[Identified HARM SR1]Help identify 1/5 GT car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Square hubs are known as "FG" style hubs. It's basically the standard for large scale 1/5-1/6 road cars.
There's several other companies that use it smartech,nutech and Carson - to name a few.
It makes it cheap + easy to swap wheels between different makers.
Not all though - some use hex style.

FG 2spd issues - are/were:
Very finicky to set up + maintain. Main issues were design + getting it to shift into 2nd gear and setting shift point(pin).
Wrong Installation errors by company didn't help either.
There are fixes but a lot of people wrote them off by then.
(I think there are issue answers in the forum here,do a search.)

Also the fact different pn# for each vehicle type got confusing.
2wd car : FG Evo was a different then FG 2wd sportsline pn#. 2wd,4wd and buggy along with chassis size, all different pn#s.
Then parts had to be changed to make room for the new gearing clearance, like rear arms etc.
It's not a simple drop in add on,in some cases.
But there's alot of people that get it to work fine, Soo...YMV.

If it's difficult to use and maintain,it gets cast aside for an easier setup,especially when racing.

To use one now - research if your particular vehicle ever had a 2spd. The closer it is to FG, the better.
Some have no issues at all and others use them on models besides FG with a little modding and work fine using orig design.
(case by case of course.)

Aftermarket designed ones available now seem to work a lot better, I only say that in regards to FG.
Issues from decades ago are still parroted as fact today -
Mostly as hearsay.
These have been around for a long time and most companies moved on from multi gearing for simplicity.

As long as you know the potential issue and fixes,you can make your own choice.
I've always wanted one,I'll probably get it in the future.
For now my current gearing is the same as the high (2nd gear)
,so no point (I have a stronger engine to make up for missing low end gearing)
It's deffinitely cool to say " I have a 2speed".?

If you do go for it be carefull if you buying from eBay,there are some "FG clone 2spds" made in China.
Real are from Germany.

I've seen videos of this aftermarket one working well.
If I get one it'll probably be this one. If any issues at least I can talk to them about it.(texted company)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113802300870

So I hope this help in your decision on 2spds.

Buy it if you have the money:ROFLMAO: that's what i'm doing ahahaha.
If i see something that i like and i have the money i will buy it without to think about it. ???

oh today i started to disassemble my GT,
I saw that the front hubs that came with GTB hydraulic brakes that i ordered for my mad force project fit but they are hexagon.
Do you have any rim to sugest ? ?

Last edited:
Buy it if you have the money:ROFLMAO: that's what i'm doing ahahaha.
If i see something that i like and i have the money i will buy it without to think about it. ???

I did that also at first! and learned the hard way.
I spendt a lot more money then I to needed.
I didn't check if parts were compatible, i bought what I thought I needed without research.
I've learned that's definitely NOT the way to go about it, trust me.
Testament to that is all the spare parts I have that aren't compatible.
Many times a model by the same company under goes revisions and updates + parts changes. You wont find that out until building your project.
Do yourself a favor and make a list of what you need - FIRST - DO RESEARCH.
Find a manual or find a GREAT FORUM (LSF?),where people will help you and give helpfull advice- In most cases?.
That way you get to learn whats compatible,fixes and needed tips.
Optional parts are great if they can be used.
Once you have it in running condition,the orig parts can be swapped out and used as spares/backups.
Getting parts outside of what you initially need isn't cost effective unless you know they'll work with your build already.
WHEN money gets low ( It always does) and you can't afford to finish,you'll look at those xtra parts differently.
This isn't to be preachy, I hope you'll understand i made the same mistake.
If I can help someone avoid the same mistake,it's worth it.

Example:
The 2spd is missing the clutch bell housing with the longer shaft that 2spds need to fit the gears onto. It might be missing the shifting mechanism also.
The low price reflect somethings up. So unless you knew that + have the missing parts or know where to get them,this is useless on its own.
See what I mean...

Addendum:
You need to know what size hex,1/8 scale are smaller then 1/5 scale.
1/5 hex= 24.
You'll have to measure to see what size hex on the gtb you have.
What type/size are the originals?.
If hex then hex rims,if square then square rims.

Last edited:
I'll take a look.
Ok, there just standard servo mounts. You can get them in most hobby stores or you might have some already.
DDM is out of stock right now.

So you want to put me on payroll now or.....?

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-06-18-19-33-24.png
    Capture+_2020-06-18-19-33-24.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture+_2020-06-18-19-30-47.png
    Capture+_2020-06-18-19-30-47.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks