My new toy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21bangbang

Has a well-known member
Build Thread Contributor
Gone are the days of small alloy parts that cost way to much money for what they are. A local machine shop closed down, and I scored this Bridgeport for a measly $300. First order of buisness will be a thick chassis for my dbxl and mtxl. Not counting the mill and time, should cost me under $20 each. Provided I don't make many mistakes while learning. 20200204_140945.jpg

Wow, what a huge score ! Bridgeport J heads go for a minimum of $1K out my way. Is that a single or 3 phase motor ?

I believe its 3 phase, but honestly don't know. Im hiring riggers to move it, and a electrician to wire it up. Stuff like this is everywhere in CT. Machine shops were everywhere until the 90's. Alot of the old screw machines just get scrapped. No orders yet. Im no machinist. Luckily my old man is so he can school me.

You're going to need a bigger vise for that baby. Did you get any parallels or other tooling with it . And if you plan on doing the chassis out of 7075 Aluminum it's coing to cost you more than 20 bucks for a block of aluminum big enought to whittle down to size. This is going to be fun to watch. Nice find on the mill.

You're going to need a bigger vise for that baby. Did you get any parallels or other tooling with it . And if you plan on doing the chassis out of 7075 Aluminum it's coing to cost you more than 20 bucks for a block of aluminum big enought to whittle down to size. This is going to be fun to watch. Nice find on the mill.
It has a few other vises, one a good bit larger. Also a box of random tooling that im honestly not all that familiar with. Anything else I need I can hopefully mooch off my old man. This is going to be a learning process for me, but for 300 I figured why not. The aluminum really isn't very expensive. They sell it in sheets too, so wont need to over purchase. Going through my fathers machine shop, that buys in bulk and has a good relationship with wholesalers, the prices aren't bad at all. He's the one who gave me a ballpark number on cost and he's been doing it almost 50 years, so im sure hes close on cost. After I pay to have it moved and hooked up gonna be in to it over 2k. Gonna take quite a few parts for it to be worthwhile, but im tired of paying obscene prices for tiny parts. Plus its gonna be fun to play with. Ill keep this thread updated with pics on my progress. Getting moved on the 18th.

Awesome! Another machinist :)

l-station1.jpg

Yes sir, hell of a deal. That's is a 3 phase if the motor is stock. You will a phase converter (go rotary) or a VFD to power it. 6061 ally is fine for RC and 3/8' thick bar @ 12" X 36" is about a 100 bucks, and plenty beefy. I use McMaster Carr and MSC, mostly. A good vise and parallels (as mentioned) is a must. T-slot hold down clamps, a good set of collets, decent digital caliper, 1-2-3 blocks, v-blocks, end mills, dead blow hammer, all pretty much required.

Happy to help, drop me a PM.

I believe its 3 phase, but honestly don't know. Im hiring riggers to move it, and a electrician to wire it up. Stuff like this is everywhere in CT. Machine shops were everywhere until the 90's. Alot of the old screw machines just get scrapped. No orders yet. Im no machinist. Luckily my old man is so he can school me.

Bear in mind if it's a 3 phase motor (which it probably is ) and you plan on running the machine in your residential garage, your residential incoming power is single phase and you will need to purchase a 3 phase converter.

Bear in mind if it's a 3 phase motor (which it probably is ) and you plan on running the machine in your residential garage, your residential incoming power is single phase and you will need to purchase a 3 phase converter.
Ya Im having a professional electrician hook it up for me. I don't mess with much past running cdx and outlets and switches when it comes to electricity.
Awesome! Another machinist :)

l-station1.jpg
Im no machinist by any measure. Luckily my old man has been one all his life so he can help me. He runs a shop of multi spindle screw machines, and has 50 years experience with these old Bridgeports.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks