list of basic tools

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because drills have torque limiters. An impact will continue to drive until you let go of the trigger. We’re talking about stripping threads not stripping the head of the screw.
Impacts have the exact same thing. Decent ones anyways. 3 settings on mine. Its the impacts hammering effect that makes the most difference. It breaks fasteners loose way better, without blowing the heads or threads. I don't know how to explain it better. But there is a reason the world has moved to them. They wouldn't exist if drills did it better?‍♂️

Impacts have the exact same thing. Decent ones anyways. 3 settings on mine. Its the impacts hammering effect that makes the most difference. It breaks fasteners loose way better, without blowing the heads or threads. I don't know how to explain it better. But there is a reason the world has moved to them. They wouldn't exist if drills did it better?‍♂️
There’s also a reason drills still exist ? there’s literally no need for an impact driver when inserting bolts into machined threads. Especially when the bolt only needs like 20 in lb of torque. That’s like saying bicycles are useless because motorcycles were invented. They may be able to accomplish the same task but they serve different purposes. Like I said. An impact is probably better for tear down because it’ll break the loctite. But I’d prefer a torque limiting (not RPM limiting) device for fastening.

What do you guys use for installing bearings? Other than the heating up method. Was thinking of getting a small arbor press. But not sure if I would need to buy some kind of accessories for it to not damage bearings.

Ideally you need to get the alloy to around 400*f and freeze the bearing. It should fall right in place. But be ready to have a socket on hand to give it a love tap just to make sure its sitting square. I've used this method for many years and have found it to be very good, aside from playing with high heat, its fast and easy. A heat gun may not get up to high enough temps. If my wife is home and I don't have the oven for use, I will use my map gas (propane would be just fine) torch to heat it up. The key is to keep moving and heating the area uniformly. I also have a ir temp gen. So normally when I get a fairly consistent 400*f ish it's time for the bearing to drop.
If you have a small arbor press you could use it. You would need to make what ever adapters you need to keep the piece square with the arbor, and something close to the od of the bearing to press it is. (Generally a socket can be used) you do,imo, run a slightly higher risk of getting out of square with the press, and if the piece isnt properly supported from underneath you could also risk inducing a twist or bend into the piece. It is the faster method once your set up to do it.

There’s also a reason drills still exist ? there’s literally no need for an impact driver when inserting bolts into machined threads. Especially when the bolt only needs like 20 in lb of torque. That’s like saying bicycles are useless because motorcycles were invented. They may be able to accomplish the same task but they serve different purposes. Like I said. An impact is probably better for tear down because it’ll break the loctite. But I’d prefer a torque limiting (not RPM limiting) device for fastening.
Indeed, for drilling holes. The rest of the world uses impacts for fasteners. I don't know what impacts your using, but every one of mine will torque out on low settings, same as a drill, just not 20 diffrent settings. They aren't just RPM settings. Im starting to question if we're talking about the same tools

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks