What's Can the Problem be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Man 1951

I've been running my Rovan Baja 5b for over a year with ZERO problems, then out of the blues, it just stopped starting. So, I did the prescribed checklist aimed at isolating t But first, the engine (a Rovan 36cc) began overheating and cutting out. But to the elimination list: Was there fuel? Yes. Is there spark? Yes. Is it the carburetor? To be sure, I bought a new one; also bought a new clutch. ... Played with factory needle settings ... Tightened the engine bolts...
With all of the above, it won't start. And so, I'm left wondering why? Admittedly I don't have a compression gauge, so I don't know if the engine is shot. Would definitely appreciate any clues as to why an engine that gave me months of rc pleasure just stopped working.

Engines need 3 things to run. Fuel, spark, and compression. If one of those is missing , it wont start. My guess is that you don't have compression . Considering my 30.5 rovan lasted only 6 months.

Last edited:
Engines need 3 things to run. Ignition, spark, and compression. If one of those is missing , it wont start. My guess is that you don't have compression . Considering my 30.5 rovan lasted only 6 months.
Thank you for a quick response. I am watching for a good compression gauge recommendation, and then I'll purchase one. But here's a follow-up question: Do these Rovan engines have an an average shelf-life?

Thank you for a quick response. I am watching for a good compression gauge recommendation, and then I'll purchase one. But here's a follow-up question: Do these Rovan engines have an an average shelf-life?
No not really. Some people have good luck with them and get multiple years out of em, some they blow up really quick . Its merely a game of chance. Have you tried putting gas down the plug hole and seeing if it will pop off?

No not really. Some people have good luck with them and get multiple years out of em, some they blow up really quick . Its merely a game of chance. Have you tried putting gas down the plug hole and seeing if it will pop off?
No, I haven't. Will try that.

If it pops off then it probably isnt compression, and maybe it isnt pulling fuel through or something.
It pops off, so it's not compression, but I will purchase a compression gauge to be sure. But I'm already contemplating buying a new engine. Getting to understand why the current one is not starting, however, is important. (I'm also thinking that the 5th scale hobby can be damn expensive. Lol.)

compression is what gives a 2 stroke its ability to run with no valves. If you have blow by past the ring then the engine won't run or just be a female dog to deal with... think about it the engine depends on the ring to seal to be able to achieve each cycle....

Use a business card not a credit card and set it with the magnets under the coil and push evenly down on the coil while tightening it

compression is what gives a 2 stroke its ability to run with no valves. If you have blow by past the ring then the engine won't run or just be a female dog to deal with... think about it the engine depends on the ring to seal to be able to achieve each cycle....

Use a business card not a credit card and set it with the magnets under the coil and push evenly down on the coil while tightening it
Just did that, even though, I did it before. I just, also, installed a new spark plugs. Nothing. It just cranks over, forever. Thank you all. I'm done with this for the day.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks