Wheel bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rep732

The alchemist ☠️
Community Leader
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
Generally how long does the wheel bearings on all 4 corners last you guys? I have about 20 hours on the 5t so does anyone strip the bearings and givd them a cleaning and lube.My lack of attention to actually disassembling the hubs and cleaning the bearings made one fail. I was checking something and noticed excess play in one of the rear hubs so I took it apart and noticed that behind the bearing seals it was just packed with that clay dirt that blew up my red arrow ?‍♂️. So I would safely say all of my bearings are about equal so ill be making a trip to my local bearing store. O yea and called horizon their sending me 2 hubs worth of bearings as excessive play is a warranty (y)

Sean these were the rubber sealed kind. And fast eddy has inner and outers for 1.99 each which is great im hoping my local bearing store is just as fair on price as well. Looks like those cv boots are going to be my next buy

I got the original wheel bearings in my Baja from like 10 years ago, regreased them last year ,and just regreased them again for another season of abuse ?‍♂️ some of the inner rear bearings took A poop though after last season

See z thats why I asked because honestly I can't say I've ever replaced wheel bearings in an rc yet other than a rare clutch bearing grenading. And losi wants 10 bucks a pair for bearings :oops:.. and haven't used grease inside those bearings I've been using 3in1 oil because on my long board I've used sewing machine oil with good results and low drag on the bearings

See z thats why I asked because honestly I can't say I've ever replaced wheel bearings in an rc yet other than a rare clutch bearing grenading. And losi wants 10 bucks a pair for bearings :oops:.. and haven't used grease inside those bearings I've been using 3in1 oil because on my long board I've used sewing machine oil with good results and low drag on the bearings
I would use grease, 3&1 is too thin imo.

Well z see my opinion and understanding is Roller or tapered bearings can either be grease or oil depending on application.And I choose a light oil as these bearings don't really operate at a temperature that would require grease and its just creating unnecessary drag to me.As far as smaller ball bearings like these I cant see them being packed with grease

I'm sorry but the whole drag excuse Is such bs for a basher ?‍♂️?? I'll be willing to be that not a single person on this planet will be able to tell the difference between a greased and oiled bearing when driving their car ? especially one that weighs 26+ lbs ?

i just replace em cos there cheap (y),
only time i think i've re packed wheel bearings on rc is when i have a dry/rough one and don't have any new ones to hand,
ie; going for a bash and cant get fresh ones for a day or two,

I forget which way they are measured, meaning od x id x thickness but you can get them for around a buck each. I've never tried cleaning them because why bother they are cheap and time is not. I keep a set for each rig in the go box along with a bearing removal tool. I'm anal but like Z says for a basher really no need to replace until your rig starts pulling one way or another. If your anal like me and have grand plans to become a competitive racer then change them as soon as they start to feel rough. You've prob spent $$$ on worse things before ;)

I never bit into the whole ceramic bearing deal. Just don't seem worth it but if I do I will 100% clean them frequently.

I had ceramic wheel bearings in my savage xl, they would last about 2 bash sessions. Never went back to them for rc. Actually I think I still have a set here somewhere. Anyway, I've just stuck with regular bearings since.
The oil vs grease debate ?. Use whatever you feel is better. We could go into grease drop point, composition, blah blah blah. doesn't really matter in the long run. Another point, you'll only get the seals in and out so many times till they start loosing effectiveness.

i agree 100% wi sean about the ceramics,
used em before and they don't last long if ya bash hard,
i do have a set in the front GH hubs on the baja i'm building now, but they were brand new and already fitted so thought use em up,
don't think they will last long though :LOL:,

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks