Need soldering iron suggestions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok sorry for the delay in these pics. I'll try not to confuse you too much.... any way this is most of the stuff I use for my rc hobby. So top down first liquid flux I've ever used it's ok. Kinder of messy but leaves no residue.for some reason I didn't get these in order #2 back side of the Novak solder #3 the flux pen I currently use(makes the least mess)#4 front side of the Novak solder.#5 tip cleaner /thinner #6my weller solder station. I don't think they make this model anymore #7-8 progressive RC solder helper. It's great holds all kinds of things. Makes doing connectors a snap.#9 is the solder pen that goes to the weller station. I have a stand with a steel wool type tip cleaner. Cant for the life of me remember where I have my little 40w solder pen... hope this helps a bit.(mind you this has taken years to accumulate)

Your in Europe aren't you? Lead free solders and No Clean flux. The no clean flux is why you don't have a lot of residue . Plus it makes it easier to solder the Silver solder you're using .You need a higher heat soldering iron for the solder your using ( just an observation) higher silver content. Makes for some ugly solder joints compared to SN63/37 solder (Dull color) They aren't widely used I have a feeling by hobbiest in the States (making assumsions). We use them in Manufacturing here due to selling products in Europe and other places over sea's and more and more everyone want's to lower the lead content .

Nice setup. I think I'm going to go with the hobbico pencil 40w iron for now, is the radio shack solder good? I can't find Novak and likely will b over priced, wanna know for future reference, cuz nobody wants to wait a weak for solder
It's good stuff I have the 0.22" and 0.32" size the 0.32" should work just fine.

Your in Europe aren't you? Lead free solders and No Clean flux. The no clean flux is why you don't have a lot of residue . Plus it makes it easier to solder the Silver solder you're using .You need a higher heat soldering iron for the solder your using ( just an observation) higher silver content. Makes for some ugly solder joints compared to SN63/37 solder (Dull color) They aren't widely used I have a feeling by hobbiest in the States (making assumsions). We use them in Manufacturing here due to selling products in Europe and other places over sea's and more and more everyone want's to lower the lead content .
Nope i live in PA. I used to re build run boxes for older Volvo engines. They wanted a lead free silver bearing solder. The Novak stuff fit the bill. Residue free flux was also needed. I got so used to using it pluse the added bonus of better continuity over standard solder, I just ran with it.

@1Coopgt how should I clean the tip?
Wet sponge or get one of those steel wool pads thing for it. This is what my stand looks like.

Attachments

• 20181204_204851.jpg
    20181204_204851.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3
It's good stuff I have the 0.22" and 0.32" size the 0.32" should work just fine.

Nope i live in PA. I used to re build run boxes for older Volvo engines. They wanted a lead free silver bearing solder. The Novak stuff fit the bill. Residue free flux was also needed. I got so used to using it pluse the added bonus of better continuity over standard solder, I just ran with it.

Wet sponge or get one of those steel wool pads thing for it. This is what my stand looks like.
So like when Im done soldering before I turn it off just wipe the tip on a wet sponge?

I use Kester Solder 60/40 in .031" it is small enough to solder small wires and easy to stack and tin larger wires with. it flows great and has excellent soldering strength. I have used the cheap Weller iron in the past, actually have 2 that don't get used because they just suck. The Hobbico that I listed is a great iron for the price. It will solder 10ga wires and it will solder 22awg wires, gotta be fast on the smaller wires. When you actually go to solder your wires make sure you follow these steps and you will get a solid strong bond every time.

1) Clean your connections
2) Tin your connections (contact and wires)
3) Heat your connection not the Solder
4) Tin your iron tip always
5) keep your tip clean with a damp sponge
6) place your solder on the wire or connector your are heating
7) when removing your iron whip it away to get a clean break
8) if your soldered joint is clean and shinny then you have done it right, if its dull and pitted then you have contaminents in the solder and it is a weaker joint

I use Kester Solder 60/40 in .031" it is small enough to solder small wires and easy to stack and tin larger wires with. it flows great and has excellent soldering strength. I have used the cheap Weller iron in the past, actually have 2 that don't get used because they just suck. The Hobbico that I listed is a great iron for the price. It will solder 10ga wires and it will solder 22awg wires, gotta be fast on the smaller wires. When you actually go to solder your wires make sure you follow these steps and you will get a solid strong bond every time.

1) Clean your connections
2) Tin your connections (contact and wires)
3) Heat your connection not the Solder
4) Tin your iron tip always
5) keep your tip clean with a damp sponge
6) place your solder on the wire or connector your are heating
7) when removing your iron whip it away to get a clean break
8) if your soldered joint is clean and shinny then you have done it right, if its dull and pitted then you have contaminents in the solder and it is a weaker joint
thanks, i will do that, how do i clean the connections? with flux?

I just rubbing alcohol usually just to make sure there is not dirt or grease in the joints. Also for your solder many will tell you to use lead free but the 60/40 rosin core wire is by far the easiest to work with. I don't know about you but I don't usually make it a point to inhale my soldering smoke so I am not worried about the lead plus is makes some really crappy joints.

I just rubbing alcohol usually just to make sure there is not dirt or grease in the joints. Also for your solder many will tell you to use lead free but the 60/40 rosin core wire is by far the easiest to work with. I don't know about you but I don't usually make it a point to inhale my soldering smoke so I am not worried about the lead plus is makes some really crappy joints.

Last edited:
whats the 60/40 solder u use? i did read everywere that leaded solder gives better joints so imma use that cuz its on my ignition so if it breaks that could cuase a fire. oh also does the hobbico soldering iron come with a pointy tip or a flat tip?

60/40 rosin core can be had about anywhere. Its kinds the main stay for electrical solder work. You local hardware store should carry it, or a radio shack. I agree with frenimy it is very easy to solder with.

ok so guys corrct me if need be. i wanna get, the hobbico soldering iron (for now), 60/40 solder, helping hands, flux, dielectric grease, and heatshring. i already have the sponge, i got steel wool to wipe the tip off. anything else i should get?
ok so guys corrct me if need be. i wanna get, the hobbico soldering iron (for now), 60/40 solder, helping hands, flux, dielectric grease, and heatshring. i already have the sponge, i got steel wool to wipe the tip off. anything else i should get?
60/40 rosin core can be had about anywhere. Its kinds the main stay for electrical solder work. You local hardware store should carry it, or a radio shack. I agree with frenimy it is very easy to solder with.
Clean the tip on a damp sponge then add fresh solder to the tip . Then turn off . You want solder on the tip. Keeps them from oxidizing.

Last edited:
Do what you want . 30 + years in the electronics industry doesn't mean anything anymore I guess. ;) Frenimy is not wrong with his info .
What does "30 + years in the electronics industry doesn't mean anything anymore I guess" mean? I don't exactly know what I want to get cuz I don't know anything about electronics lol.

What does "30 + years in the electronics industry doesn't mean anything anymore I guess" mean? I don't exactly know what I want to get cuz I don't know anything about electronics lol.

It means I wasn't blowing smoke up your ass yesterday with the info I gave you . I have 30 plus years as an Assembler and Manufacturing eng. In the electronic industry . Everything I suggested is from personal experience like the info that others have given you. I don't expect anyone to no this because you folks don't know me personally. And that's ok.

It means I wasn't blowing smoke up your ass yesterday with the info I gave you . I have 30 plus years as an Assembler and Manufacturing eng. In the electronic industry . Everything I suggested is from personal experience like the info that others have given you. I don't expect anyone to no this because you folks don't know me personally. And that's ok.
Ya I know u weren't blowing smoke up my ass, nor did I think or say cuz I'm not the one to judge that cuz I'm dumb when it comes to electronics. I'm just tryna get as much info as I can get. I posted my last post to make sure I was getting the right stuff. That's why I said correct me, didn't mean to offend anyone or get beef with anyone

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks