JT3 Vekta build log.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run snap on t handles allen and torx. Had the same 3 sets for years and years now. Never broken one yet, never had a allen in good shape strip out.

I just bought a set of Eklind T handles and some Austrian brand I've never heard of speed bits lol. They're supposed to be chrome vanadium, so hopefully, they'll hold up.
Since y'all are talking about hex bits, il throw my vote in (since my poop is always broke and I'm always wrenching ?). I use the DDM shorty bits (the long ones will be fine too , Shorty's were just so cheap). And bhondus t handles. Both are great options and have handled my abuse ,no problem. Also I have some kenexis/dynamite ones, but they are kinda poop.
Bondhus is an old brand, I've heard good things about them. Supposedly they invented the ball end hex. DDM bits are what I snapped off. First time using it lol, was hand tightening too.

Yeah, I questioned my snap on guy real hard about it. He said they had issues with the older version t handles (us made) so they sourced another company. Idk. I've had them 6 years at least. I do have socket types as well, just likes these for the 2 stroke engine and what not.

So I got off work early today due to the weather and decided to start tearing apart the Vekta. I put in the TR steering link, the Vertigo upper steering brace, and the Vertigo chassis brace. I also put my shock boots on. I don't think I put the boots on the right way, they don't look as clean at top and bottom as most people's boots do, but I don't really care as I ordered blue and then ended up changing my mind about my color scheme afterward, so they won't be on long. Here's a few pics.
View attachment 60547
View attachment 60548
View attachment 60549
View attachment 60550
I also had my first casualty. My 3mm ball end hex (DDM) snapped off in the bolt that holds the chassis brace to the steering brace. I managed to get the ball out of the bolt with a couple of picks, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a magnetic pick up tool.

View attachment 60545
View attachment 60546
Side note... what do you guys use to work on the 1/5 vehicles in regards to a stand? I've been looking at the axis, but it's sold out everywhere.
Ball end keys should not be used for cracking loose or final tighten of bolts or there is a good chance they will brake as you found out???

Ball end keys should not be used for cracking loose or final tighten of bolts or there is a good chance they will brake as you found out???

I beg to differ. I use my Bondhus ball end and my HD Huskey 3/8" allen wrenches for breaking and final tightening all the time, the latter being reserved for the torque wrench. The caveat being that I only use 4mm and larger ball ends for this purpose. The 3mm ball end is a complete joke on any long shaft kit, my Huskey 3mm ball end snapped with hardly any torque, so I squared it off, like it should have been from the start. Bondhus had the good sense to keep anything smaller than 4mm a square end when I bought my kit in 2009, and they've all withstood the test of time.

Make your own stand. I did the ridgid stand, and it isnt bad but not as great as you think once you really need to get under the chassis or taking it far apart. I made one for under $175 and has almost all the same features as a axis stand. Only thing it doesn't have is the tool tray.

Used a axis plate for vehicle specific application, axis swivel, and the stand pictured. Take less than 5 mins to modify and assemble to. Hold my heavy ass baja and losi no issues.

20200123_225812.jpg20200123_224205.jpg20200130_194653.jpg20200601_185418.jpg

Attachments

• 20200123_225812.jpg
    20200123_225812.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1
Make your own stand. I did the ridgid stand, and it isnt bad but not as great as you think once you really need to get under the chassis or taking it far apart. I made one for under $175 and has almost all the same features as a axis stand. Only thing it doesn't have is the tool tray.

Used a axis plate for vehicle specific application, axis swivel, and the stand pictured. Take less than 5 mins to modify and assemble to. Hold my heavy ass baja and losi no issues.

View attachment 60572View attachment 60574View attachment 60575View attachment 60576
Looks like the one @crucialRC made in his video. I think that's the route I'm going to go. I was going to pick up the Ridgid stand at home depot for now, but they didn't have any in stock when I was there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks