Dbxl problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not likely a carb issue, a 668 would be right at home on an engine that size. Checking for intake gasket issues, insulator issues, could even be a tolerance issue in the engine. They guys are being a bit hard on you about the engine, but the knockoff engines have a long history of disappointing performance. You can go over them and make everything right, but time invested and knowledge of what to look for is typically not worth it. Sadly experiences such as this has a tendency to put people off the large scale experience. Back to basics and check over the few things mentioned. Then well go from there.

Check that you did not reverse the intake and return fuel lines. I've done this on more occasions than I can remember and it would cause the symptoms you are mentioning as well. Since the return line is shorter, if you reversed them it would cause the tank to gobble up the fuel on the upper portion of the fuel tank basically running for a few min then die when it starves of fuel. I've only had experience with King Motor and Rovan clone engines, and every single time the problem has been the piston's cracking and breaking apart. However, the motors never have problems starting or running till this happens. I would think the problems lies elsewhere for the moment and not in the fact that it's a chinese motor. You get the very same typical response from most RC enthusiasts that this and that is crap, buy this expensive part instead. Not helpful IMO. It's the obvious solution if money were no object. Some people can't afford that expensive part and need to work with what they have. Cheap stuff works just as good in some cases, but trouble shooting a cheap motor might be more problematic than it's worth. I would say for clone stuff, at least KM or Rovan are sometimes good.

I just converted a 23CC CY Dynamite motor with a 2 bolt Rovan 29cc head kit. The thing has been running strong now for 5 tanks and the compression is amazing. It hauls ass. Sometimes you get lucky.

Last edited:
I get it that people can’t always afford to get the best of the best but in this instance you really do get what you pay for. You might have had some luck as others have as well. But the chances of the motor being junk is much higher.

For what was paid for the engine of Amazon for a few dollars more you could have got a decent motor from DDM. It would be more reliable and you would have a warranty.

If you’re struggling to raise the extra cash over the $170 paid to Amazon for a $220 engine from DDM then you probably need to rethink your life priorities and get out of this hobby.

No point in blowing smoke up peoples arses telling them that as long as they roll their turd in glitter then it’s no longer a turd but a nice shiny motor. Wrong place for that, better off on FB.

Fair point. I'm not sure where the OP is from but for me shipping a 30.5cc KM motor from Aliexpress would cost me about $170USD shipped to my door. Whereas a Zenoah G290 from DDM would cost me about $345USD (taxes, duties and freight) to Canada. That's more than double the price. I'm not struggling for money, but the cost difference there made me consider the china motors. I learned a lot from tearing them down and in the end I was able to rebuild them and sell them locally for more than I paid. I have a good working KM one now so to me it paid for itself several times over.

Funny how your tune changed when milo responded brian. Must of not been a typical rc enthusiast comment I guess. And to put it point blank I took out a pension loan to fund my 5ive t 2.0 and if I can't afford name brand for the truck at the moment then it will sit till I can afford it. Sorry I guess I'm talking out of my ass and have no bearing on the cost to own these rigs as I have about 8k plus wrapped into 2 trucks 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Funny how your tune changed when milo responded brian. Must of not been a typical rc enthusiast comment I guess. And to put it point blank I took out a pension loan to fun my 5ive t 2.0 and if I can't afford name brand for the truck at the moment then it will sit till I can afford it. Sorry I guess I'm talking out of my ass and have no bearing on the cost to own these rigs as I have about 8k plus wrapped into 2 trucks 🤷‍♂️
No reason why you can't own and run 1/5 scale without dropping several k on it. People tend to be very defensive when it comes to their hobbies, and why not? You spent a lot of money on it. But to suggest that something is crap just because it didn't meet your standards is just silly. China parts and clone cars is what makes the hobby affordable and available to the masses. Whatever gets more people into the hobby is a good thing.

Yea but in the same respect it can make the hobby a poor experience. That's all I had a bad run in with a clone engine and I vowed never to own another

To each their own. The cheap parts got me into 1/5 scales, and I built my HPI Baja, DBXL and 5ive from bits. It cost me a lot less in the long run and I had fun learning and building everything myself. Sure, some clone parts were crap, but I saved lot of money in the long run with the cheaper clone stuff. Eventually, you replace the crap stuff with the quality made stuff, so in the end IMO everyone wins when it comes to manufacturers (clone or not). Just saying in my personal experience, it was worth it buying the cheaper clone motors. I had a couple that ran reliably and a couple that blew up. Just comes with the territory. Putting too much money into the hobby and taking it too seriously is what would kill it for me.

To each their own. The cheap parts got me into 1/5 scales, and I built my HPI Baja, DBXL and 5ive from bits. It cost me a lot less in the long run and I had fun learning and building everything myself. Sure, some clone parts were crap, but I saved lot of money in the long run with the cheaper clone stuff. Eventually, you replace the crap stuff with the quality made stuff, so in the end IMO everyone wins when it comes to manufacturers (clone or not). Just saying in my personal experience, it was worth it buying the cheaper clone motors. I had a couple that ran reliably and a couple that blew up. Just comes with the territory. Putting too much money into the hobby and taking it too seriously is what would kill it for me.
That’s a fair point, but not one for me. You clearly have the aptitude to troubleshoot, strip and build a motor. Not everyone has those skills or ability.

I also don't like beating my head into the dirt. Im a mechanic by trade and I see where cheap parts get you. Hey if you know what your getting into so be it.

You guys are funny
I do appreciate the constructive input. I have an O'Neil brothers racing engine sitting on my bench that I haven't put in. It is a pro mod that I just rebuilt the top end on . This guy gave me 4 motors with the dbxl . All had wrecked top ends because he was running without an air filter. The OBR was one of them. Any suggestions on what carb would be best for this motor? I guess I can take the Chinese clone as a learning experience.

All had wrecked top ends because he was running without an air filter.
What a feking idiot, I cannot put into words how upset that makes me. The worst part is that he couldnt feking learn from one he wreked feking FOUR, including an OBR pro mod, I mean seriously how feking dumb do you need to run without a filter in the first place.

Rant over

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks