HPI Baja 5b to 5t conversion build begins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So the problem. Adjusting the idle screw does nothing at the moment. I'm in the trouble shooting phase now. I noticed when putting on the brakes it does close the throttle more . So I need to figure out why. Maybe the servo/TX setup ?

Also noticed that the expansion chamber was not going onto the head pipe. So I took the heatsink out from between the head and the header. That solved that problem . I don't think it's causing my high idle issue though.

Last edited:
hey coop just went through your build thread again.......... you faced some real challenges with this build:unsure:
all the tr gear you put in is so sweet you wont regret it (y)
come now i wanna see a run or feed back at least (y)

Ya there were a few times where I wondered if I was going to have to put the Rovan parts back on the buggy. The issues were that TR uses HPI's tolerances when designing parts and Rovans tolerances are just all over the place. I have a feeling if I were to use Rovan knockoff parts of the TR pieces everything would have gone together easier . I still need to order parts to build another diff for the buggy and they will all be HPI parts for that . The Rovan internal parts for the diff won't fit inside the HPI diff housing.
Here you go Milo. As an FYI I have Aftermarket Throttle/Brake linkage.

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_135107.jpg
    IMG_20190412_135107.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190412_135120.jpg
    IMG_20190412_135120.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 12
noticed when putting on the brakes it does close the throttle more
coop you need to set the end points and travel on your servo. do it with the shell off watch the hammer(y) and adjust with the TX until you throttle is closed no futher(y) also set it so its a ball hair from full open. after that adjust your linkage for the bakes
I took the heatsink out from between the head and the header
nah that wont make much difference(y) yu talking about the x port?
high idle issue
check to make sure you don't have an air leak on the carb manifold ......its tightened down proper(y)

The Idle issue is solved. I blew it up.

Just kidding. So first issue was the screw that attaches the linkage to the servo was to long. Shortened it up its good. Went to do the third heat cycle still idling out of control. Turns out the linkage was being stopped by the Bartolone Velocity stack one of the screw mounts sticks out just far enough for it to catch. A little dremeling and all good . This engine has some serious compression.

The Idle issue is solved. I blew it up.

Just kidding. So first issue was the screw that attaches the linkage to the servo was to long. Shortened it up its good. Went to do the third heat cycle still idling out of control. Turns out the linkage was being stopped by the Bartolone Velocity stack one of the screw mounts sticks out just far enough for it to catch. A little dremeling and all good . This engine has some serious compression.
Sounds really good ??

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks