Cheaper servos?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japhia42

I have been reading a lot of the forums where guys are running cheaper steering servos. Why? Also wondering if the Hitec 5805 will be a direct fit and if not, what adapter would I need? Thanks

I have been reading a lot of the forums where guys are running cheaper steering servos. Why? Also wondering if the Hitec 5805 will be a direct fit and if not, what adapter would I need? Thanks
What car do you have? And what exactly do you mean with " I have been reading a lot of the forums where guys are running cheaper steering servos. Why?" ? Also welcome to the forum!!!

What car do you have? And what exactly do you mean with " I have been reading a lot of the forums where guys are running cheaper steering servos. Why?" ? Also welcome to the forum!!!
I Have the Baja 5B, sorry. Should have been more specific. The old Hpi sf10 on it is pretty much worn out. Looking to upgrade and I've seen guys using Rovans and King Motors servos that are admittedly, cheaper. I like the 5805 but I need to know if I'll need an adapter for it. Thank you for the welcome! Also have a Redcat Rampave XT that I'm currently rebuilding.

I Have the Baja 5B, sorry. Should have been more specific. The old Hpi sf10 on is pretty much worn out. Looking to upgrade and I've seen guys using Rovans and King Motors servos that are admittedly, cheaper. I like the 5805 but I need to know if I'll need an adapter for it. Thank you for the welcome! Also have a Redcat Rampave XT that I'm currently rebuilding.
Ok, so rovan servos, yeah they suck. I'm not entirely sure if that servo will fit. Compared the external diamentions and your servo looks bigger, correct me if I'm wrong

Hello and welcome Japhia.

I've been running a 5805 in my Baja 5t for a long time now. It's been a real workhorse. I'm using the DDM aluminum servo horn for it. If you buy the servo from DDM, you get the horn included for free: http://www.davesmotors.com/hitec-hs-5805mg-35805S-digital-steering-servo.html

There are stronger servos out there, especially if you are running a lipo rx battery, but I haven't had any issues with the 5805. If you aren't running a super technical track with the servo saver fully cranked, you probably won't see a difference in holding torque on a 2WD car compared to the more expensive servos.

The 5805 doesn't need any special adapter, it's the same dimensions as the stock steering servo.

I'm liking it more too. I have the 5645 for my throttle, got the Yamadude throttle upgrade because I don;t find the full kill throttle set anywhere. That's about all I need for it. I run a Flysky GT5 radio and it seems to work well...so far. And thank you for the welcome!
Ok, so rovan servos, yeah they suck. I'm not entirely sure if that servo will fit. Compared the external diamentions and your servo looks bigger, correct me if I'm wrong
Lol. yea I thought so.

Yep, I'm running the 5645 for throttle and brakes as well. If you run the RCR brakes, that servo has enough torque to fully lock that car up like no one's business. RCR brakes are highly recommended if you're not getting the stopping power out of your current kit. They're made of some kind of dark magic!

Yamadude is the OG linkage upgrade, so you can't go wrong with that. I've never had any problem with the stock linkage binding, so I still haven't upgraded. Maybe will one day when I don't have any other bits to throw my wallet at... ?

Yep, I'm running the 5645 for throttle and brakes as well. If you run the RCR brakes, that servo has enough torque to fully lock that car up like no one's business. RCR brakes are highly recommended if you're not getting the stopping power out of your current kit. They're made of some kind of dark magic!

Yamadude is the OG linkage upgrade, so you can't go wrong with that. I've never had any problem with the stock linkage binding, so I still haven't upgraded. Maybe will one day when I don't have any other bits to throw my wallet at... ?
I'll more than likely go with the RCR brakes. I bought it off a guy a couple weeks ago, who, "Gave it to a buddy to upgrade." What I got was a fully upgraded aluminum hop-up Baja 5B. Still has the original electronics, an ancient DX3S transmitter and an engine he swears only has had a quart of fuel, 50:1 no less run through it. Have already had to replace the pullstart, but I did get it started. The throttle servo locked up around 1/4 throttle, so it needs some work.

he swears only has had a quart of fuel, 50:1 no less run through it.

Zoiks! That's a bit leaner than these engines require at such high RPMs. You can swing 50:1 for a bit, but it's gonna prematurely wear the motor due to lack of lubrication. Recommendation is something closer to 24-30:1 for maximum engine life and performance.

When you get a chance, post up some pics! I'm sure we'd all love to see your new toy! Best of luck with getting everything dialed in. This is a great place to come for help, or just hang out and watch the insanity!

I hope these work. Had to take them from my phone. She needs a little work, not too much though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 19
I hope these work. Had to take them from my phone. She needs a little work, not too much though.
looks great, personally id loose that air fiter (wont do well in dirt and will likely let dirt into the engine and cuase damage) and aluminum arms (heavy and if you hit something they bend, rpm arms are the best cuz the are strong but when you hit something they absorb impact and flex back into shape).

Thank you. I agree with the aluminum heavy aspect. My Rampage has aluminum uppers only. Slowly, but surely right? What size Zenoah will fit in this? I'm already thinking of the 29cc?
looks great, personally id loose that air fiter (wont do well in dirt and will likely let dirt into the engine and cuase damage) and aluminum arms (heavy and if you hit something they bend, rpm arms are the best cuz the are strong but when you hit something they absorb impact and flex back into shape).
What air filter would you recommend?

Thank you. I agree with the aluminum heavy aspect. My Rampage has aluminum uppers only. Slowly, but surely right? What size Zenoah will fit in this? I'm already thinking of the 29cc?

What air filter would you recommend?
Ddm sells great filters, I'd get This with an outerwear http://www.davesmotors.com/TGN-Easy-Clearance-Air-Filter-for-HPI-Baja-5b-5T-3293.html
? Technically you can fit almost anything into a Baja, just take a look I got a 71cc in mine ? but seriously, yeah 29 will work fine, but personally I'd get the g320 for that extra l
Torque, and there isn't really a big price difference, also, I wouldn't get a complete engine, get a long block and just add your existing carb, pipe, flywheel, clutch, coil, air shrouds, ect onto the new motor, you'll save a good chunk of cash vs buying a complete one. Oh and if you buy a g320 youll Have to get a g320 specific clutch housing, they aren't expensive At all tho ?

@japhia42 The stock HPI filter is the absolute best you can get: http://www.davesmotors.com/hpi-15411-air-filter-set-for-hpi-baja-5b_5t_5sc.html

You can get an outerwares to run over the stock pre filter, or use a dual stage prefilter to give it additional protection. I've run the outerwares, but I prefer this one: http://www.davesmotors.com/TGN-Redneck-Dual-Stage-Pre-Filter-for-HPI-Baja-5B-5T-3225.html

For motors, I would recommend getting the Zenoah G320rc. It's a completely upgraded motor compared to the 29cc: http://www.davesmotors.com/Zenoah-G320RC-Engine-Complete.html

There are tons of motor options out there. If you want to get something even crazier, the sky is the limit with the Baja. Just check out Z's 71cc Frankenstein build!

@Z.hb71 I wouldn't recommend getting a long block unless they are very familiar with their motor. You need more than just the clutch housing. It's hard to tell what kind of carb is on that motor, for a start, if it's the stock 668, would need to upgrade to 1107 or 990. It would also need an isolator, gasket and shroud. Clutch could also be shot on the current motor.

@Z.hb71 I wouldn't recommend getting a long block unless they are very familiar with their motor. You need more than just the clutch housing. It's hard to tell what kind of carb is on that motor, for a start, if it's the stock 668, would need to upgrade to 1107 or 990. It would also need an isolator, gasket and shroud. Clutch could also be shot on the current motor.
True, true. Forgot about that!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks