Need soldering iron suggestions please

1Coopgt

Ya I know u weren't blowing smoke up ur ass. I'm tryna get as much info as I can get. I posted my last post to make sure I was getting the right stuff. That's why I said correct me, didn't mean to offend anyone
No biggy no offence taken . As I was typing that reply it made me think . No one on here knows me from Adam so really why should some one take my advice over someone else's . As for the solder SN63/37 or SN60/40 are both fine. One has a bit more lead than the other.. Both are rosin core solders . Neither is lead free which makes them easy for the hobbiest to work with . If you haven't done soldering before I would suggest finding some wire and practice soldering the wires together . Watch a few vids on you tube . The most agravating part may be the sleeve on the wire pulling away from the soldering tip(melting) . I use to build /make cable harnesses . I have to much experience at it and it can be a pain in the ass.

Thread starter #62

Z.hb71

No biggy no offence taken . As I was typing that reply it made me think . No one on here knows me from Adam so really why should some one take my advice over someone else's . As for the solder SN63/37 or SN60/40 are both fine. One has a bit more lead than the other.. Both are rosin core solders . Neither is lead free which makes them easy for the hobbiest to work with . If you haven't done soldering before I would suggest finding some wire and practice soldering the wires together . Watch a few vids on you tube . The most agravating part may be the sleeve on the wire pulling away from the soldering tip(melting) . I use to build /make cable harnesses . I have to much experience at it and it can be a pain in the ass.
I do have a little bit of experience, soldered pretty badly cuz the iron didn't get hot enough. So I'll practice before I go to the actual part. I'm taking your advice because most others agree with it. 👍Thx

1Coopgt

You need to add a zero .032" . If you go thinner it will take you forever to solder the wires together. Hell the stuff we use now at work is .015 and .020 , these are for surface mount boards. For wiring we use ,031 or so.

dougstar

It means I wasn't blowing smoke up your ass yesterday with the info I gave you . I have 30 plus years as an Assembler and Manufacturing eng. In the electronic industry . Everything I suggested is from personal experience like the info that others have given you. I don't expect anyone to no this because you folks don't know me personally. And that's ok.
Great now we know who to ask about soldering(y)

1Coopgt

Lol. We used to use something similar at work. You can get them at most better hardware stores and auto parts places.
Yup I forgot all about them. I saved to my favorites in Amazon so I can order them . I have a little battery operated soldering Iron I bought from Radio shack years ago . It works but its not the greatest . If I don't have to buy a soldering iron I will go that root .