming across rude, i will ask you not to comment on my thread,s now since this thread is about my merv in my conditions, my merv expernice. i ask you if you want to make a brushless debate thats got nothing to do with my thread or my merv (as your not talking about the merv or my conditions) i ask you to make another thread, as i think this would be a great idea Al :)

i forgot to mention, my tires are on back wards and to fit the heat sink and fan i had to raise the rear body mount 2 holes and the front body mount one hole i could only do one hole so the body can still easily fit the front bumper mount and you cant see the mount groves in the body, i thought it would look better.

i also had to move the fan as far back as i could to clear the body on the inside of the roof but it still sites very close so i tilled it to the side giving it more clearance to move air, but i feel a couple good flips or some hard upside down landings there goes the fan and it will cause a bent motor mount, i tyred to fit the fan to the esc but wasnt happy with the fit i could only get two screws in and it jammed the fan causing it to stop working

a guy down here with a merv has done a few upgrades, running twin lipos. recently compared it against a stock merv.

because of weight etc the stock merv got better run times and wasnt as hard on the running gear as it was lighter.

just something to keep in mind........maybe

so true the extra weight of the titus bead loc,s and dual lipos and the fact you have to gear so low a stock merv with stock gearing on one 2s lipo would fly past lols

i found a new use for the p350 power supply, my iphone was flat but i wanted to listen to music while working on my 1:1 scale car I'm glad i brought the double cigarette lighter socket out let, Ive used it a few times now with the p350 power supply in the shed and it saves me bring stuff down from the house as i forget it then need it in the middle of the night.

100_4909.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks