CK Vekta Saga

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the saga continues....had a great time bashing in the front yard today and getting the engine tuned up.

Took out the sewer clean out cap in the process and burnt up my electronics!!!!

Must have been a short or something, but so glad I got the LiPo out of the battery box before it got too bad!!

So after you all get a good laugh out of that...lol...I know I did....

I have a few questions...

The battery takes up a lot of room in the quite small battery box on the Vekta. I was thinking of putting a smaller battery in the box to leave some room so that things are not so packed in there. Not sure what caused a short or whatever happened, but I want to prevent it from occurring again. I do believe the jolt from hitting the sewer pipe may have contributed to this incident.

Currently running with the DDM 7.4V 7000mAh receiver battery. Other than less run time, could I use a smaller battery, like say a 4000mAh instead? Or could I use a 6V 5000mAh NiMH battery for example? Not sure if I need the higher voltage LiPo since I am running high torque servos and have the dual steering servo setup.

Just trying to figure all my options before rebuilding the electronic compartment back up.

Crucial and I were texting earlier about this and he pointed out that I need some battery foam to keep the battery from moving around in the box, so I will also be adding that to the build.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what may have happened here are much appreciated.

Here are a few pictures of the damage...

Attachments

• 20200415_170120.jpg
    20200415_170120.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200415_170427.jpg
    20200415_170427.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200415_172719.jpg
    20200415_172719.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200415_194528.jpg
    20200415_194528.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200415_194910.jpg
    20200415_194910.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Idk, I have minimal foam in my dbxl battery box, and its packed in there wiring and all I've taken quite a few tumbles with it and not had any shorting issues, could be the bit of foam I have has helped more then I thought ?‍♂️

I had a similar accident a while back... I took out the electrical system in my 5iveT when I reassembled everything I crossed my wires and when I connected the lipo the poop just caught fire....
super scary scene, I was just happy I didn’t have the cage on and was able to yank out the lipo instantly....

I burnt a hitec servo and destroyed the same wire as you, expensive lesson!

Something says have someone else go over your wiring. I'm not trying to be mean but if this is a multi event thing something your doing is wrong. Are you using the correct gauge?. Looking at some wiring seems they may be overheating contributing to the issue. Possibly try not to bundle wiring all together in 1 bunch,give a little separation,if possible. You can also use a "Shorty Lipo". It's smaller giving you a little more space in the box.
Good luck .?

There was obviously a short. Resistance went up and wire temp went thru the roof and melted the wire/insulation. He doesn't run a E-word car so all his wiring should be the smaller gauge wire anyway. If he uses a shorty lipo then it would be too wide to fit in the rec box. Only chance of a smaller pack would be a smaller mah battery. My rec box is jammed up like this too but I use foam to stop things from moving around and protecting the electronics. Whatever route you chose @RDCvekta5 make sure you use some kind of restraints to stop things from moving around.

So wait, this is round 2 for burned up wires?

No, this was a first for me actually. Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually stumbled across something interesting while ordering replacement stuff on DDM....

I came across a wiring harness from a company called DarkSoul. It is a direct power harness for dual steering setups specifically. I am now strongly beginning to believe that this was the issue. I was doing some pretty heavy back and forth steering in that last few minutes and the 2 Hitec servos can draw some pretty high current and as they were installed, they draw their signal and power through the receiver which is rated for I believe 8 amps max. The steering servo connection from the y split was basically welded to the battery connector next to it in the receiver!

This harness claims to solve this issue, by connecting power directly to the battery and only signal runs through the actual connections to the receiver...see pic below from DDM PRODUCT PAGE...

Dual_Steering_Mount_Instructions_Page_11.jpg

I went ahead an ordered it. Also ordered foam for around the battery, plan on moving the Kill Switch buzzer outside the box as Crucial suggested and we will see. Not sure, but I may need to order new Hitec servos as well...they sound strange when moving the tires by hand.

Maybe using the y splitter was the issue then...you said you have one steering servo plugged into steering channel and the other steering servo plugged into the aux channel. I was running both servos to the y splitter into the single steering channel in the receiver.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks