dbxl buggy shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bit the bullet and ordered the parts for a set of 5 shocks, I got all the good parts and I'll setup the new shocks for the #! 5ive, and hand down the shocks off that to the DBXL, couple of adds, the Axis bottom caps, and the rod ends and spring perches. I have that setup on#1 and they are sweet, Nitrate shafts on this set, Probley don't meke much difference but we'll see. Burned through some pullstarters today, they tried the Killer roto start it worked and broke the shaft, I have a turtle to put on it but it needed some parts that came today, I just wanted to test out the pipe and new filter combo, I should have just went right to the turtle pull starter from the get go, I needed a spring and it came later today... It's needs to be all pulled apart anyway my templates are on there for the extended protectors, I wanted to give them one more bash to be sure I liked the profile and had the maxx protection. That didn't happen, I hate pull starters.

I got the turtle pull start. really like it, pulls great. Just very expensive for a pull starter lol.

I just got a set of GTB shocks today. They look really long but we'll see how they fit. I'm happy with the stockers but everyone is saying how good the 5t style shocks are. $150 for the four. $200 shipped to my door with exchange. I ordered on Wednesday, got them this morning. Not bad for coming from japan. Oh, and I've got dgi steering tie rods coming cuz I snapped a rod end on Sunday :( check "losi dbxl at Mcgregorville 2" on YouTube to see footage from the drivers seat for a few full laps instead of just a muddy section of the track lol

Just remember when mounting 5ive shocks you will need custom upper hardware, #6 cap screws, rubber hose for bushing (5ive shocks don't use a ball on the upper, only a rubber bushing) and a poly spacer. You will need to drill out the upper shock tower as well to accept the #6 bolt.

I guess I'm pretty committed to using them then huh? Good thing I have another set of shock towers if I decide to go back. I ordered them last Wednesday but over the weekend, the stock shocks really impressed me. All of the balls and the arms loosened up and the rebound is awesome!

Last edited:
Just watched your second video marky. would be such a sweet view if you could squeeze a little more HD out of the video lol

I know!! I'm so pissed cuz I don't know why it won't load to youtube in high resolution. The camera is shaking around a bit but it's clearer on my phone. I'll try from the iPad on the next one. From the driver's stand will be better too.

Couple of updates, put a Savox 235 in for steering, sweet, put in the Spectrum AVC rx, not because I needed it but my company is interviewing for a big job that I'm assigned to for Invensense, that is the company that makes the chips that control a bunch of things that use hand gestures like smart phones, TVs and guess what, the AVC. I did the research on the company and they have many different types of chips, from 1 axis to 10 axise the AVC uses 4 and sure enough I could see the same chip as the one on the company Web site, so I try it out and the DBXL with the 30.5 Reed case is a handful, well I was able to make wot laps around my track and keep the truck under control , the thing is so fast that I'm on the brake and having to feather the throttle make clean laps, it was sick how I could nail it and keep it there through the turns , I'm sure the servo helped too but the truck didn't spin out into a doughnut like it would, it's very cool technology and helpful when you over power a rig like this, I did break the pin in a dog bone, but they are replaceable, I did not know that, but when fixing it I see the rear carrier is cracked so alloy carriers are coming, so I got 2 tanks through it before it started pouring out, if that rx gives me a couple of talking points in an interview for a 2 floor 5M job in Boston it's worth the 99 bucks, but its still fun to run it, still can't believe how much it works. Keep an eye on your rear carriers if your bashing hard and jumping, Josh I added to the profile of the protector again, there was some more space to take advantage of with the extenders so I wanted to get it all hang in there man I have all the hardware,

Lol we got that job, starts at the end of the month finish in August, there will be plenty of overtime, Saturdays, great days to tear up the streets of Boston with a 5th scale lol no really. Brushless, No Cops

Heads up. I ran mine the other day without the rear shock limiting tubes on the shock shafts and after a few jumps the rear axle bent and broke the stub axle. The dog bone axles was traveling too far up into the stub axle at the wheel and binding! I will be reinstalling those up travel limiters ASAP!

Good info thanks gents, Has anyone discovered the spring weight of the stock springs? I have seen the 5T springs being used with decent results. What is the consensus now with shock oil weight? 7000 weight "diff" fluid for both front and rear?

For anyone who are running with 5T shocks, can you post a pic of how you mounted them onto the shock tower? I'm about to order a set of 5T shocks myself but I want to see them mounted before placing the order.

I shortened the rears 3/4" by using plastic/rubber tubing on the inside of the shock body. Just slide the rubber up the shaft til it hits the piston. The piston won't reach the bottom of the shock body. I have yet to run with them installed so I don't really offer any feedback on the way they handle. I also used the same rubber to go into the shock cap. It's just a bit wider than the hole in the cap so it squishes a bit when the hardware is tightened. Also used it at the bottom of the shaft to act as a cushion to help prevent seal blowouts. It's just the clear tubing that Lowes has in the plumbing section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 87
The tubing in side the shock is bad it lets the down travel change take the time and find hard tubing to put in them even the brass tubing is better just put washer on end with o ring on so it doers not cut them

So has anyone come up with a better way to get these to not "lawn dart" off of jumps other then 5-6K oil or 5ive shocks? Something like plugging the holes in the pistons and drilling smaller ones?

i messed with mine nearly every day for a couple weeks and finally got irritated so i just bought the parts to build 4 front 5ive shocks.
i tried making check valves in the shocks, drilling out the pistons, plugging holes, every possible combination oil from 3 to 7k and still had no luck. now it has 5ive shocks and i actually like it now.

i will say this though, with the stiffer springs 7k oil and the check valves they did work much better than when they were stock.

Interesting... Has anyone tried lighter weight oil?? The only talk Ive seen is of 3K+ oils. The stock 3k seems so thick and sluggish, my thinking is a stiffer spring and then just thick enough oil to control it from bouncing and not using thicker oil to to keep it from bottoming out. Seems doing that would take away from the shocks ability to react fast and make it bounce off the tire more. Just an Idea.

Any thoughts on a set of these Integy front shocks all the way around??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-C253...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9159834c

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks