Just got my Baja 5b, how can i make this thing quieter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I am using with my Rovan clone limited edition (blue). Had to remove the stock exhaust as it was ear shattering loud even from a distance. I have the same exhaust on a King Motor clone (red/orange) and thought it sounded great, not too loud and did not seem to hinder performance. Both cars have the steel version. There is an aluminum one as well but did not feel like going through exhaust units. It is a straight pipe from the motor that bends down to an expansion chamber and has two mufflers on each side. Also, you need the extended rear bumper for exhaust protection. A little bit of grinding required on the rear support to get it to fit properly due to clearance between the pipe and upper bumper support. It would also fit with the stock assembly and I believe you can buy it with a steel rear bumper in place of the stock parts. I am still a newbie to this scale so there may be better options than what I am running now.

Attachments

• 20211107_115603.jpg
    20211107_115603.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20211125_111025.jpg
    20211125_111025.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 20
This is what I am using with my Rovan clone limited edition (blue). Had to remove the stock exhaust as it was ear shattering loud even from a distance. I have the same exhaust on a King Motor clone (red/orange) and thought it sounded great, not too loud and did not seem to hinder performance. Both cars have the steel version. There is an aluminum one as well but did not feel like going through exhaust units. It is a straight pipe from the motor that bends down to an expansion chamber and has two mufflers on each side. Also, you need the extended rear bumper for exhaust protection. A little bit of grinding required on the rear support to get it to fit properly due to clearance between the pipe and upper bumper support. It would also fit with the stock assembly and I believe you can buy it with a steel rear bumper in place of the stock parts. I am still a newbie to this scale so there may be better options than what I am running now.
The problem with those exhausts is the power to weight ratio takes a hit 🤦‍♂️ with the double silencer. You'll notice a massive difference in performance with a real dyno tested pipe. Less mass and more go👍🏻

Absolutely true, weight is critical if you want to maintain performance. I did state that there may be better options than what I am using. As for the weight of that exhaust, it has about the same mass as the performance pipe I took off of the car. That thing was huge compared to the pipes that came on the other two vehicles. I would not doubt I have a performance penalty with the pipe in question. However, I did not see much of a difference between that and what was original.

@Bandit2013
So shiny! :love:

Yeah, looking at that exhaust I have to wonder how it affects the powerband.
Not much "flow" path.
looks like it hits a dead end in the "expansion chamber" before it reaches the pipes for the exit.
But I love the way it looks. :cool:

Also on the brand name Dominator, I found it interesting that the exhaust port size for the final exit is much smaller than the rovan's.
I found I needed to reduce some fueling (lean it out) to get it to run right.
My last outing after tuning it, the engine seems to rev much higher.

Then the original clutch spring finally gave out.
clutch shoes were done anyways, so good to get it out of there.

When I had the car apart for the new clutch, I decided it was time to tear into the rear end since it's been nearly a year.

I had just enough diff grease on hand to flush and fill the diff with fresh clear fluid.
Came out nice and black and thick, but it didn't leak out, so I'm happy. :poop:

My rear bumper for now is a piece of stainless tubing I had on hand, held on with zip ties and stainless aircraft safety wire for good measure...

and I'm assuming the new two-piece exhaust will resist bending up by the engine, the rovans's original exhaust kinked up by the engine when it got hit. :ROFLMAO:

Only real complaint with the dominator is that it made it harder to work on slightly.
the rear most support bolt is hard to get to, but not impossible
I have to come in at an angle with a socket, so it's not ideal and likely to strip later on...

and while on the subject, I find myself looking at a 35cc engine...
Nothing special, but I think it might make a fun porting/"flowing" project.

I did say I was going to get weights, just for S&Gs. There is a weight difference of 10.6 ounces. May as well call it a pound. I cannot claim either exhaust ideal. Have no experience with the brand name stuff, i.e. Bartolone or Olimat, some of which can be expensive. For big bore engines, I can see the need for a really good pipe. Also for racing applications. For general bashing I am sure it helps but with my luck it will be the first thing that gets taken out. The DDM victory and dominator pipes are fairly priced. Not sure what their weight is as it is not specified.

As for the Rovan parts, I believe both are made of the same materials and poorly chrome plated. One was a take-off and the other just came in to replace the one I have reused from a wreck. The mounting ear was broken off when I slammed the wall. I did manage to install it on my ESP-Zenoah G34RC engine but did not want to run it by header bolts as the only support for the pipe.
For some reason or another, I like the dual exhaust thing. Perhaps it is more of a novelty than a performance part. Also, what looks like silencers on the ends, are just hollow chambers, more of a resonator than baffled silencer.

Attachments

• 20220129_032958.jpg
    20220129_032958.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220129_033018.jpg
    20220129_033018.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 5
I did say I was going to get weights, just for S&Gs. There is a weight difference of 10.6 ounces. May as well call it a pound. I cannot claim either exhaust ideal. Have no experience with the brand name stuff, i.e. Bartolone or Olimat, some of which can be expensive. For big bore engines, I can see the need for a really good pipe. Also for racing applications. For general bashing I am sure it helps but with my luck it will be the first thing that gets taken out. The DDM victory and dominator pipes are fairly priced. Not sure what their weight is as it is not specified.

As for the Rovan parts, I believe both are made of the same materials and poorly chrome plated. One was a take-off and the other just came in to replace the one I have reused from a wreck. The mounting ear was broken off when I slammed the wall. I did manage to install it on my ESP-Zenoah G34RC engine but did not want to run it by header bolts as the only support for the pipe.
For some reason or another, I like the dual exhaust thing. Perhaps it is more of a novelty than a performance part. Also, what looks like silencers on the ends, are just hollow chambers, more of a resonator than baffled silencer.
I don’t remember which engine your rovan has but Im running a cheap can in mine with a 29cc and the engine has plenty of power to burn the tires in asphalt… So I don’t think the performance matters too much for casual bashing and for having a shiny car.
It must be cool to add more oil to the gas and leave trails of smoke with that double exhaust lol

I don’t remember which engine your rovan has but Im running a cheap can in mine with a 29cc and the engine has plenty of power to burn the tires in asphalt… So I don’t think the performance matters too much for casual bashing and for having a shiny car.
It must be cool to add more oil to the gas and leave trails of smoke with that double exhaust lol
I was running the 36cc engine in both the Rovan and King Motor cars. I still have the 36cc engine in the Rovan, will use the other as a spare. King motor will now sport its original engine, 30.5cc since I figured out what was wrong with it other than the embossed King Motor name in the casting. The new build project where I made my own 5B Baja with mostly RCMAX/TALOR parts with a few exceptions due to availability may be Rovan and other components. That one will sport a Zenoah-ESP G340RC engine. Will be running the same dual tipped exhaust on that as well. Have not fired it up yet so not sure if it will be louder or the same. I believe it will be much louder than the 36cc Rovan engine. With the wreck rebuild, I will be using the original KM 30.5cc engine and the Thor exhaust. Still working on the wreck rebuild. Almost done with it. Not expecting the Thor will be quiet but doubt it will be ear piercing like the one I pulled off of the Rovan Limited Edition. Tried to like it but nope, could not stand the sound even when it was far away, I could just hear my neighbors complaining about that. The Rampage Cat-Box that I but on the Barca is loud as heck. Looks like a stock can but different. Perhaps if the Baja had more of a body and roll cage to protect the control arms from damage, I would run whatever will fit. On Road vehicle or say a Losi 5IVE-T. Would I opt for a silenced version of a performance pipe or not? Depends on how loud it gets. I would probably opt for silenced format as I believe the silencer can be removed (on some pipes).

As far as compression, I would assume both the Zenoah-ESP G34RC and the King Motor 30.5 engine will have far more compression than the 36cc engines I have. I had to swap the pull start on the Zenoah as I found it almost impossible to get more than one rotation with the stock pull start. First thing I broke on the King motor was the pull start. Too much cord travel used up to engage the pawl and not much left to rotate the engine. Feels like a piston stop is used in place of the spark plug. The 36cc engine makes you wonder if there is a spark plug installed. Lack of squish or compression with those engines. Matters not if it is a single piston ring or dual piston ring. There was a video showing the flaw of the 36cc and 45cc Rovan engines. On the down stroke, you can see the top of the piston through the intake port. I confirmed this with the 36cc engine I pulled from the wreck. With the 30.5cc and Zenoah-ESP engine, this does not occur. I may take apart the Rovan 36cc engine an rebuild it without the head gasket and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps the connecting rod is too short, or the casting was designed poorly. That is reason for the lack of performance from the 36cc engine and would assume the same with the 45cc. No compression or lack of sufficient compression. The down stroke at its bottom has a 0.010" gap exposing the combustion camber to the intake port. I do not think I will buy another Rovan engine anytime soon. Not sure this can be corrected. May be worth rebuilding just for the experience. Wonder if the Exceed 32cc engine has this issue. It is easier to start with the stock pull start gear. Still, I have to admit that the Barca has outperformed the King motor 2 speed used with the 36cc engine. Either way, I was able to spin the tires on tarmac or concrete with the 36cc engine. I would have to look to see if the Rovan LE has the 2 ring piston. Will need to remove something to find out (exhaust or carb). I think it does but not sure anymore. The 36cc engine I bought to replace the KM 30.5 is the single ring piston version.

I will find out soon enough how the KM 30.5cc and the Zenoah-esp G340RC compare. I do not believe I will be disappointed. As a beginner in this scale, the 36cc engine was a good starting point, easy to start, lacks performance of a good engine so the control may be easy to predict vs one that has the performance of a nitro engine spinning the rear end radically as was the case with a Team Associated Nitro RC10. The 4WD nitro cars are much easier to control vs the RWD one. Been a long while since I smelled the Nitro exhaust. Wonder if they still work. I did replace the old FM receivers with the flysky units that came on the KM and the Rovan. Since I am running the Flysky Nobel with the 1/5 scale cars, I had a few of the 2.4MHZ transmitters and receivers unused. The good news is that the receivers work well with the 20 year old servos.

Looking to get a Primal Raminator V3 one of these days. What ever pipe that works with that kit will be used. I did have the Losi 5IVE-T and the Kaken Vekta on my next list, but the Raminator seems to interest me more, just for what it is. In either case, a performance pipe would be desired since it is tucked in under the body and roll cage.

I will only be running two Baja vehicles with the dual exhaust unit. Rovan Limited Ed (blue) and the one I made from scratch (has the Zen, black with no fin and some red alloy parts here and there). The image of the rear half was the wreck, had the 36cc engine, rebuild with the KM 30.5cc engine and stock exhaust (original parts). Also included the Exceed Barca with the cat-box exhaust since I made reference of it. I guess I have a preference for alloy since I was stuck with plastic mostly in the 1/10 scale. Does not make it any better as metal will bend, break and warp just like plastic when slamming a wall at full speed. Also adds a weight penalty with the exception of the Barca which gained only an ounce or two prior to change of the roll cage (also without wheels installed).

Attachments

• 20211205_150546.jpg
    20211205_150546.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211221_142536.jpg
    20211221_142536.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211221_083704.jpg
    20211221_083704.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211107_115603.jpg
    20211107_115603.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220123_145713.jpg
    20220123_145713.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211221_125422.jpg
    20211221_125422.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220130_094118.jpg
    20220130_094118.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220130_142258.jpg
    20220130_142258.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 5
I’ve complained about this in the past the thing about walls of words, but this really is;

dope hipster GIF

Fcuking

Bored Typography GIF by Feibi McIntosh

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Apologies for the rudeness but this forum has changed and it needs to go back to the way it was, it was much more betterer. 😂

I’ve complained about this in the past the thing about walls of words, but this really is;

dope hipster GIF

Fcuking

Bored Typography GIF by Feibi McIntosh

Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

Apologies for the rudeness but this forum has changed and it needs to go back to the way it was, it was much more betterer. 😂
I did not force you to read it. You seem to be targeting me for some reason Milo. Perhaps that is just your nature. I can leave it simple if you prefer. I can cut it down to just two words it that would help.

I’m really not targeting you, and I’m sorry if it seems so. It just the quality of the content and ribs has dropped slightly and that is not a dig at you personally.

I am guilty for not contributing as much as I have in the past but I’m having a general moan.

Sorry for the long post. And if the content was a bit off. Yeah, I would agree after looking at it. My bad, I walked away for a while before I hit the post button. Too much and off topic.

As for a quiet exhaust other than the Rovan dual pipe. Got the KM 30.5cc fired up. The KM Thor exhaust was actually quiet. That I did not expect. I cannot relate on performance as I have not tried other brands yet.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks