Z's HPI Baja 5b/5t build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crap! Me WRONG! that is not a saw motor! that thing must rip, How long of a run do you get on a tank of gas? Where did you get the Malossi race frame from to mount that motor?

is that a green Integy transmission case? . I bought one and it would not fit worth the beans!!!!. Even the diff housing would not even go in. and Integy would not return my mail and I got taken.
Well, haven't gotten that far lol. Problems problems with my overcomplicated ignition system and trying to run e85, so I re did the ignition system for gasoline and I'll try again. And yeah that is a integy case, didn't fit right like yours. And that frame is just a Scorpion enclosed chasis, just has a malossi sticker on it from my crank which is a malossi

Well, haven't gotten that far lol. Problems problems with my overcomplicated ignition system and trying to run e85, so I re did the ignition system for gasoline and I'll try again. And yeah that is a integy case, didn't fit right like yours. And that frame is just a Scorpion enclosed chasis, just has a malossi sticker on it from my crank which is a malossi
Yea my girlfriend has a dual fuel ford Escape and for the first time filled it up with E85 and within two days the service engine light was on full time ! . The dealer says it needs over $700.00 worth of new sensors to get it back with light off in dash! The dual fuel tag on hatchback lies!!!!!.
how do you start it without a flywheel in that tiny timing box?

Last edited:
how do you start it without a flywheel in that tiny timing box?
There is a small little flywheel for ignition. There is a starter catch plate that threads into the crank and that screws to the flywheel after it's been threaded on the crank. I'll likely change that later on as it's kinda rough and I don't really like the CDI set up im running. I'll probably go with a Alx ignition system

Last edited:
There is a small little flywheel for ignition. There is a starter catch plate that threads into the crank and that screws to the flywheel after it's been threaded on the crank. I'll likely change that later on as it's kinda rough and I don't really like the CDI set up in running. I'll probably go with a Alx ignition system
It almost looks like you could run a RCMK PUM rotor and use your pickup to trigger the coil. The PUM rotor has a nice face area to work with and could bolt up a nice solid recoil setup to it and keep it off crank end. They got HD recoils for the PUMs for the guy's who do not want to start with a V belt setup

It almost looks like you could run a RCMK PUM rotor and use your pickup to trigger the coil. The PUM rotor has a nice face area to work with and could bolt up a nice solid recoil setup to it and keep it off crank end. They got HD recoils for the PUMs for the guy's who do not want to start with a V belt setup
Yes that's what alx uses. Except the pum flywheels stock will not fit the taper and diameter of my much larger crank so they modify them to work. And then to aid with starting they have a decompression valve on the head to release some compression for easier starting ?

I would stick with the RCMK stuff. SOLID and hardly ever fails. Why is your motor not have a decompression system? My 55cc chainsaw even has one and works wonders! Replaced it once in 5 years as it was seeping oil and only was about $15.00 from husky dealer, Just like changing a plug......EZ

I would stick with the RCMK stuff. SOLID and hardly ever fails. Why is your motor not have a decompression system? My 55cc chainsaw even has one and works wonders! Replaced it once in 5 years as it was seeping oil and only was about $15.00 from husky dealer, Just like changing a plug......EZ
Well, I never bought alx's head with a valve. Then I was being a cheap ass and never installed one , a member offered to do it for me which I am thinking about. I also forgot to install one the 3 times I went to the machine shop getting other stuff done. And the reason I didn't do rcmk/alx ignition was I was over thinking it (nothing new for me) even tho it's been proven to work and they literally designed my motor. Sooo yeah. I'm Gunna stay with the CDI setup for a little while but eventually swap it out.

No the CDI is for RC planes I believe. It's a rcexl auto advancing cdi. You set the timing by actually moving the Hal sensore and it auto advances from 5° before tdc, and then goes up to whatever you set it at (Ie 20° btdc)
Oh ok stall flight control speed....Nice you can get the motors to Idle super slow but still have some torque left to turn a large prop and hit it to jump right out with full advance, Neat systems for sure.

You need to go read his whole build to get the complete picture. Hes letting 3/4 of the story out of it lol.
And yeah compression release leak when they get old sometimes. The goop and what not is normally from starting them. It gets hard and causes them to hang open. Nice to see we have another husqy fan.

I would go to six star performance in Schaumburg or AMS in west Chicago and either can do what you need I am sure. I have a mill and can mill your fins flat in a spot drill and tap but you said was not gonna work.. I have also used apex performance in Hanover park and also NAPA machine shop in south Elgin for machine work.. P&L autosports probably also They are auto machine shops but its not a hard task..

I would go to six star performance in Schaumburg or AMS in west Chicago and either can do what you need I am sure. I have a mill and can mill your fins flat in a spot drill and tap but you said was not gonna work.. I have also used apex performance in Hanover park and also NAPA machine shop in south Elgin for machine work.. P&L autosports probably also They are auto machine shops but its not a hard task..
I have 2 offers from different people, and I can do that. I might have said it's not possible (if I did well I was wrong), but it really is just alot of work. Thanks for the recommendations. I will take those into account when I make my decision. It's Gunna be like 2 more weeks tho. You know, payday and such.

alright guys I've made a decision. I'm not finishing the 71cc for now. I'm gonna stash it away for this winter an summer, and save my money, an put it all towards a smaller, 32-34cc modified motor (obr,esp,scott finlay) but a lot more money in chassis upgrades, so next winter, when i resume this 71 project, the truck will be able to withstand that power. putting that motor in my truck right now, that much power would tear this thing apart lol. and i miss a baja 5b. so the plan is, put the 71 away for now. box it up. then save my winters $$, then put it into a small motor, and then put the rest of the $$ into the truck n drivetrain. run it till next winter like that and then, next winter, resume with this and be successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks