My new toy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a ? For tthe machists. Is there a fixture that will spin 360° I can lock in the vise? Something you could use for milling spheres?
No. There are fixtures but they will take the place of your vice. It will cost you around $500 to $600, some trigonometry, and a fair amount of cussing to make a sphere, ball stud, or finial. There are two methods that I know. They each require multiple set-ups and at a minimum 2 days to complete if the goal is a sphere.

The first method, you'll need a boring head, a rotary table, and a 3 jaw chuck. Describing the set-up is difficult so, I will be brief and include some videos. Hopefully, you get the idea once you see the process it action. Mount the rotary 90 degrees to your table, trig out the required angle, set the boring head for diameter, and tilt the mill head. This method sucks because you'll have to tram the head again once finished.

The second method requires a boring head and a dividing head. Mount the diving head, set boring head, trig out an angle, and tilt dividing head.

Now, after the first set-up the best product you will have is a ball stud. Cut the ball away from your base material. For the second set-up all you need to do is turn the cutting tool 180 and set the boring head for the radius of the ball, then cut a socket into the base material. Epoxy the ball into the socket with the excess material pointing at about 45degrees from the center line of the material. Reset the boring head back to the initial set-up, go have some beers and start again the next day. Take light cuts to clean off the excess and hope that the epoxy holds until you have a sphere.

Milling starts at 5:40.

Good video showing everything including his math for finding the angle.

Here is a few pics of fav machine???
Payed about $30 USD on a auction ??
Its jewellers mill?View attachment 58002View attachment 58003View attachment 58004
Looks old, and heavy. Id bet it will still work in another 200 years.?
No. There are fixtures but they will take the place of your vice. It will cost you around $500 to $600, some trigonometry, and a fair amount of cussing to make a sphere, ball stud, or finial. There are two methods that I know. They each require multiple set-ups and at a minimum 2 days to complete if the goal is a sphere.

The first method, you'll need a boring head, a rotary table, and a 3 jaw chuck. Describing the set-up is difficult so, I will be brief and include some videos. Hopefully, you get the idea once you see the process it action. Mount the rotary 90 degrees to your table, trig out the required angle, set the boring head for diameter, and tilt the mill head. This method sucks because you'll have to tram the head again once finished.

The second method requires a boring head and a dividing head. Mount the diving head, set boring head, trig out an angle, and tilt dividing head.

Now, after the first set-up the best product you will have is a ball stud. Cut the ball away from your base material. For the second set-up all you need to do is turn the cutting tool 180 and set the boring head for the radius of the ball, then cut a socket into the base material. Epoxy the ball into the socket with the excess material pointing at about 45degrees from the center line of the material. Reset the boring head back to the initial set-up, go have some beers and start again the next day. Take light cuts to clean off the excess and hope that the epoxy holds until you have a sphere.

Milling starts at 5:40.

Good video showing everything including his math for finding the angle.
That rotary table is exactly what i was thinking. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, why on earth would you want to machine a sphere? I know that used to be one of the tests of how good of a machinist you are, but dam it's not an easy thing even with the proper equipment.

Give it time. You will be getting a lathe sooner or later. Kinda need both.
Already found a old one I can have, but is missing a bunch of parts. So still on the hunt. The next issue will be space. Im not living at my farm yet, and only have a 1 car garage where im at now. I think im gonna hold off until I get my quonset hut erected at the farm. Once thats up I can start seriously looking for more toys.

This is my kind of chat. I so want to get a lathe and mill. Then I can let my imagination run wild. Seeing some of those on YT make their own rc backets, exhaust, brakes, and 3D printing battery boxes, my DDM bill would reduce a little.
3D printer would be awsome. I don't own a computer though and struggle with the 2D printer at work. They're getting kinda cheap though so may be worth trying to figure out. If you could just scan existing parts and hit print id be in.

Saw a mobile app the other day that was a 3d scanner ?? maybe you don't need a pc?‍♂️
3D printer would be awsome. I don't own a computer though and struggle with the 2D printer at work. They're getting kinda cheap though so may be worth trying to figure out. If you could just scan existing parts and hit print id be in.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks