Boy did I pick the WRONG time to seek nitro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I literally visited 3 local hobby shops yesterday and I found ZERO nitro kits, I saw one shop that had a few Traxxis 3.3 engines for sale. Want something brushless ? Take your pick from literally a hundred kits in stock. I had an interesting conversation with the store owner and he commented the industry has basically blown off nitro completely in favor of brushless. Sure all the big hobby corps have huge nitro ads plastered all over their web pages but the fact is they are NOT producing anything nitro. All the millennial kids just want to plug in and play and go fast. These kids had ZERO desire to get their fingernails greasy and learn nitro. Im SO disappointed in this culture shift. Back in the early 2000's you could find about 16 different big block engine sizes and brands. All the players back in the early 2000's

O.S
Ofna Hyper
Ofna Force
XTM Pro
Picco
Collari
Wasp Pro
SH
Axial
RB Concepts
Sportwerks
LRP
Novarossi

Granted within the above engines there was a lot of "rebranding" going on in the engine industry. Whoever the main engine mfg over in Hong Kong was there would be 3 different brands of the exact same engine , just different color paint and id badge basically.

Took some real archive digging but I found a really old thread I did over at RCU and I did did a comprehensive test comparison on 10 different engines back in 2005. Reading back through the thread, dam there was some snot nosed punks pi$$ing all over my thread and all's I was trying to do was help.

10 engine comparason, side by side - RCU Forums (rcuniverse.com)

I literally visited 3 local hobby shops yesterday and I found ZERO nitro kits, I saw one shop that had a few Traxxis 3.3 engines for sale. Want something brushless ? Take your pick from literally a hundred kits in stock. I had an interesting conversation with the store owner and he commented the industry has basically blown off nitro completely in favor of brushless. Sure all the big hobby corps have huge nitro ads plastered all over their web pages but the fact is they are NOT producing anything nitro. All the millennial kids just want to plug in and play and go fast. These kids had ZERO desire to get their fingernails greasy and learn nitro. Im SO disappointed in this culture shift. Back in the early 2000's you could find about 16 different big block engine sizes and brands. All the players back in the early 2000's

O.S
Ofna Hyper
Ofna Force
XTM Pro
Picco
Collari
Wasp Pro
SH
Axial
RB Concepts
Sportwerks
LRP
Novarossi

Granted within the above engines there was a lot of "rebranding" going on in the engine industry. Whoever the main engine mfg over in Hong Kong was there would be 3 different brands of the exact same engine , just different color paint and id badge basically.

Took some real archive digging but I found a really old thread I did over at RCU and I did did a comprehensive test comparison on 10 different engines back in 2005. Reading back through the thread, dam there was some snot nosed punks pi$$ing all over my thread and all's I was trying to do was help.

RCU was my favorite forum back in the day I use to live on that forum.
I think they ruined it by adding to many sub forums

O.S
Ofna Hyper
Ofna Force
XTM Pro
Picco
Collari
Wasp Pro
SH
Axial
RB Concepts
Sportwerks
LRP
Novarossi

Millenniala, at their youngest, are 25. Some of us are approaching 40 at an alarming rate. I get tired of being infantilized.

I've also been running nitro motors in aircraft, boats , and cars, starting with a thunder tiger. 46 as a 19 year old. I. Very familiar with nitro, was a fair hand at tuning once upon a time, even learned to set up 4 strokes correctly.

I did not when I started, and still do not today, like the things in cars. They are obnoxious, fuel guzzling, poorly cooled, high revving monstrosities, that cause no end of headaches. The cheaper ones.... just no. I spent some time working in and around a hobby shop as well, that sealed the deal for me in cars... I will not own another nitro vehicle, no will I do more than give a brief explanation of tuning to people.

From the LHS view point, they're also a giant pain to support. People take them out, break them in improperly, burn the motor up in a half gallon, then come back in DEMANDING the LHS fix it or take it back. Or they go buy fuel some dude makes in his garage cause it's cheap, and get man when the motor won't run on it.

I look at nitro as a form of anachronistic masochism. But, just like my elizabethan court gown ( or my 16th century armor), if their use brings you happiness, by all means, have fun.....just don't crqp all over people because they don't 3njoy the same form of torture as you.

Millenniala, at their youngest, are 25. Some of us are approaching 40 at an alarming rate. I get tired of being infantilized.

I've also been running nitro motors in aircraft, boats , and cars, starting with a thunder tiger. 46 as a 19 year old. I. Very familiar with nitro, was a fair hand at tuning once upon a time, even learned to set up 4 strokes correctly.

I did not when I started, and still do not today, like the things in cars. They are obnoxious, fuel guzzling, poorly cooled, high revving monstrosities, that cause no end of headaches. The cheaper ones.... just no. I spent some time working in and around a hobby shop as well, that sealed the deal for me in cars... I will not own another nitro vehicle, no will I do more than give a brief explanation of tuning to people.

From the LHS view point, they're also a giant pain to support. People take them out, break them in improperly, burn the motor up in a half gallon, then come back in DEMANDING the LHS fix it or take it back. Or they go buy fuel some dude makes in his garage cause it's cheap, and get man when the motor won't run on it.

I look at nitro as a form of anachronistic masochism. But, just like my elizabethan court gown ( or my 16th century armor), if their use brings you happiness, by all means, have fun.....just don't crqp all over people because they don't 3njoy the same form of torture as you.
And I respect your opinions, sorry for your pure car/truck nitro hate. We can agree to disagree.
RCU was my favorite forum back in the day I use to live on that forum.
I think they ruined it by adding to many sub forums
It was a tough obnoxious crowd back then, not sure of the atmosphere now. Just like I behave here I just try to be polite and educate when I read someone just spouting off incorrect BS , but when your trying to "inform" a pissy 14 y/o kid you know how that will end up...

Last edited:
Being in the millenial crowd I too cant stand the stigma that comes with it. Till I bought my own place I only ever had nitro. I found most of them to be a pain as well, or at least the ones with crap engines to begin with. Hence I transitioned to 1/5 scale and went brushless conversion for my savage. I'd happily get back into nitro but am at a loss of what engine ti get back into, for the same reasons polar has mentioned. OS nova and the like don't make big block engines and the 2 k5.9 engines I have here are unreliable at best. Thanks to @crucialRC I know where to get fuel at a decent price. None of this I feel directly has any bearing on my age range, nor do I enjoy being lumped in with a group of largely lazy bums that want hand outs and an easy life, that was promised by the generations before. This issues stems form the pissing and moaning of their (our) parents and grandparents. The generation after mine is even worse, and can actually be blamed for the demise of the rc hobby in general. Lazy people beget lazy hobbies or no hobbies.

I second that all I run is Novarossi and O.S
Best motor I ever owned was an OS cv series in an hpi Rs4-mt thing. I actually really like that size/style of MT. Had a Nova Rossi for a loaded out tmaxx build, but it got traded.

I would like to have another T/E Maxx platform, the new MAXX series is garbage.

You know what guys, I need to apologize and "rephrase" The term "Millennial" after researching the age definition is not a fair comparison. I thought Millennials started in the 80's should have done a bit of research. So lets move up a gen and call the "GenZ guys the brushless fanboys and "nitro dissers"
:LOL:

Well after trying to educate myself and get back up to speed within the nitro RC community i've come to realize that nitro is paralyzed. There is just simply NO involvement from either side. This is just so dam sad. I also came to realize that RCU is currently just as bad with adolescents bashing the crap out of each other as it was 15 years ago and a waste of my time as far as gaining knowledge. Some things just will never change. I wanted to first time treat myself to trying a .28 'Rossi engine, and of course NOTHING is available, and NO plans for production (at least in the states). So sorry guys looks like you are stuck with me and my rant's and questions ! I respect the civil arguments and behavior here . Good job keeping it light hearted and informative.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks