My project 5b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 5b section seems to be slow at the moment so let me update you all on what I accomplished tonight.

On my first 1\5 race day I ended up bending a front hinge pin in the final 2-3 laps In ?

So tonight I stripped the front end to replace both front hinge pins and a couple of other things that I knew needed addressing.

Please ignore my messy workshop ?

Damage to the lower arm as expected the bore and pills in the braces were warn

While replacing the front diff case as the screws were stripped in the front half before I bought the car. I noticed there was very little grease on the ring and pinion. So I greased this before I started the reassembly.

And the front end all built back up. I need to clean the shocks but this will have to be done later

Then on to the axle extenders as the GRP wheels have a 0 offset I need to bring the wheels out as much as possible.

Unfortunatly I came across a rather annoying problem. After only 1 race day, one of my new GRP wheels has stripped the hex out!!!?

So that’s another pair of wheels tyres and foams I need to order ?
I might try and steam the tyre off the rim and see if I can clean it up well enough to reuse on a new wheel first ?

And that’s enough for one nite. Fixed a few issues and found another lol
A strip down of the rear end will be next just to see if everything is ok and see if anything needs replacing.

Then Once I know all issues are sorted I will start to make my own heatshield set up to help with cooling.

Once I sort the niggles out I will then get a new body ordered up.

Thanks everyone for reading my project thread?

I will leave with a photo of it all now back together waiting for a new wheel lol

Last edited:
nice work dude...(y)well worn that arm...:oops:......did the wheel not come loose to strip like that???I have sum new grp`s here.....hope they don't strip a hex...:unsure:.

Nope the wheel nut was still tight

I think this was probably my fault as I used an o-ring to space the wheels from the hub as the wheel nuts I had were too shallow. I knew I was only going to have this setup for one race day as my axle extenders did not arrive in time.

Live and learn ?

Tonight’s little job was to start on the heat shielding.

First shield to make was for the carb. I wanted tho shield the carb from the booster pipe.

Took me two attempts ?

Then I managed to steam the tyre off the wheel with the damaged hex. Now need to remove as much of the remaining glue off the bead of the tyre and hopefully it will glue to a new wheel ok.?

Last edited:
Not an exciting update I must admit but I thought I would share for anyone with the same issue.

I managed to steam off the old tyre from the wheel with the stripped hex using a kitchen steamer.
I can now reuse the tyre and foam insert and then re-glue the tyre to a new wheel.

Total saving of about £40 for a new pair of tyres ?
77FE262D-35B6-4886-BEC4-9BB9EE7A2D12.jpeg

Good work ......although im not fond of the stock 5b rim/tire setup:unsure: and there no point in actually spending money on new ones(y) so what a save

I hear you, but over in the uk we mainly run on astro turf tracks and the tyre choice is limited to glue on tyres. I would love there to be a bead lock option so we could use 5t style wheels. that would really save a lot of money in the long run!

Hey Jimbo, overall are you better of with the used deal or would you have been better off with a brand new 5b at $749?

My cousin is debating a 5T used.

Why not try mad max maxi pins?
thanks. I have never heard of them! i will have a look into them. (y)

It looks like you can only buy them complete with wheels for £75 and i am unsure how they would perform. you can buy a complete set of MCD astro wheels and tyres for £90 I think so that is probably the best way to go.

Hey Jimbo, overall are you better of with the used deal or would you have been better off with a brand new 5b at $749?

My cousin is debating a 5T used.

Hi.
I bought my 5b complete with the OBR engine, pipe and servos for what I think was a very fair price.

If I was to compare new prices, built to the spec I have now I have probably saved between £500-£600 so I am comfortable with having to replace some parts along the way.(y)

Last edited:
Not a big update but yesterday I rebuilt the shocks for the first time in my ownership.

The orange o-rings were not fitted inside the shock caps like they should be so sorted that.

Also fitted the shock covers which I know will not last very long ?

Then did a little engine tuning as was having idling issues.

Now ready for the Losi large scale weekend later this month?

The red wheel nuts are annoying me but they were the only colour axle extenders available at the time ?
D9F0B9A6-9C0C-4D7D-95BE-1BD4FB299D45.jpeg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks