Need Help Choosing a Motorcycle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterAir

Lone Racer 🤠
I'm looking to get a bike come May. I want a sport bike but have very little experience driving one. Had a 636 yrs ago but never got it legal so didn't drive it much, had a title nightmare. Dumb kid move I made paying 5k thinking I could figure it out. Never the less I'm gonna go new this time. I have my eye on the new ninja 636 and the 400. I want the sound of the 636 but kinda nervous of the power. The 400 seems like it's perfect for a beginner but feel like I might get bored of it quick.

Reason for buying is gas prices. My truck gets around 15mpg and I'm figuring if I use a bike to commute I'll save the payment in gas every month while spending less miles on the truck.

Concerns for me are potholes and weather. Being in the NE especially post covid the roads are fekked. Giant potholes everywhere right now. Also being in NE I will only get 5-6months of riding outta it unless I can find some sort of cold weather protection.

I really really want the sound the 600's make. Love that high pitched revving they give when stretching um out. Is there a 400 that will give the same note?

OK, so i'm 54, and i've been riding M/C for almost 39 years so i'm going to give you my honest feedback. #1 don't buy a bike solely for the intent of "saving gas". Your going to spend upwards of $12K on a 600cc sport bike to save about $15 / week on gas ? Don't kid yourself, your never going to actually see a cost savings if you do this. #2) buy a motorcycle for the "passion" and enjoyable fresh air and freedom because that's what it's all about. Clearly you have almost no experience, and I admire your very cautious approach. Can't tell you how many stupid young and old people buy a high hp bike with minimal experience and crash the bike within the first year and end up with serious or fatal injuries. Not going to lie, it's dangerous out there on the road with a bike, other motorists in autos many time can't see you, and BAD things happen in an instant. This is especially true as I see you are from Long Island, NY which means you will be forced to drive in crazy aggressive city traffic conditions. I can't stress enough, PLEASE enroll FIRST in an MSF riders instructional course. Hands down the BEST money you will spend on your MC journey ! As for choosing a bike, skip a true "sport" bike for now. While they look "racer" cool, they are SO impractical for enjoyable long rides. Have a look at a more comfortable "traditional" chassis where your body is in more of an "upright" riding position. This body position is FAR more comfortable , and when your totally comfortable, your paying more attention to the road dangers than feeling riders fatigue. You also need to factor in liability insurance. Bikes are tiered by engine size, and as engine size increases so does your monthly insurance premiums. stick with a bike <600cc for the beast cost value. My son who is 25 , costs himself $1700 / year for his 2014 GSXR600 for full insurance . I think something like Kawa's Z400 would be a GREAT 1st bike for you.

Kawasaki Z400 ABS | Naked Motorcycle | Aggressive Z Styling

Once you have gained street experience then persue a full blown ZX type sport chassis. There's also advanced rider classes or "track days" where you can get your bike out on the race track. I did several of these at my local track and they are a TON of fun, and you tend to get your "need for speed" itch scratched, and with this you tend to ride more sedate on the street which means less speeding tickets, and cheaper insurance (and you stay out of jail).

Motorcycle Safety Foundation Home Page (msf-usa.org)

Get the 400CC. I don't care how much a person say they will respect the power, It's a crock. The 400 cc bike can kill you just as fast as the 636. All it takes is a moment of target fixation and your in trouble. The 636 is unforgiving. You want to learn . And to be honest I would suggest buying a used 400 not new that way if you drop it you won't be as worried about it. I've been riding for 35 yrs . And that doesn't make me and expert.
OK, so i'm 54, and i've been riding M/C for almost 39 years so i'm going to give you my honest feedback. #1 don't buy a bike solely for the intent of "saving gas". Your going to spend upwards of $12K on a 600cc sport bike to save about $15 / week on gas ? Don't kid yourself, your never going to actually see a cost savings if you do this. #2) buy a motorcycle for the "passion" and enjoyable fresh air and freedom because that's what it's all about. Clearly you have almost no experience, and I admire your very cautious approach. Can't tell you how many stupid young and old people buy a high hp bike with minimal experience and crash the bike within the first year and end up with serious or fatal injuries. Not going to lie, it's dangerous out there on the road with a bike, other motorists in autos many time can't see you, and BAD things happen in an instant. This is especially true as I see you are from Long Island, NY which means you will be forced to drive in crazy aggressive city traffic conditions. I can't stress enough, PLEASE enroll FIRST in an MSF riders instructional course. Hands down the BEST money you will spend on your MC journey ! As for choosing a bike, skip a true "sport" bike for now. While they look "racer" cool, they are SO impractical for enjoyable long rides. Have a look at a more comfortable "traditional" chassis where your body is in more of an "upright" riding position. This body position is FAR more comfortable , and when your totally comfortable, your paying more attention to the road dangers than feeling riders fatigue. You also need to factor in liability insurance. Bikes are tiered by engine size, and as engine size increases so does your monthly insurance premiums. stick with a bike <600cc for the beast cost value. My son who is 25 , costs himself $1700 / year for his 2014 GSXR600 for full insurance . I think something like Kawa's Z400 would be a GREAT 1st bike for you.

Kawasaki Z400 ABS | Naked Motorcycle | Aggressive Z Styling

Once you have gained street experience then persue a full blown ZX type sport chassis. There's also advanced rider classes or "track days" where you can get your bike out on the race track. I did several of these at my local track and they are a TON of fun, and you tend to get your "need for speed" itch scratched, and with this you tend to ride more sedate on the street which means less speeding tickets, and cheaper insurance (and you stay out of jail).

Motorcycle Safety Foundation Home Page (msf-usa.org)

You said it way better than I did. I took the MSF Experienced riders coarse on my GSXR 750 and learned a ton. Also took the California Superbike school . I'm a Member over on GSXR.com and those guys would eat noobs for lunch when they came on the forum asking for advice about buying a Sport bike or Superbike as their first bike. The noobs figured they would be welcomed with open arms . 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't listen to the more experienced riders. Most of the guys on that forum were racers and knew what they were talking about.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the time into your responses guys. I'm lucky in that I have been on a 636 and know it's too much for me. I just really really want that sound.

I have a MC school a town over and plan on making appointment tomorrow. $385 for 2 day course and another $195 for the license test. Still have to get my permit some time soon.

I am set on going new. I don't know what I don't know and really want to veer away from someone elses problems. Plus I'm poor right now and need to take a loan if I can get one. Just between gear and MC school I'm looking at 1k-$1500. The gas is most definitely my main driver here. I'm spending $15 a day traveling to work so providing a months long of good weather (yes I know this won't happen) I will save my payment in gas. I'm hesitant on the 400 even though I know it's the right move just because I do not want to be locked into something I'm not in love with. They don't sound great. Trying to find videos of different exhausts but haven't found anything comparable to the 636. Everything under sounds more throaty then that scream I'm looking for.

Just the price of the 400's is very appealing. Looking at $5300 for a new ninja 400 w/ abs.

Take the riders classes, pay attention, use common sense and find a bike that fits u and that your comfortable on....I started on a 1990 gsxr 750 then moved to a zx 1100 and finally got a street glide because I got tired of leaning over and carrying my lunch and whatever else in a backpack

You couldn't pay me enough to ride a bike on long island. Way to many asshats on the road here.
I've put consideration into this but figure fek it. Gonna get life insurance policy so the fam will at least get paid. I'm in good health so don't think it'll cost more than $25 a month. I don't have kids and don't plan on any either.

I've been riding for 15 years and almost lost my life on a bike. Better think about how your going to educate yourself properly and honestly a 600cc bike can kill you just as easy as a 1000cc. Remember its not you its everyone and everything around you that wants to get you.

Edit: I suggested to my neighbor to take the harley riding class as for 1 you learn on a 750cc bike and its got a speed governor on it so you won't kill yourself. 2. not sure what your state is like with giving MC license tests as here in nj you can no longer take the test with a 125cc scooter now you have to use a full size bike of your choice.
3. Gunna say your level off awareness and being able to react to situations faster than you can blink is part of survival while on the road. Like someone said above target fixation WILL kill you and keeping an eye on the road below the bike and whats going on around you at all times. 4. The rider course does NOT take you on the open road as its a huge risk to them and ive sat there with my neighbor when he took the course in a parking lot and it was down right scary with some of the participants.

It can be done and remember riding is not for everyone. My neighbor went from only riding a moped way back in the 80s to now riding an 800lb harley with a 117ci engine.

Good luck ?

Last edited:
I want the sound of the 600 but is there anything in the 400cc class that sounds similar? I really don't know many different makes and models just came across the 400 and liked the price/look.

No such animal... a 400 will sound like a 4 stroke dirtbike and I think its a single cylinder and it will probably just keep up with traffic. If your older a crotch rocket isn't a good choice as you will be sore and hurting from hunching over. I went from super moto and crotch rockets to harley and honestly I love it. Much more comfortable to ride and ride longer. Harley offers a program for new riders that if you buy a smaller bike to learn on then when your ready you can trade it in for what you paid for it toward a bigger bike. Im only 32 but my motorcycle accident feked me for life so I had to adjust lol

Supermoto's are extremely fun and for your riding environment it may be a good choice for you and your new to riding. I was going to buy one of these years ago its 701cc and is capable of 120mph . 12k price tag

https://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/en-us/models/supermoto/701-supermoto-2021.html

Last edited:
I bought a GSXR 600 and had that for my first road bike. Took the safety classes and road with many very advanced riders. Built the bike up to my liking and had fun with it. After a couple years I felt myself losing my "respectful fear" of the bike and started riding like an idiot. I was a member of the GSXR forum and as Coop said they are pretty rough on noobs for sure. In the course of about 10 days I almost got hit twice. One time was a guy who just didnt see me. Dude actually stopped and apologized, said he heard me and thats what stopped him from coming over in my lane. I had a ridiculously loud Two Brothers shorty pipe on it lol...the other was some high school girl that changed lanes while doing make up driving. She ALMOST got me. I was quick enough to be able to get the bike into the center turn lane and thank heavens there was no one in it. Had I tried to brake at the distance and speed I was at, probably would have laid it down. Pulled into my driveway and my daughter was outside waiting for me. The kids could always hear me coming and would wait for me outside. Pulling in and seeing her, about 7 years old at the time, waiting with a big smile and a huge hug for her dad...bike went up for sale the next day. I decided maybe when I am older in life I will grab a Harley, after kids are grown, and successful in life. I just felt FOR ME I was done riding for a while. Oh and those incidents above don't even cover the countless times someone makes a left right in front of you or feels the need to stop at a red light basicly on your back tire...smh....

I have pictures of what happened to me but are a bit graphic for public view. Long story short 3 broken ribs,punctured lung, left foot almost amputated and broken,right arm broken,radial nerve stretched couldn't use my right hand, major brain trauma, coma for 4 days ,medivac couldn't walk for over a year was in a wheel chair.

Sry to hear that Rep. Those stories is why I'm gonna go with a 400cc. Just need to find one I like the sound of, or at least a pipe that will help.

I want the sound of the 600 but is there anything in the 400cc class that sounds similar? I really don't know many different makes and models just came across the 400 and liked the price/look.
You are an idiot if you want a bike just because of the sound. Good luck You'll need it. Glad to hear your thinking 400. Here's a question for you. Are you buying the bike to Impress your friends or because you really want one. I know you said you're hoping it will save you money on gas. It won't as mentioned unless you plan on riding rain or shine. Some thing to think about if you're going to ride in the rain add the cost of a rainsuit to your gear. they aren't cheap.

Hope your going to get a a good helmet. A good helmet is in the 7 to 800 dollar range. Also a good leather jacket is in the 400+ range. Gloves 40 to 100 plus. Boots another 100 plus. If your getting a new bike you will have to carry full coverage insurance. And that's not cheap as mentioned .

Riding motorcycles is a hobby just like our RC's it's just a lot more expensive .

Last edited:
You are an idiot if you want a bike just because of the sound. Good luck You'll need it. Glad to hear your thinking 400. Here's a question for you. Are you buying the bike to Impress your friends or because you really want one. I know you said you're hoping it will save you money on gas. It won't as mentioned unless you plan on riding rain or shine. Some thing to think about if you're going to ride in the rain add the cost of a rainsuit to your gear. they aren't cheap.

Hope your going to get a a good helmet. A good helmet is in the 7 to 800 dollar range. Also a good leather jacket is in the 400+ range. Gloves 40 to 100 plus. Boots another 100 plus. If your getting a new bike you will have to carry full coverage insurance. And that's not cheap as mentioned .

Riding motorcycles is a hobby just like our RC's it's just a lot more expensive .

I'm an idiot cause I want a certain sound? Please dude. If you can't read I mentioned I'm aware what gear is needed. Leave your useless comments at the door. I assume the guys riding scooters are hobbyists as well. Appreciate you thinking your helping but I don't need your snyde comments. BTW insurance is $56 a month for me and don't see that as a big expense. Maybe in bum fook upstate that's a lot of money?

I'm an idiot cause I want a certain sound? Please dude. If you can't read I mentioned I'm aware what gear is needed. Leave your useless comments at the door. I assume the guys riding scooters are hobbyists as well. Appreciate you thinking your helping but I don't need your snyde comments. BTW insurance is $56 a month for me and don't see that as a big expense. Maybe in bum fook upstate that's a lot of money?
As long as you always maintain a "DEFENSIVE" mentality towards street riding you will have far less risk of crashing. You start gaining the "Ricky Racer" attitude on the street you WILL eventually go down, now maybe it will be your own fault from acting like a $hitehead , or it could be totally another motorists' fault in an auto. I've only been down once and that was wayyy back when I was 19 and a novice, totally my own fault as I low sided in a sweeping corner from not looking "inside" the corner, I panic focused on the outside of the corner and that's exactly where I went. Over the years I've had plenty if very close calls on a bike. I'm going to share a phrase that was told to me back many years ago racing motocross and it really applies to anytime you get on a motorcycle and that's "Keep your head up look ahead, and think ahead" . I literally run this thought through my brain every time I go for a ride. I like to think it keeps me safe so I can ride another day...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks