D's HPI twin build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After not being able to get a decent tune on both heads? @idle its always one head firing and and only after I open it up will the second on fire( pull start side) i have adjusted the low both ways without much luck?‍♂️ so i have taken some advice form @spents and place an order for a pair of 668 carbs? as he was say he'd had much better luck getting g a balanced tune???

I've got a question Doug, and I'm not implying anything by this, I'm actually curious. With all the trouble that twins are (especially yours, with the crankshaft issues), like getting proper tunes on both cylinders and making sure it doesn't overheat and such, is it really worth it ? Or would you have (if you were to do it all over again) just get a big single cylinder? Like a 50gt or whatever.

A twin (specially mine?) is not for the faint of heart?? but I have sorted out the crank?? as you know......and made it through a complete rebuild??? so the next little hurdle is get a spot on tune?? and I don't think that the alx 80 is anything different as far as a balanced tune is concerned ? . But I don't think it is gonna beat me ? just makes me more determined ?? and no id still get a twin coz nothing has that sound?
I've got a question Doug, and I'm not implying anything by this, I'm actually curious. With all the trouble that twins are (especially yours, with the crankshaft issues), like getting proper tunes on both cylinders and making sure it doesn't overheat and such, is it really worth it ? Or would you have (if you were to do it all over again) just get a big single cylinder? Like a 50gt or whatever.

A twin (specially mine?) is not for the faint of heart?? but I have sorted out the crank?? as you know......and made it through a complete rebuild??? so the next little hurdle is get a spot on tune?? and I don't think that the alx 80 is anything different as far as a balanced tune is concerned ? . But I don't think it is gonna beat me ? just makes me more determined ?? and no id still get a twin coz nothing has that sound?
Yeah I meant any twin, they are all like that regarding tune. Glad to hear you are pleased with it, the sound is feking amazing

For sure and its just a small little frustration left now??
I had it on a crate the other day with a pedestal fan for cooling? and I played around with it for a an hour or so tunning? but when I got it into the field it was not right?? also rechecked all fuel line and clunks?? re did all gasket ?? made sure the carb butterfly where in sync......and still not 100% happy?‍♂️ @spents some time back had said that his twin with 1107 was a mare and 668 was a better fit so....I ordered a pair ??

Ok here's some information I'll toss out there. The 1107 is ideal for heavily modded engines. Ideally 32cc or larger. A single 1107 would stand a better chance at feeding both cylinders then 2 of them. Your right around the cut off range for each cylinder. The 668 is the performance code for the smaller cc engines. So your tuning in the heart of its range. Stop looking at it as a twin, and more as 2 singles. You'll have an easier time tuning it.

After not being able to get a decent tune on both heads? @idle its always one head firing and and only after I open it up will the second on fire( pull start side) i have adjusted the low both ways without much luck?‍♂️ so i have taken some advice form @spents and place an order for a pair of 668 carbs? as he was say he'd had much better luck getting g a balanced tune???

yeh 1107's on a twin are a mare doug,
and yeh i remember giving you a lengthy post way back , wernt that on zannus forum ?
but yeh the 668's seem to be the best for the twin, thats my experience w=anyways as ya know,
part of the low/idle issue is that feckin carb connector doug, once you get a bit of wear on the blue centre bit it wont run well on the idle,
no one seems to do a two into one linkage with good adjustment for the twin either, often thought of trying to make one myself, but room is lacking around the twin for adding more stuff :LOL:,
as for only getting the pull start side to fire once you open throttle on the clutch side, all ya need to do is open the idle on start side a tad doug, but that means getting both carbs bang on closed when setting that linkage up, and oh is that linkage a tosspot, i've sworn at that many times with all the words :ROFLMAO:,
when you say you ordered apair of 668's, do you mean from obr or just a standard pair from ddm or wherever ?
remember the carbs are modded doug, clutch side has idle adjust machined off, as well as return spring removed,
oh, and the plate pressed off on the idle side of that carb as well, no big deal though, just make sure you reconnect the butterfly on that carb tightly after modding the shaft, and stake the screw with a heavy pair of long nose plyers (y),
bearing modded carbs are better as well , non bearing ones on the twins tend to wear oddly at the shaft and cause low end running issues with air leaks through the shaft hole, it don't take much to cause an issue,
my twin with the 668's on (there actually 997's i think the number is and its the same as a 668),
well mine has run 40 plus tanks and i've barely had to adjust the tune on em, runs fine untill temps get a little high, but i have external fan for idle and low speed cooling blowing across the carbs and through the fins, i bearing modded mine early on cos the shaft holes do wear quick,
my cylinder temps are in the region of 10 to 12 deg c of each other and thats the key with a twin, get one cylinder way over the other and they fight each other if that makes sense,
once you do get it all set right it really is like leave it alone and thrash the sack off it doug (y):ROFLMAO:,
nice short reply for ya doug :ROFLMAO:,

There is s bit of play on the clutch side carb shaft but no more than any other rigs I have (none have brearing modded shafts) ? but there is more force applied to that side coz now the lever is operating X2 carbs rather than just the one? so not now but i could see more wear happening over time?‍♂️

Yes I realize ill have to mod the carbs ? no big deal?? and they are not from obr just stock carbs?? ill get there do like a challenge ?

yeh i knew you realised the carbs were modded doug (y),
i was wording it so anyone that read it and doesn't know the twin carb setup had an idea of how they are wet up,
i think that makes sense doug :LOL: sort of,
plus i did my usual spents ramble on for feckin ages :ROFLMAO:
edit, missed the feckin s and hit the w :ROFLMAO:

Well at least it is my wife legit like ??and not my cousin ? ???????
Unlike some (doug) I don't need someone to read long posts, or may be he just cant read, and his wife gets sick of reading long arse posts to him ?‍♂️
20201220_160815.jpg20201220_160739.jpg
So took her out for a spin and I blew a foam in like 2 mins?‍♂️?
Still plenty pep??

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks