Super Baja rey is China garbage...avoid imho!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because someone broke a rear axle doesn't mean it's a bad truck. Yes, mayby that axle should a been aluminium right away but there isn't one truck out there that's100% bad ass right out off the box.

I really like my Losi 5T, %B, and DBXL-E. I genuinely like the "closer to scale likeness" of a 1/7, especially the Super Baja King and have bren thinking of getting time for the longest. FWIW, my LHS think I should get one. We looked at the parts and I needed to promise myself to be extra-gentle when driving the Super Baja King.

We think that the plastic parts are not design/hardty to take as much beating as we would the DBXL-E, 5ive-B, and 5ive-T. If anyone need to test performance capability and especially toughness, limitation, I suggest that one keep spares of the axle housing, links, and driveshafts. We would probably need to custom machine aluminum 7075 billet, the axle housing, axle chromoly internal gears and pinion, reinforce the front A-Arms, Front and Rear Links and Driveshaft. Then I we upgrade motor and Electronics.

Yes It can be done Super Strong and Beautifully. But it will cost truckloads of pennies. That's why we should have NO qualms, beating-up the 5ive-T, 5ive-B and DBXL-E. But NEVER the Super Baja King.

So, the Traxxas Unlimited, We like Better?! Hmmmmm, HaHa, Hoot-Hoot! I honestly dunno. We NEVER owned or have Driven one. MAYBE we are just NOT Ready for the Traxxas. Sincere Apologies.

1st I have heard of the Losi. I have heard similar parts brake pretty fast on the TRX UDR. Most common out the box part broken is the trainling arms to the rear live axle. Hmmm, Losi Baja Rey was in my sights.

1st I have heard of the Losi. I have heard similar parts brake pretty fast on the TRX UDR. Most common out the box part broken is the trainling arms to the rear live axle. Hmmm, Losi Baja Rey was in my sights.

i was considering both.

i think both will fail if they are used as a basher and for large jumps which is not what these cars are designed for imo.

i bought the traxxas more for the scale looks and attention to detail which the losi does not come close.

i would still like to see a sbr in the flash to compare the two. but i am more than happy with the traxxas so far. but i have not tested the durability yet.

i totally disagree, i have been giving it hell for some time now.. and aside from the body damage and id like some beadlock tires.. its an awesome machine.

Attachments

• losi01.jpg
    losi01.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 9
Got my SBR 2 weeks ago and loving it so far. Jumped it, raced it on and offroad, no hardcore bashing yet because of could weather. Biggest con I think will be working on the front and midd diff, no easy acces. And the rear axle probably needs an upgrade. Do you guys know off any wheels/tires that would fit other then the stock ones?
If you look on rc-car-online.de you will find some tires that’ll work but they take a larger hex and you have to buy that from them too. They are also located in Germany. I bought some LED covers for my SBR from them. Clear on the front and red on the back lights. I think that you have to switch to 22mm or 24mm hex. I think that I’ve also seen some on eBay. Even though they are across the pond I received my order in two days. Give them a try!
I have beat the crap out of mine...end over end high-speed carnage... I have two cracked rear fenders...that's it. I'm telling you I jumped and beat this thing in the rain... 50+ sideways "how is it still going" crashes with nothing but cracked rear panels. Think you got a lemon...the Super Baja Rey is legit. I don't get paid to pimp Losi. I hated my Baja 5B...just saying
I’ve had my SBR for almost a year. I regularly beat the snot out of it and all I’ve broken is a rear trailing arm. Hot Racing and GPM make a few good aftermarket parts. I don’t know what everyone is griping about. I’ve had good luck with mine.
I respectfully disagree and believe the big squid review was fake.

We have put a total of 30 minutes of relativly light field only running on it, no offrading or bashing.

Result = broken rear axle and mount.

Sorry but in my specific case this is a $1000 pos and a bogey.

I should have taken the advice of a few others but I bought into the last two months of horizons marketing.

Better luck to others out there but I didn't plan to get into buying parts this quick!

And no...I own quite a few rc vehicles and truth be told they all require maintenance but not this much this soon. Again very disappointed and there is simply no way this is a strong vehicle now that we tested it...baby tested it at that.

I agree now with others that this truck is total garbage.

View attachment 45221

We have put a total of 30 minutes of relativly light field only running on it, no offrading or bashing.

I should have taken the advice of a few others but I bought into the last two months of horizons marketing.

Better luck to others out there but I didn't plan to get into buying parts this quick!

And no...I own quite a few rc vehicles and truth be told they all require maintenance but not this much this soon. Again very disappointed and there is simply no way this is a strong vehicle now that we tested it...baby tested it at that.

View attachment 45221

View attachment 45221
Hot Racing makes a metal third member so this type of damage can be avoided!

View attachment 45221
Get a Hot Racing metal third member.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast. Some guys are lucky and beat the snot out of them while other get the sh*t end of the stick after one tank or battery. I wouldn't necessarily call it a pos though.

Have you upgraded any more parts?
How's it been going?

I had a lot of fun building up the Super Baja Rey. The RTR Model are designed using many components in plastic, that can take only so much abuse for a 1/6 scale. Either drive it with care (and NOT as if you stole it), otherwise swap for HOP Ups (including esc, motor, TX & RX) to improve on performance, reliability, and durability especially I you wanted to push to the limits. CRAZY 70-80% Hop-Up of the RTR Package. You can always offer the take off parts to a fellow hobbyist in need of these parts - who may be badly needing a replacement and on a tighter budget.

Super Baja Rey

Last edited:
Yeah every now
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast. Some guys are lucky and beat the snot out of them while other get the sh*t end of the stick after one tank or battery. I wouldn't necessarily call it a pos though.

Have you upgraded any more parts?
How's it been going?
[/QUOTE
Yeah every now
Yeah every now and then people do get the short end of the stick and receive a ?! I haven’t put any new upgrades on it for a while. I guess you saw my pictures. Here’s all that I have done on it. Hot Racing rear trailing arms,metal rear end third member, and servo mount. It’s got a GPM rear driveshaft and steering bellcrank. I guess if you wanna include the front and rear LED covers that also counts as an upgrade! It’s been raining off and on so much in Virginia that I haven’t had it out a whole lot. I’ve got a 1/10 scale truck that I use for muddin’. On payday I’m going to get a pair of 4s Lipos to run in it. I can’t wait for that! How have things been going your way?

Last edited:
Rear Axle aluminium Housing, Tranny Aluminium Housing, MiP Rear Driveshaft, Rear Lower Trailing Arms, Rear Upper and Lower Mount, Rear, Front Upper Shock Mount, Front Bulkhead, Front Steering Assembly, 1/5 Steering Servo, 1/5 Servo Mount, 1/5 Deadlock Wheels & Tires, Front Upper and Lower A-arms, Spindle and C-Hub, 24mm Wheel Hexes,LED's, plus a few more small components. Going Super Enjoyable

I had a lot of fun building up the Super Baja Rey. The RTR Model are designed using many components in plastic, that can take only so much abuse for a 1/6 scale. Either drive it with care (and NOT as if you stole it), otherwise swap for HOP Ups (including esc, motor, TX & RX) to improve on performance, reliability, and durability especially I you wanted to push to the limits. CRAZY 70-80% Hop-Up of the RTR Package. You can always offer the take off parts to a fellow hobbyist in need of these parts - who may be badly needing a replacement and on a tighter budget.

View attachment 50855
View attachment 50856

Super Baja Rey

View attachment 50855
View attachment 50856

Super Baja Rey
Man that is one SWEET looking ride you have there sir!

I've beaten the piss out of mine. Numerous endos too many to count the body cracks that can be expected. Im running 2 Max Amps 6500 mah 11.1 True 150c Dual core batts. The transmission finally blew... I run on sand somedays it been wet somedays it dry. Besides the transmission being shelled and awaiting parts my biggest problem has been the right rear tire loading up with sand and water the last one I weighed was almost 2 pounds after I cut it open and dumped out some of the sand. maybe seal off those breather holes on those rims(wheels) ....wish they had better options for rim tire combos.......

B6A4B651-E98B-482B-8315-591EFD79889C.jpeg39ED4582-B665-4488-9351-597D683ACBEF.jpeg82082174-AC27-4C69-A193-0F77F0EBDA51.jpeg39ED4582-B665-4488-9351-597D683ACBEF.jpegB6A4B651-E98B-482B-8315-591EFD79889C.jpegTire....n Transmission...528115281282082174-AC27-4C69-A193-0F77F0EBDA51.jpeg39ED4582-B665-4488-9351-597D683ACBEF.jpeg
82082174-AC27-4C69-A193-0F77F0EBDA51.jpeg
39ED4582-B665-4488-9351-597D683ACBEF.jpeg
Thanks anytime I’ve had the truck about 5 months the 1/10 scale was diffidently a return in 30 days it never made it thru a set of batts without breaking. There’s a spartan waiting to be resurrected too. It broke the stock shaft and dropped the prop in the river, a few years ago. 87B60DAD-998B-4A32-AA16-191F40DEF06A.jpeg

Attachments

• 4017A04E-1880-4B5C-8782-5F0F59F4D2FC.jpeg
    4017A04E-1880-4B5C-8782-5F0F59F4D2FC.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 48BDE45A-A81F-40B3-8588-4B15014BD077.jpeg
    48BDE45A-A81F-40B3-8588-4B15014BD077.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks