Boy did I pick the WRONG time to seek nitro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is so much Savage junk on Screw-bay for just stupid money currently so i'm apprehensive about buying from lying ebay sellers. For every one used good nitro engine in usable condition, there is 20 engines that are junk but seller claims "needs a good tune" which in reality means "I blew it up from not knowing how to tune". There is some nice deals however on used part kits.

I actually have contacted my nephew whom I sold my highly modded Savage back in 2008 and he still has it, seems to be in good shape, and doesn't use it anymore, so I might be buying back my long lost love Savage... we will see.

I hear @crucialRC has some killer buggies/truggies???
he does, very well taken care of high end stuff, and he's a great guy to deal with.
Keep talking about them and I'll have to dig mine back out. It's cold out. And it has a water proof esc in it.
Be carefull what you wish for... If my nephew comes through there's gonna be a S25 retro rebuild . My old Savage has an insane Collari .30 , 3 spd , custom Titanium diffcups made by me , it was pretty bad azz back in the day.

Last edited:
I agree crucial I've seen people use aluminum foil and heat guns to help warm up the engines...but boy those little buggers run great in colder drier air
What can happen is that the incoming extreme cold air can cause a thermal shock to the intake side of the piston skirt causing a "cold seizure". You want to try an maintain your typical warm weather operating temps consistiently. I used aluminum foil on the cylinder, block off open body airflow ducts, and you should be fine. I used to try and target about 275 degrees as a conservative number. You can push temps up to 300+F but you better be dam sure you know how to tune or your flirting with a potential piston meltdown.

My traxxas jato 3.3 isn't happy and doesn't come to life until the 300 mark. Im not sure if its a traxxas thing but I get Temps up to about 310 in this thing. Its a new engine and ive ran it probably 5 times by now and its got no issues.

My traxxas jato 3.3 isn't happy and doesn't come to life until the 300 mark. Im not sure if its a traxxas thing but I get Temps up to about 310 in this thing. Its a new engine and ive ran it probably 5 times by now and its got no issues.
There's some variables to each person's temp observations, and every engine is different. The type of tool being used , exactly where you are taking the temps and so on. Even though you read 300 it may not be overly hot. Just with my gauge 300 was showing some signs of slightly erratic engine running. 275F seemed to be the "sweet spot". I remember one really hot day I was bashing in soft dirt and sand and I started hearing my engine surging pretty badly and I took an engine temp and it was like 370F and I freaked out , long story short no damage. My nitro tuning philosophy has always been to err on the side of cautious. I kept my temps under 300, always looked for a slight bluish smoke trail on hard acceleration, and listened closely to the sound of the rpm's and made sure I didn't hear the engine peak rpm tone sound "crackly" or abruptly rpm increase, then rpm's quickly fall off. This is tell tale signs your too lean. Takes an experienced ear to identify a top nitro tune, which I make no claims to be expert.

Last edited:
Damn thats hot... I use the traxxas link on the phone and its the typical loop type sensor on the last fin on the cooling head and away from the exhaust port

So if you buy the traxxas TQi radio system with the Bluetooth module it will tell you engine temp,engine speed and mph. Not sure if you can use the traxxas flywheel but it uses a magnet on the flywheel and a hall effect sensor that gets bolted to the side of the engine

There is literally NOTHING out there for nitro support. If you have a .21 buggy you have some options, anything else just forget about it. What in the hell happened to the once proud nitro MT class ? Ofna Racing ? XTM racing ? Team Orion ? Collari ? Sportwerks ? There was SO much available out there 15 years ago it was such a fun time to be involved in nitro. I friggin get it, everything is now brushless and I say SCREW THAT life-less lack of realism crap...... sorry DC volt guys but I call it like I feel it... Dam shame it is...

I'm with this guy!
Nitro was what really got me into the hobby.
Now it's a joke.

I'm just glad i found the 1/5th scale left overs, and I'm rocking a rovan. :ROFLMAO:

Also am i crazy, or maybe just old?
Electric = a toy :sneaky:
Gas/Nitro = a model :geek:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks