traxxas 1/16 e-revo vxl with 2.4 ghz radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i finaly got the last few parts i needed for the rebuild i started a while back, new wing, new front body/bumper mount and servo saver / bell crank

100_5118.jpg

i did not end up using the new servo saver / bell crank i worked on the old one some more to free it up more, im happy with it now so ill save the new one after a few more dirt/sand runs that seize up the servo savers and scratches the internals up pritty bad and stops them from working

here is the finshed product my rebuild merv ready for a bash, just got to wait for a half decent day weather wise.

100_5124.jpg

the water has gone but the cold hasnt im hoping to sneak out for a bash tomorow, i don't want to check the forcast for tomorrow as i like the idea of hope

i took the Merv out for a drive today most places where wet or muddy so i just went down the local park, i was worried i wouldn't have any radio range as last time down the skate park running with out the body one we flipped and ground off some of the areal, the areal on the RX is like a futaba 3mp or 3pmx 2.4ghz RX the last inch is a thin clear wire and mines miss about half that now, but i still was able to travel end to end of the park so the range is still very good.

a quick video running 2s lipo,s in parallel

a very quick video running 3s lipo's in parallel do some wheelies test the new wing out.

the last video was funny you cant really see it cause of my crap camera, the front tires where like pizza cutters. my center diff didn't feel the best today and after doing to many wheelies like the one,s in the second video and many full throttle spin outs it let go, i also broke a balance wire off one on my oldest 2s zippy battery so i cut all the wires off and its sitting in a bucket of water now, we gave my 4 y/o a drive she did well but went full throttle into a 5 foot rock but the Merv,s not damaged, i had a good time it was good to have a drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
today i pull the center diff out to have a look, it was full of plastic and metal from the gears, the diff seals had blown out and the bolts holding it together had chunks cut out of them for the 3 little internal gears, there must of been a lot of pressure on the poor thing to do that.

I was amazed the center diff lasted so long, i got my money,s worth out of it and ran it a fair bit on 3s lipo,s with the bigger dirt hawgs and heavy bead loc rims, i was also amazed that the gear box bearings where still good, and there was only a little wear on the alloy gear inside the gear box the plastic gears where fine after all the battery pack,s Ive put through it.

so i put in the used stock fixed gear that the Merv comes with in so now even power will go to the front and rear making it a bit more nuts to control and since the weather is a lot cooler i swapped out the 21t pinion for a 23t pinion so now I'm running 23/55 gearing, so it will be a little faster.

on a bad note the motor feels a bit ruff and i will say it will give up soon from bearing failure, not bad for 87 battery packs of hard use and considering Ive over heated it many many many times and the motor always runs on the warm/hot side, but ill keep it going as see what happens and how long i get out of it, i give it a go over the next couple of days weather permitting.

finally a break in the weather so i was able to take the Merv out for a bash today and try the our new DVD camcorder, we could only go to the park due to the other bash spots being to muddy.

about 3.5 Min's into the video running 3s lipo i did a wheelie into a lime stone wall, busted 2 upper a-arms on the front and ripped the axle out of the drive shaft on the front right and the beed loc is no longer pretty lolls, i forgot you cant steer while doing wheelies.

100_5197.jpg

a quick trip home and 10 Min's later back in action, but i swapped the dirt hawgs and Titus bead loc rims for the stockers as i feel they handle better and have more grip with 3s lipo,s if your gentle on the throttle and they are glued on well, here is video the quality is better then my other camera so you should actually be able to see the mere now.

a drive shaft popped off the rear right as they are looking a bit average ill have to put my last set of new ones on soon, to wards the last part of the video i was trying to do jumps off a tree with not much luck when the camera was on, i did practice the jumps while my wife was not filming and pulled of some great ones, but as soon as she started to film me trying to do jumps of the tree i just couldn't nail one and in my keenness to pull off a good one i think i killed my rear diff, you can really hear it in the last bit of the vid, i have a spare rear diff, pinion set up in a rear bulk head with 50 000 wt silicone oil so ill have to pull it apart and see what i did to it and if it needs swapping out

as suspected my rear diff was shot, its got about 8 stripped teeth on the crown wheel you could hear in the last part of the last video i posted it was clicking really bad, but no biggie as i have a spare complete diff with 50 000 wt silicone oil already installed in a rear bulk head sitting in my spare parts box so i quick swap out and back in action.

this is the second diff ive done in over 89 battery packs, i also ordered another spare stock vxl motor as a spare since this one is a little ruff but i will not swap it out till i hit 100 battery packs with the original stock motor and esc or unless the motor fails before hand but it should be ok, i might order a diff gear set to rebuild this diff in the near future.

i also ordered another front body/bumper mount as i seam to break them. so i will be able to take it to a skate park and do some jumping, the local on in my small town is a bit average, but i spotted some good ones in other places so i might take my daughter for a drive for some site seeing and do a bit of Merv bashing.

i would like to add i don't think the diff would of failed if i wasn't trying to do tree jumps and if i had use throttle control instead of holding it flat during the jumps and landings, but they are a cheap expendable item.

49 battery packs out of the first diff 31 of them where nimh battery packs and 50 battery packs out of the second diff all lipo,s a mix of 2s and 3s with a mix of stock tires and the dirt hawgs on the heavier beed loc rims, i got 48 battery packs out of the center diff all lipo,s a mix of 2s and 3s with a mix of stock tires and the dirt hawgs on the heavier beed loc rims the center diff is rated for 2s lipo,s. i had to go through my thread to find that info out its a long thread

the bloody weather is doing my head in i have not been able to take my Merv out for a while now due to dam rain and all the good bash spots you need a boat to get to or a good 1:1 scale mudding 4wd to get it there, so even if you get a break in the weather the local park is about the only option and wet grass offers no traction.

i got some more spares for my Merv a front body mount set so i can do some jumping and a new motor, I'm up to 90 battery packs through the stock motor and esc once i hit 100 battery packs ill swap the motor.

100_5333.jpg

i thought about going to a lower kv motor for heat or even using a 1/10 scale slash motor but it would throw the cg of and make handleing worse

After work on Saturday i put some new rear drive shaft's in and thought ill take the Merv out for a spin, Ive been so busy with work and family its been sitting in the shed for so long, last time i took it out it kept spitting the old well worn rear left drive shaft and i never got around to replacing it so it just sat there till now any way we had a spin, my daughter had a drive i ran 2 x 2s zippies lipo's in parallel so i got a good run but when it came time to changing out the batteries for some 3s lipo,s one of the ESC wires come of the battery plug lolls

100_6019.jpg

100_6033.jpg

100_6039.jpg

a quick video (we forgot to take the DVD recorder)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks