DBXL Did I make a mistake ordering a DBXL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all of you again for the replies.

don't rush into buying just any rig just to have one...... buy right the first time
If it is that you can only get something decent in the new year just wait coz buying sub par rigs can be a giant pain.......my 2c

By don't rush, do you mean wait even if there are delays?
King Motor are great apparently, but I've read they sometimes come with crap servos. I mean, even after replacing everything, the cost would still probably not exceed the HPI Baja's price.
Is nitro really as finicky as they say? Here in my country there's isn't any extreme weather. It's either cold or hot, but the summer can be a little too hot sometimes and there never is any snow.

I've been waiting for the Savage X 4.6 for about 3 months now. I managed to save up some more money so if my next RC further increases my interest in RCs, I think I'm going to be spending a crapload on something beefier.

Nitro can be a pain. The 4.6 is decent. My 5.9 in my savage xl would need tuned all the time, my OS engines barely needed touched. Save for major temp swings. The fuel is very expensive. When I was big into nitro a gallon wouldn't make it more then a week or so. The most important thing to me would be to get what you can find parts for locally. I have the good fortune of living in the states so darn near everything is available. If a rovan is what you can afford then that's what you get. I personally would reccomend getting the HPI or Losi, but that's just my opinion. I have ran some of rovan and king motor parts. Some were good some not so much.

Thanks to all of you again for the replies.

By don't rush, do you mean wait even if there are delays?
King Motor are great apparently, but I've read they sometimes come with crap servos. I mean, even after replacing everything, the cost would still probably not exceed the HPI Baja's price.
Is nitro really as finicky as they say? Here in my country there's isn't any extreme weather. It's either cold or hot, but the summer can be a little too hot sometimes and there never is any snow.

I've been waiting for the Savage X 4.6 for about 3 months now. I managed to save up some more money so if my next RC further increases my interest in RCs, I think I'm going to be spending a crapload on something beefier.
Everything comes with crap servos..reguardless of scale or costs..Fact!(y)!..yes... successfully running a nitro is a pitfass regardless of weather ...FACT!(y)!.i..as most others on here started with nitro waaayyy bak and yes i did have fun with them(y) i aint gonna lie ,but the time trying to have fun..trying to make/keep it running/tuning/plugs far out weigh the fun times i had.....(n)....imo petrol rc is the sweet spot....cheap to run fuel wise.....far less tuning involved.....u get the noise unlike with brushless rc's.....

I'm into nitro and gassers. IMO there is NOTHING wrong with nitro, as long as you get a quality engine. Fuel is expensive. The quality fuel from my LHS is around $40 per gallon and sometimes goes on sale for $33. If going nitro then get a kit that has parts available in your country as Sean said. If you're good with wrenching get the 30cc Rovan baja that's on sale for $399. My buddy just bought it and is excited because it's his first 1/5 scale. I'm sure servos will need to be changed(as most RTRs) in a little bit and possibly a couple of the plastic pieces but if you're good with your hands then no sweat. Good luck on your choice!

Agree(y)...if u been running nitro for years then yeah its no probs:)...but for a total noob it can there first..(y).and last(n) try to get into this hobbie....imo.....as if u don't know what ur doing/should b doing then u aint gonna get far..then ur400-500$ rc gets chucked in the shed/garage as most thk" fek it cant b dealing with this crap.":confused:...were as a petrol rc will b soooo much eaiser ...even to a total noob....to get up n running (y)...imo

Last edited:
Agree(y)...if u been running nitro for years then yeah its no probs:)...but for a total noob it can there first..(y).and last(n) try to get into this hobbie....imo.....as if u don't know what ur doing/should b doing then u aint gonna get far..then ur400-500$ rc gets chucked in the shed/garage as most thk" fek it cant b dealing with crap.":confused:...were as a petrol rc will b soooo much eaiser ...even to a total noob....to get up n running (y)...imo
100% agree with you on the frustrations of nitro, but with YouTube everything can be done much easier after looking at experienced RCers showing their tricks of the trade. BOTAJELL will help any noob out that just gets into nitro or gas.

Again agree...(y).but even with vids u know sumtimes it still aint doing what the vids doing and then it goes on n on and u either get the hang of it(y)...or u don't :confused:....jus the price of glow plugs and fuel put me off now ...(n).not that I'd ever run a nitro again:ROFLMAO:

Thanks again for the replies!

Where are you from?
Malta, Europe

I'm into nitro and gassers. IMO there is NOTHING wrong with nitro, as long as you get a quality engine. Fuel is expensive. The quality fuel from my LHS is around $40 per gallon and sometimes goes on sale for $33. If going nitro then get a kit that has parts available in your country as Sean said. If you're good with wrenching get the 30cc Rovan baja that's on sale for $399. My buddy just bought it and is excited because it's his first 1/5 scale. I'm sure servos will need to be changed(as most RTRs) in a little bit and possibly a couple of the plastic pieces but if you're good with your hands then no sweat. Good luck on your choice!
That Rovan is out of the question, they ship from the US and it'll probably cost me another $400 just for getting it here, haha! :D

I consider myself to be a total noob but I am very patient and can follow tutorials. HPI have videos available to help with the Savage and there are tons of other videos and articles. Well, I guess if I don't try with my first nitro, I'm never touching a nitro haha.
It's a pricey nitro I know. Spending EUR460 on my first nitro RC, when there are much more cheaper models may sound ridiculous and stupid to some of you (and I do not blame you). My reasoning behind this is, basically I spend some decent money to get me a good quality item and I'll make sure to take great care of it as far as tuning is concerned.
What also makes it expensive is the fact that it comes with lots of extra goodies, as can be seen in this video.

The nitro price is not that much of a concern because I don't plan to use it constantly.
I could get the truck and never touch it again, for all I know (although I don't think this would be the case as I've had plenty of chance to cancel my order and I never did, there still seems to be a spark and I really want it now).

Tbh id go for a 2nd hand one jus to see if u actually do.like/can run/tune them befote dropping 500 bucks on one....(y)...
Yes, heard of 'em and visited their website 100 times by now. I was referring to the Rovan that's on sale. :)
Km/rovan same difference
U can pik up a tidy nitro for less then 100€ get it run it if u like go for ur brand new one(y) then sale the 2nd hand one on(y)
If u drop 500 on a new one.then decide u don't like it for what ever reason ur screwed (n) as u will loose so much selling it imo its not wirth the risk(y)

Last edited:
I'm an indecisive idiot... I am so picky it's honestly hindering my chance of ever actually getting something decent.
Initially I was going to get the Baja 5B RTR with DBOX, then the DBXL K&N. I was sure I was gonna go with gasoline. Then, I started liking nitro but found nothing that I like. Then, I found the Savage X 4.6 and ordered it. After lots of delays, I started changing my mind again and was gonna legit cancel the order and get the King Motor KM001, but, obviously, because I'm super picky and indecisive, I decided to wait for the Savage again.

There are models I probably forgot to mention because I've changed my mind so much in the last few months, it may sound mind-boggling to some of you. It's a mixture of me wanting something IMMEDIATELY but also wanting something that suits my tastes.

To make crap worse, something happened to HPI's manufacturing company (went bust or something), and they're out of stock on MOST of their products. It at least seems like they're still high in demand though because they're selling out FAST. My local hobby shop sold them out in just a few days (probably didn't get much stock to be honest). Even the Baja is out of stock and will probably arrive mid-late Feb.

Kinda sucks really...

Well cut out all this crap :rolleyes:and get what u were originally gonna get...a petro baja weather it b a hpi/lm/rovan imo...trust me u wont disapointed (y)..rc modz had plenty in stock and ship quik(y)
Obv its ur money so do what ever dude(y)...but we've all gave u good sound advice(y)...now u jus have to act on it....(y)...or don't(y)......imo theres no competition between a nitro...what ever it mayb.:rolleyes:..or a baja/mtxl/5ive/kmx2 ect.....:love:.....

Last edited:
In the states everything is to your door in 3 days max. Hell, with Amazon prime I get a lot things either same day or next day. No time for indecisiveness here:cool:

I've always envied those living in the USA to a point. Everything is dirt cheap there, everything is free to ship and arrives QUICK. It's not some island in the middle of the Mediterranean with local shops gouging prices and charging extra for no reason.
That's why almost every Maltese orders online.
Shipping is sometimes the dealbreaker though.

Yeah we gets screwed here in the uk price wise:mad::mad::mad:.....pisses me off big-time but what can u do:rolleyes:

Actually, the UK is the cheapest I've managed to find for most HPI stuff.
Some of the stuff they have even local shops won't touch.
When I called for the Baja the guy legit told me I shouldn't be getting one, it's loud, expensive, blah blah blah, and guess what, he recently sold one. They use this technique here, "Basically, if I don't have it in stock right now, it sucks and you shouldn't get it!"
I actually found the Baja for very cheap from Poland but shipping was going to cost me EUR232 and I had to cancel the order.

I'll be waiting for the Savage for now. My friend also told me it would probably be the best thing to do.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply and express their opinions. Honestly, I'm surprised at the rate with which replies were being sent.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks