RickDizzle's Raminator Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This I understand. TI screws are expensive and you can't just buy 1 or 2 as needed. A hardened screw you would need to tap all the way through the universal joinf so you could thread the screw in . If you didn't do that the universal joint would wear the thread on the screw off and probably damage both then you would end up replacing the joint too. Hopefully the red loctite is enough.
Got it ?

Good call out gentlemen! I actually was thinking along the lines of what Z suggested today..but was nervous about the thing shearing off or the threads getting all wonky inside and then having play.
On a side note...very impressed with Primal's customer support. They emailed me back and said that it shouldn't have failed but have had a few that were pressed in and were a tad loose. They, without being asked, offered to send me a whole new drive shaft for the rear and recommended I use some form of adhesive to secure the front one since it was still pretty tight. I asked if they could provide us dimensions for the silver pin so I can pass them along to Haric. Have not heard back yet. I think the fix truly is, a proper fitting hardened steel pin, a tad longer on each end with slots and c-clips. Then we will be solid. But huge kuddos to Primal for dropping me a new drive shaft.
Tomorrow will be wrapping servo wires and redoing my vent!

Got a solid afternoon of running in today! The pins are holding up great so far after red loctite and over 24 hours of cure time. Thing handles like a real monster truck. I am VERY happy with my suspension set up at this time. Truck easily gets air even off of my sloped entry to my driveway and lands great!

Now on to tuning.
I am just about through my first gallon. I had this gallon mixed 24:1. All I have done so far is close the high speed down approximately 3/4 turn. It still smoking like a son of a gun and spitting oil. So much so, had a few drops of oil coming from where the head meets the cylinder. No starting issues or anything, fires first pull! Plan to wrap up this last lil bit of mixed fuel I have left, then will be reducing my mixture down. Will probably go 40:1. I keep hearing run 50:1 w the Dominator, but makes me nervous.

So the couple questions I have.
1.Should I go ahead and swap to a fresh plug when I switch to the lesser mix?
2. Any good tips on tuning this two needle carb, I have not but WILL search on the forum for tuning tips.
3. What should I watch for as I tune, things to be aware of that could cause issues? I wanna keep the beast a tad on the rich side for longevity. Right now it feels like its super slow from a stop then it kicks in and then feels like its bogging. I have NOT touched low speed as I know I should have high speed close first.

Only pic I took today, was to busy driving having fun. A throw back to what got my hooked into RC monster trucks with the beast in background!
20201031_185506.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I run 40 to 1 in everything. Jmo. The needles kinda go hand in hand, make it idle get it warm. Set the high speed needle to where you want it, then set the low speed needle and adjust the idle speed. Going off smoke is useless (again my opinion) no reason to change the plug out, a good plug is a good plug. I've very much enjoyed watching your build. Well done ??

I run 40 to 1 in everything. Jmo. The needles kinda go hand in hand, make it idle get it warm. Set the high speed needle to where you want it, then set the low speed needle and adjust the idle speed. Going off smoke is useless (again my opinion) no reason to change the plug out, a good plug is a good plug. I've very much enjoyed watching your build. Well done ??
Many thanks Sean! I am pretty blessed to have found this awesome place and happy to be a part of it. I will be updating my thread continuously as I run the truck, identify issues and or do mods to it. I did this evening get my steering servos cleaned up with expandable wire wrap. Ill get some pics up tomorrow. Really cleaned up the look up front imo.
Im sure I will have questions on tuning as I have done tons of nitro but never gas 2 cycle engines. So bear with me fellas! Just don't wanna ruin this engine.

Today I fixed the vent tube issue. The way I installed it looked great but ended up getting fuel stuck in the line due to the low loop. To fix it, I took a nice brass 45° fitting. I then cut a nice short piece of vent line and placed it on connecting it into the vent line in my grommet. I then cut down my vent line on the vent side itself and slid it on. Trick here is to use a heat gun on low heat and then you can slide the fitting onto the vent line much easier. I think it still looks pretty good, is much more functional and is nice and sturdy!
20201101_220939.jpg

20201101_220956.jpg

Also a couple pics of the servo wires cleaned up and wrapped.

20201101_221045.jpg

20201101_221032.jpg

Didn't get to run it today to work on tuning...last day of my vacation. ?‍♂️? So I had some stuff to do around the house. My next day off I will get her tuned...?

Your pin issues on the driveshafts, do they sit flush on either side of the pin or are they ever so slightly short?
If slightly short could you peen over the holes so that the pin cant slide out? Could also do the same to the pins if they are slightly long mushrooming the end slightly.
That way your not relying on adhesive that could fail due to heat. Just a thought and possibly worth trying if Primal are sending out new shafts.

Btw loving the build, would love a Raminator.

Primal reached out yesterday. They sent me a new drive shaft and a new body washer for the one I lost. I have been in RC for many years and I tell you Primal is legit! Amazing quality products, top notch service and standing behind their products! Very impressed. Feels good to do business with a company that cares about its customers. They also said they did not have the size of that pin readily available, but are working on getting it to us. As soon as I get the pins dimensions, I will share for sure!

Great job on the vent line and gas lines , could you send me part numbers for those gizmoes , the line cradle , the vent and fittings , and where did u get that heat shrink that big ? I just got done with my vekta5 teardown , now it's the x Max , then the ram , I figger these will keep me busy till the RC max is compleated for shipping , thanx for the assistance ?

Alright to consolidate and update from other threads. Few things for the Raminator identified once I started really running and breaking it in. First check your engine head bolts, header to engine bolts and your header to pipe connection. I could not get my top end to tune. It was all over the place. Sean recommended I check over these connections and sure enough, all were not where they should have been. Two head bolts pretty darn loose, header to engine I was easily able to apply another 1/4 to 1/3 turn and snug it up and my exhaust clamp was a tad loose. Once all this was snugged up and I ran it, wow what a difference. I clearly had issues before. Was able to tune my top end and the truck pulls nice through all RPMs and has much more torque. Before it would pull nicely through my low and mid end, then just fall flat. I had drips of oil visible just from heat cycling this engine at break in, but was advised that I was running way too much oil at 24:1 for break in and it was just seeping. This was actually the head bolts not being tight. Also the visible oil I was seeing on the inside of the frame rail was from my header to pipe coupler not being tight. All this combined made tuning this 2 stroke impossible. Especially for a noob like me.
Short of these issues I am back running strong. One thing I will advise as well, take apart ALL of your steering links where they bolt to each other and to the arms. I have had multiple screws work themselves loose. Today almost lost a screw and specialized washer. I had checked all these during initial build, but I should have disassembled them and loctited each of them with some red loctite. So next day off, I will be doing this and allowing plenty of cure time. Short of these few learning curves...truck is an absolute blast to run. It easily gets air of small obstacles, lands great and handles amazing. Really truly happy with my current shock/suspension set up. Used my GPS on the truck too. Getting consistent top speed of 18mph with the current tune. May not sound fast...but for an 80 pound monster truck that stops and turns on a dime...it is great for me for the time being.

Been super busy with work so have done very little with the Raminator as of late. Got some decals to add to the scale appearance of sponsor decals on the lower chassis.
Link to the topic on them here:
https://www.largescaleforums.com/threads/in-the-details-decal-question.26101/#post-305767

Here are pics for my build thread. ?
20201222_172438.jpg
20201222_172457.jpg
20201222_172527.jpg

Next will be the addition of the CNC milled QS aluminum enclosed wheel nuts my son got me for Christmas when they arrive (US Mail is super slow right now. Post Christmas, I hope to pick up the JS Performance steering links and RCMax steering link arms along with the JS Performance sway bar links. ?

Finally had some time this afternoon to work on the beast. Mrs. Dizzle got me all my JS Performance steering links and sway bar links along with the RC Max steering arms for Christmas. So today I got down on installing the sway bar links!
20210106_181454.jpg

Comparison of the stock vs the super heavy duty JS Performance set. They weigh about the same as stock which I thought was pretty cool.
20210106_181511.jpg
20210106_181529.jpg

They come with all the new hardware you will need to mount up and really add to the look of the truck in my opinion. Much beefier.
20210106_181701.jpg
20210106_181738.jpg
20210106_181724.jpg

Also wanted to showcase the wheel nuts my son got me. These look way better then stock, are super light, and enclosed so dirt won't get into the hubs.
20210106_181546.jpg

New on left, stock on right.
20210106_181624.jpg

Another cool thing...they have much more surface bite and contact on the wheel vs the stock. The stock is placed on top of the aftermarket.
20210106_181647.jpg

Hope to swap out my steering to the upgraded steering on my next day off. The new steering will take out the slop from the plastic bushing in the stock arms. Ill highlight that when I do the install. Have a great rest of the week everyone!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks