RickDizzle's Raminator Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I received a package with 7 pounds of Primal aluminum goodness! Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up the rear steer kit.
20210913_172845.jpg

Here is the kit with the parts laid out. Just like the actual truck all really nice quality!
20210913_172808.jpg

To ensure it matches the front exactly, will be running all the JS Performance and Taylor RC upgrades as well on the rear steer.
20210910_130254.jpg

The rear steer kit comes with no instructions, but assembles just like the front axle, so you can refer to the manual and build it right off of that. I will probably start this build on Wednesday. I am awaiting some Fast Eddy Bearings and the brass bushings for diff to drive shaft where the bearings sit. Got that idea from @John Parks . It is much easier to open the axle housing and install the bushing with the steering not on yet. So going to knock that out prior to the steering install. More to come!

Last edited:
O. M. G. !! That's a great project ! I'm just into other stuff right now , I see myself doing that , I'm also gunna try the stock engine with the carb upgrade , just for something different than tearing earth every touch of the throttle for crzp sakes and it wheelies Everytime I take off, Wich is awesome but I'm gunna try the stock one for a while

O. M. G. !! That's a great project ! I'm just into other stuff right now , I see myself doing that , I'm also gunna try the stock engine with the carb upgrade , just for something different than tearing earth every touch of the throttle for crzp sakes and it wheelies Everytime I take off, Wich is awesome but I'm gunna try the stock one for a while
Which carb you looking at? I am running a Bartolone V2 stack and the 2 needle "upgraded" carb myself. Wanted to do all I could to help this stock engine.

Ya , that's exactly what I was gunna do , I already have the carberator
Be sure you pull off your stock choke too while your at it.

On another note...if anyone else gets this rear steer kit...please check your Y plug that comes with the kit. It comes with 2. I figured tonight I would mess with the 7PXR and programming to get that knocked out. Plugged in the Y plug and the wires immediately got hot..like crazy. I yanked it as fast as I could to find the darn thing was pinned incorrectly from the factory...take a look.
20210913_183539.jpg

20210913_183548.jpg

I switched to the other that was pinned correct and didnt see any issues. Praying I didnt smoke anything or cause any lasting issues. I already emailed Primal w pics just incase it caused any damage to these brand new servos. You fellas think I will be ok since it appears to not have any issues now?

Today I received a package with 7 pounds of Primal aluminum goodness! Finally pulled the trigger and ordered up the rear steer kit.
View attachment 77878

Here is the kit with the parts laid out. Just like the actual truck all really nice quality!
View attachment 77879

To ensure it matches the front exactly, will be running all the JS Performance and Taylor RC upgrades as well on the rear steer.
View attachment 77880

The rear steer kit comes with no instructions, but assembles just like the front axle, so you can refer to the manual and build it right off of that. I will probably start this build on Wednesday. I am awaiting some Fast Eddy Bearings and the brass bushings for diff to drive shaft where the bearings sit. Got that idea from @John Parks . It is much easier to open the axle housing and install the bushing with the steering not on yet. So going to knock that out prior to the steering install. More to come!
Man that's a lot of parts should keep you busy for a while.

I had to reach out to Primal and requested new servos. Hopefully they make me whole...as I would have never thought I would have had to check for proper pinning of a dang Y connector they supplied. After I walked away and came back....wasn't super happy...lol...One servo smells BAD of electrical burn and the other smells a bit too. I don't want one shorting and then causing me larger issues. I also ordered a new Futaba receiver as I don't want to risk this one on this expensive rig. I may be tripping but I swear a small bit of smoke came from the Rx. I may just send this RX in to get checked while I run the new one.

Got down today on starting to service the axle prior to the rear steer install. Here is the axle out and naked lol.
20210915_132329.jpg

If and when you service the axles...use heat to remove the bolts holding the axle halves together. They were heavily loctited in place and as my luck even with heat..snapped a head off. An hour later...got it out and moving on to the diff. I cleaned the axle "pumpkin" really good and got my fast Eddys grease ready. Cleaned up the diff itself and was like wow three of the screws on the diff are really loose. Well turns out, one was loose the other 2 were snapped off inside the diff and only being held by a couple threads.
20210915_151041.jpg
20210915_151102.jpg
Thank heavens these never backed out and ate up my gears in the axle. The way they are broke off so deep and as that they are in aluminum, tried to save the diff and get them out to no win. Just messing up the holes on the diff itself. Also found it interesting the diff was basically empty with nothing inside...its wet as if it had diff grease/oil in it. I bet its due to the diff not being sealed due to the broken screws and leaking out. So at a stopping point for now. Really sucks. But glad I found this issue before they came loose and ate up my axle gears! More to come down the road fellas!

Last edited:
Lucky catch their. That's a big issue with them, seen so many shread apart. Many are grinding the diffs out to make room for a nut on the backside and doing that way as it seems even threadlock doesn't help

Intresting. Is the diff cup thick enough to grind it out enough for a nut? Im assuming they just run a longer screw and then use red loctite or a nylon lock nut? For sure going to open up the front axle after I get the rear back together. It was nuts as these screws were snapped about half way down in the threaded hole in the diff cup.

No crap! Great idea. I see that diff cup has the weird gear teeth marks on it like mine too lol! Will the extra weight and the fact that each side might not be ground the exact same cause weird vibrations or issues there you think from being out of balance?

What weight diff oil are folks running in these?...manual says 20k. Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
No crap! Great idea. I see that diff cup has the weird gear teeth marks on it like mine too lol! Will the extra weight and the fact that each side might not be ground the exact same cause weird vibrations or issues there you think from being out of balance?

What weight diff oil are folks running in these?...manual says 20k. Any other recommendations?

No, you shouldn't have vibration issues unless it's way off. Have seen many do this eith no issues so far. Next time mines apart I'll be doing it as well. 20k seems fine honestly but could always experiment with others

Ok so last couple days put some work in. I did like @John Parks suggested and drilled out the holes in the diff case. Used 11/64 bit and drilled out each hole. Then carefully ground down the outer case of the diff for the four nylon lock nuts. I fully cleaned out the diff, refilled it with 20k diff oil and reassembled it. I then put it back in and did the brass bushing mod as I originally intended to do. Nicely coated the gears with Fast Eddys and sealed it up.
20210916_125608.jpg
20210917_184923.jpg

One thing I found with this rear steer kit is it appears they substituted some of the button head style screws for socket cap style. Also was missing a couple screws. 4 total. As being as I am super OCD, I ran to my local Ace Hardware and picked up all the hardware to ensure it all matched the front and the couple I was missing. Got the bulk of the rear steer done. I ended up having an issue with the servo saver assembly as it is aluminum. I didnt put on the required O-ring as it was missing, and I missed it. So after assembling, I went back to disassemble so I could throw an o-ring on...horrible idea. It bound up and stripped. 🤦‍♂️
20210918_164124.jpg
I also found that I must have smacked my rear disc brake on a rock while bashing as my brake disk is bent thus causing bad wear on my pads lol. Then to top off my testing of patience, as I was installing the rear end, one of the shock shafts pulled out. The screw holding the piston to the shaft backed out and it pulled right out. So I am going to rebuild all 8 shocks. Lastly, the shock ends that support the ball link are threaded plastic. Couple are backing out and I found a cracked one. So going to replace them as well as needed. This was going to be my winter rebuild but doing it now for sake of sanity and knowing its done right. Once I get it back together fully, do a few fun runs with the new rear steer, going to rebuild the front diff with the diff mod and brass spacer.
So until my next Primal order arrives...this is how she sits now. 😁
20210918_163952.jpg
20210918_164008.jpg
20210918_163939.jpg

On a solid note, got the 7PXR all programmed up for 4ws, wire covered with expandable wire cover all the servo wires and got every cleaned up and nice to look stock. New servos are working great on the new receiver. Just need the servo saver so I can tie up the last few links of the steering.
🏁🏁🏁🏁

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks