Rippers KM Blade build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRipper

Just picked up the KM Blade. I'll be going over what I replace, what breaks,adjustments, and all around process of what I'd eventually like this buggy to be.

Out of the box brand spanking new and I find rear driver side carrier broken.

Out of the box I'm missing a bead lock ring lol..

I half expected some things to be messed up. I'll be ordering those parts tonight.

The list:

Some aluminum carriers:
either a full set for all 4 corners or just rears, haven't decided yet.

Some black or grey bead lock rings:
Possibly a set of rims.

Some diff and shock oil:
Still looking into what I want to use, and what others are using.

Parts that are already on the way:
Uber viper tires for the rear.
2inch spacers for the rear.
V1 DDM Dominator pipe.
6.6v life battery. "For now, plan to go 7 4v lipo"

Thinking about going with a grey for the paint on the cage panels. But still looking into hydro dipping.

Doing a cpl heat cycles today. It's raining and will continue to rain for another day..

Any thoughts or ideas or comments are welcome. I'm just getting back into the hobby. This is the 3rd 1/5 scale I've ever owned. I currently just picked up a used hpi baja 5b too. I hope to make a build thread on that later on.
I forgot I have a extra rear set of rims with bald tires. Looks like they're offset compared to the stock KM Blades. Possibly might use these for the rear. Possibly for the front. That offset wouldnt hurt in the front and extensions in the back. Until I work up enough cash to buy a set of extended aluminum a arms. I'm thinking outloud lol..

Attachments

• 20200422_154016.jpg
    20200422_154016.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200422_142114.jpg
    20200422_142114.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200422_151218.jpg
    20200422_151218.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200422_143731.jpg
    20200422_143731.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200422_144701.jpg
    20200422_144701.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200422_144732.jpg
    20200422_144732.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200422_195025.jpg
    20200422_195025.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
What paint job y gonna do??‍♂️
I was just watching these hydro dipping videos. I'm real tempted to try it. These blade panels wouldnt be to hard. They are rather flat.
I'm thinking gun metal grey/black maybe some white. The grey and black I think would look nice with all the orange the blade has.

Last edited:
Where about in the world are you based? If your local to me I have bead lock rings you could have and also a rear carrier to get you away until parts arrive.
I run the 6.6v LiFe battery, it's an improvement over NiMh and a little safer than LiPo too, so i'm told.

Where about in the world are you based? If your local to me I have bead lock rings you could have and also a rear carrier to get you away until parts arrive.
I run the 6.6v LiFe battery, it's an improvement over NiMh and a little safer than LiPo too, so i'm told.
I'm in michigan outside of jackson area.

I already pulled the carrier from the hpi 5b I have. And stole a bead lock ring off a old set of wheels I have that came extra with the used hpi 5b. I'm good to go. But thanks. I'm always down for meeting up with someone to run some Rc tho.

Attachments

• 20200423_122051.jpg
    20200423_122051.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1
I'm in michigan outside of jackson area.

I already pulled the carrier from the hpi 5b I have. And stole a bead lock ring off a old set of wheels I have that came extra with the used hpi 5b. I'm good to go. But thanks. I'm always down for meeting up with someone to run some Rc tho.

Looks like your a couple thousand miles away from me anyways lol. Least you can rob parts off another RC for now for running in.

The seller has emailed me back. He is sending the missing/broken parts. ?
Yeah I got lucky picking up this used hpi 5b. It's like a junk yard over here atm lol
The DDM Dominator pipe and uber tires will be here tomorrow!

Last edited:
My wife recorded a short vid of the Blade. I'll get it uploaded to YT. This was 3rd tank. I still haven't completely dialed it in. It kept sprinkling on and off. It would open up to a higher rev if I let off the throttle and then got back on it. Its starving for fuel in the mid. Tomorrow i get the DDM Pipe. Once i have that installed and new tires on the rear I'll start cracking down on dialing it in.

For the first time having it out:

I'm surprised how well the steering turns for a stock servo and nimh battery.

At one point I think I felt it get out of range. I'm not positive. Need to check that out next run. Ordering killer bee tonight.

I think I could feel the clutch grabbing softer after it warmed up. I wouldnt doubt it's in need of a vented bell housing. Can I drill holes in it to vent it and it be ok if it's not completely centered? I'm sure I could get it real close. Just curious about that.

I flipped it 2x and it held up nicely with that cage on it.
Are there front tires that are as tall as these stock front tires out there for sale? These stock tires are alot taller than all of these baja sets I have. I haven't seen the uber vipers next to a set of stock tires. I'm curious on how tall they are. Swapping tires I feel I'm going to loose a half inch of ground clearance.

Attachments

• 20200422_195025.jpg
    20200422_195025.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have so many parts coming atm from Amazon, dds,DDM,Ebay lol.. I need to chill out.

I guess I'll be fine with the lower profile tires, less wheel roll, lighter and easier to turn over.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423-162559_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200423-162559_Chrome.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks