add another DX450 owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has arrived this afternoon! The UPS guy put it under an icy tree that is melting and thankfully my wife found it and brought it inside. She took it out of the box and said the inside was dry. Thank goodness.

I can't wait to get home and see it!

my lightened gyro is on it's way. I ordered all the parts from Bruce to finish my TTR FM1E though. should be a rocket with a 6900kv and mechanical brakes all around

my lightened gyro is on it's way. I ordered all the parts from Bruce to finish my TTR FM1E though. should be a rocket with a 6900kv and mechanical brakes all around

Very cool! You bought the modified rc gyro right?

That dx450 is really sweet. I bought the green one. It'll be a couple weeks before I'll be able to drive it. I want to get a few more parts for it. I have the front shocks coming from formbymodels since I don't trust Tower to have them by the end of March even though I have backordered them.

I looked on formby and they too have the one way bearing back ordered. seems every shop I checked they are...

ya modified rc gyro. I won't be running all the extra weight anymore and no more loose dirt.

got the forks tweeked a bit today. seems much better (stretched the springs a bit). but i think i m going to try to fit a stiffer short spring in the bottoms. this will preload the stock springs a bit more, and give a real firm dual rate effect on hard landings to help prevent bottoming out, plus it ll make the front push up fully.

i ll get some pics a bit later on.

got the forks tweeked a bit today. seems much better (stretched the springs a bit). but i think i m going to try to fit a stiffer short spring in the bottoms. this will preload the stock springs a bit more, and give a real firm dual rate effect on hard landings to help prevent bottoming out, plus it ll make the front push up fully.

i ll get some pics a bit later on.

You aren't talking about the oil filled ones are you?

I looked on formby and they too have the one way bearing back ordered. seems every shop I checked they are...

ya modified rc gyro. I won't be running all the extra weight anymore and no more loose dirt.

I saw that too before I ordered my other part. I thought it might be nice to order one or two, but nope, they were out too.

Now I have to order some lipos from hobbyking. ChaChing!

You aren't talking about the oil filled ones are you?

yes the upgraded ones. i found a set from a mobile LHS at MotoRama over the weekend. got real lucky as he only had one set and he just happened to bring them along.

as promised a few pics. stretched the stock fork springs, but its still a bit saggy, so im going to try to use a 2nd stiffer spring to give it a dual rate effect as well as keep the forks fully extended.

DSCN6211.jpg
DSCN6212.jpg

ok, im going to limit this info to here on LSF only for the time being. need to do some more testing, but i though i would give you all here some info on the mod i have been doing.

Goal is to eliminate battery box, and increase power a small bit with extended runtimes.
Im modding a 3S LiFe pack to fit the bike while maintaining balance, function, and increaseing performance and ground clearance.

one thing i really didnt care for with the DX450, is the way the battery box limited down travel and would toss you about if you landed a good jump. so i got to looking at it and the setup, and determined i could fit a 3S LiFe pack in it. I got ahold of Kent at Killer RC and he was kind enough to supply me cell measurements so i could decide if they would fit or not. according to the size of the cells, and the room available for them, it looked like it would work, but would be SNUG! So i ordered 3 cells and Kent shipped them out right away with everything i would need to make a pack. 3 cells, ample shrink wrap and a balance tap for my charger.

So i pulled the stock esc and mounting plate. and generally escavated the inner area. played with setup and layout a bit, and decided the only way it will work is to make the pack into an "L" shape, then use the hollow area for the Mtroniks Genesys Pro ESC i have here to use. its a great ESC, but a bit big. If anyone decides to try this mod, should i yield good results, i would suggest you use a CC Mamba Max or MM Pro. their should be room for one to fit and not be as snug as the Genesys Pro is. For our UK/Euro guys, Mtroniks makes a nice ESC for bikes that would fit perfectly and is water proof to boot. is one of the reasons i wanted to use the Genesys esc because the MTroniks ESCs are waterproof.

while test fitting the cells, i found i would need to move 2 of the cross members in the front of the motor mount area, back so they were just above the front edge of the motor. this was needed to allow the cells, as well as the esc to fit deep in the frame cavity, right up to the motor. i also removed the bottom cross braces that would of been in the battey box. i made new mounting holes, and used some axial 55mm cross braces and a 2mm small brass bushing i had to mount 2 new cross braces to open up the "Motor" cavity. after a couple nights of fitting and adjusting, i got it all to fit.
the finale setup of the 3S LiFe and the ESC is in the pic above. as you can see, their is no battery box, so i have full travel full to bottom and no box to interfere.

I have to run it yet. i tried to get a run with the stock controller, but it was just not adjustable enough on the throtle. the throtle was almost instant. last night and this am, i installed one of my Nomadio Rxs and went thru and reprogrammed everything.

power is much more controllable now. its kind of crappy out today, but im hopeing to get a few test runs over the weekend on it. I go back to work monday, so time will be limited to after work in the hotel room.

in most the pics. you ll see the esc i was test fitting is the EZRun 35A esc. it doesn't have the power needed. but the 60A esc may be a better option and may work pretty good. its the same size as the 35a in the pics, just does more power. nice option is they are 60ish bux, and also waterproofed from the factory. they also have an on/off switch, one thing the Mtroniks are missing imho.

testing the fit
DSCN6150.jpg

Profile shot
DSCN6149.jpg

close up
DSCN6147.jpg
DSCN6145.jpg
Finale setup is just slightly different than this one.

DSCN6144.jpg
Feigao 4643KV motor with a 15t pinion

you can see the new cross members here. i moved the top one back another 5mm from this pic
DSCN6142.jpg
DSCN6135.jpg
DSCN6136.jpg

DSCN6212.jpg

more after i find out if it works well or not. lol

T

Last edited:
I like it Tim. Great stuff. I've got a Mamba Monster speed control and I'm wondering if that will fit in the motorcycle. Those CC's have great adjustment options.

I'll run it a bit stock at first and then maybe try out another controller. Do you have a 5900kv in there?

Great idea on the batteries. I've noticed lifepo's are coming down in price (at least at hobbyking).

no running a Feigao 4643KV right now. had the stock 3800KV in. should be able to get a bit more power, and a bit longer runtimes with the 4643 unless im WOT all the time. lol

thats pretty good. their prices are a smidge more than here stateside, as is shipping, but overall, 1 wk is good coming from the UK.

ya the HR items don't look too bad and are abit less expensive.
got a change to actually run a pack thru over the week. ran preety well. still working on dialing the steering in. will have to reset the ESC to fast start up. Got it on Med now and its decent but not as good as it could be. ran pretty well. balacne wasnt TOO different, but took a few to get the hang of the new steering setup.

will try to get another pack or two thru over the weekend.

I deanodized my gold parts tonight. Going to shine them up a bit and hopefully install them this weekend.

Sometimes rain comes in handy so I can just plop my ass in front of my rc's and do a little work.

I'll probably end up with the hot racing stuff. 2wheelhobbies said they were going to get HR stuff in but couldn't provide a price. I hate their shipping cost anyway. I was going to buy an 8 dollar part, and the charge on shipping was over 9 bucks.

He just posted them instock ready to ship on 2wheel. good prices too. is a bit high on shipping.
doesn't Tower have the HR stuff yet?
thought about de anoing them, but i like the color.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks