My new toy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya im really excited to get milling. Just hope I have the skills to actually make good parts. After a bit of thought, im gonna start with small bits like skid plates and such. Wanna get a feel for operating this thing before I go carving up big pieces of aluminum. Bought the aluminum gun for my mig welder aswell so I can make gas tanks and other such bits.

It's not necessarily a hard thing to use. Just have to go slow, and think about what your trying to achieve. I'm definitely not the best on a milling machine but I've turned out some nice stuff already. And if I can do it, I'm sure you can do it
I think ill be ok. I work in a cabinet shop and am familiar with CNC, and other woodworking machinery. Can't be to much different or harder to learn than working wood.

Ya im really excited to get milling. Just hope I have the skills to actually make good parts. After a bit of thought, im gonna start with small bits like skid plates and such. Wanna get a feel for operating this thing before I go carving up big pieces of aluminum. Bought the aluminum gun for my mig welder aswell so I can make gas tanks and other such bits.

And 100% Ar gas of course...

Gone are the days of small alloy parts that cost way to much money for what they are. A local machine shop closed down, and I scored this Bridgeport for a measly $300. First order of buisness will be a thick chassis for my dbxl and mtxl. Not counting the mill and time, should cost me under $20 each. Provided I don't make many mistakes while learning. View attachment 56467
Lucky bastard?

It sure is. I have an AC TIG welder and never used a MIG. I know it's possible but it wont be pretty. I think thin material is going to be a real challenge with MIG.
No issues with a mig, just need the right wire and know how to set up your machine. Same as any other. I prefer to mig aluminium if I can. I do have access to a pulse welder for aluminum which night and day compared to a normal mig or even a tig. Not very good with the tig myself. Everyone has a preference, my younger brother is a professional welder. Makes chassis parts for drag cars. He only uses uses a tig and thinks a mig is for idiots, guess I'm an idiot.

Free servo clamps. Just got to cut em out. They're not nice, i need mucho practice.20200422_162725.jpg20200422_162718.jpg20200422_162715.jpg20200422_162651.jpg
This poop aint easy.?
Oh boy,China's gonna have competition.?
After my first attempt china has nothing to worry about. Its not holding depth well. Not sure if its got worn out bits or not. Raises up about 1/32 every now and then. My hands are not very steady yet. Had 3 oops's on 2 little clamps. I was so excited to try it I just dove in, and it shows.? ill be practicing alot this weekend.

Last edited:
It takes a bit but you'll get the hang of it.
Ya, gotta get used to what lever moves the table what way. I made many mistakes by moving the part the wrong way across the tool. Ill get better soon I hope, because I wouldn't give those clamps away.?
Lol,maybe you got a "Clone".?
Nah, genuine Bridgeport. As much as id like to blame the machine, its mostly my incompetence.?‍♂️

Looks like dull cutter with the big burrs you got. Also could be you are feeding it too fast or too slow. MAke sure to use the quill lock after you come down to depth. Make sure it is tight not just a little snug. Part may also be coming up out of vise or getting pushed down? Get a set of parallel bars to put under the part also. This will help a lot.
Also. What are you using for cutting oil if any? You can take some cuts on certain material lightly with no coolant but other material you will have to use coolant on it. Get a book called the Machinest Handbook. Looks overwhelming and huge but tons of info in it to help you learn.

Looks like dull cutter with the big burrs you got. Also could be you are feeding it too fast or too slow. MAke sure to use the quill lock after you come down to depth. Make sure it is tight not just a little snug. Part may also be coming up out of vise or getting pushed down? Get a set of parallel bars to put under the part also. This will help a lot.
Also. What are you using for cutting oil if any? You can take some cuts on certain material lightly with no coolant but other material you will have to use coolant on it. Get a book called the Machinest Handbook. Looks overwhelming and huge but tons of info in it to help you learn.
Thanks for the tips. No clue what most of that means, but gives me a place to start looking. I used gun oil because its what I had and wanted to try it. ? probably a bit aggressive on my cuts imo, but dunno. Gonna have my old man come over this weekend to help me. Hes ran screw machines and other stuff over 50 years so should be able to school me. I don't learn well from books. Always done better by doing the task. Plus I need to mooch some of his equipment and tools. This craps pricey and trying to be frugal since jobs aren't guaranteed anymore. Thanks again for the tips.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks