Which RTR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dougstar,

I would recommend looking at your LHS and see what they stock. I know the Internet can get you what you need pretty fast, but nothing can replace the knowledge of your LHS and fellow RCer's advice.

All in all, I would recommend either a Losi platform or possibly Kraken?

hey @ Gamefan
my LHS SUX! :confused: 1/8 scale nitro or brushless is whats on offer. just for laughs just google hobby shops south africa ........:poop:
losi RTR is a good choice parts are not too dear and most online stores have.
kraken RTR are not available as far as i can tell , for the moment at least. the spares are quite expensive do like the look of the vekta 5

Sorry to hear that! I have heard mixed feedback about the DBXL. Some love it and others say they have to upgrade straight away. Have you thought about the Losi MTXL? Looks real nice and I hear it is pretty tough.

Gamefan I am really into the MTXL but its a special beast. If you are not intro monstertrucks it makes little sense. Its not that fast. Its wobbly because of those ridiculous tires. What it is, is fun if you have an area where it can stretch its feet. If you have mostly flat land, its not the right vehicle.

If I was go out to get a great all arounder I would pick up an RCMK XCR 1200 in a heartbeat. It is designed by the same guy that did the DBXL from what I understand. The XCR is just an all around better drive out of the box. In terms of spare parts you are pretty much stuck with DDM as the brand is really a boat brand that just branched out into cars with this, so its not well known outside of boat enthusiast circles and I have only seen DDM pick them up?!.

Or something more exotic like Elcon which is pro buggies. Hard to beat in terms of quality. The reason to go with more exotic pro brands is that you genuinely get more fun for your money, even if you get less stuff in the box. The feeling of control and feedback you get from a model vehicle made for scale racing which is in its 3rd or 4th itteration is really something else. Also for bashing.

A new player which I have been eyeballing is 30 degree north. They have just released a buggy that looks badass. They did a losi 5t clone which was really good. This buggy is down the vein of Losi 5B. On paper its specs is great, lots of bang bucks and I personally think its looks is menacing.

If you want the least hassle with the most spare parts available everywhere go with HPI 5b, Losi 5ive-T or 5ive-B or a clone of HPI or Losi. Personally I really fancy Losi 5ive-B but 5ive-T has much wider 3rd party support. Also, right now there is a surge of desert truck/Baja trucks comming out left and right. Worth to keep and eye on if you like that stiff back axle design.

HPI's 5B is without competition the most versatile LSRC. Second to none. Whatever you want to build the platform into, you can be certain that someone has already build the parts. Monstertruck? Yes. Desert buggy? Absolutely, several. You want it shorter? longer? The parts are there. And it is a lot of fun but its also a fickle driver. Its takes some modding before you can just floor it without a care.

Last edited:
I agree Thrasher!

If monster trucks are what you crave, then the MTXL is the one to get.

As for the DBXL, I too would recommend the RCMK XCR 1200. I hear DDM has more parts in stock and plans on supporting this car for some time.

I have not see then 30 degree RC vehicles yet. Need to look them up. I plan on getting the 5ive B as I now want to build one from the ground up.

Dougstar. The xcr 1200 is larger, heavier and sturdier than the dbxl so you are not far off comparing it to a mix between losi 5B and a dbxl.

Gamefan. DDM has pulled it up front along with the other brands they declare long time support for, so I think you are right. It must also mean that the people who buy them are happy about the deal and vids on youtube suggest as much.

This is the 30DN buggy I am talking about
Considering it is an RTR and what it comes with stock its a solid deal. In particular if it is as solid a platform as their other work,.

edit: Just remembered that speaking of montertrucks. Primal RC a small company that does high end RC dragsters have brewed on a to scale 5th scale monstertruck for a while now and those that have seen it call it the end boss of RC. A 5th scale, actually to scale with solid axles and the whole biz, monstertruck.....

@Thrasher thtat 30 degree north buggy looks the biz :love: considering it comes with a tuned pipe. googled a few vids with the body off the lay out is very different to a losi 5b may not have any heat issues. i have ordered a TlR 5B just waiting for it to be delivered. :p
So for myself id not go for a 30 degree north buggy but seems like a solid option.
went on to the primal page did not see any thing other than drag rigs what am i missing

I don't think that Primal RC monster truck has been released yet.

What are you gonna put in that 5ive B...servos, motor, pipe..?

what did i get ... a zenoah G320R and a chrome bart pipe outerwears pull and crank covers and the TLR filter cover.
want to put a couple braces on as well but have not put the order in. as far as servos savox 1201somthing something waterproof 20kg lol
ill put x3 from a local shop and still need radio and a killswitch

@dougstar the monstertruck is not official but is to be presented within the next couple of months. There is already substantial hype building from those that have seen it. And congrants on the 5ive-B I think you are going to be happy with it. it is a crazy good platform.

I think that FG generally makes some really nice stuff. However, I think you are more limited with an on-road platform. You can always stiffen up suspension and put on-road tires on your offroad platform, it is not as easy to do the reverse. Obviously it is never going to be 100% the same as a dedicated on-road vehicle but you can get close enough for just pissing about and then you have two options in a single platform. The Baja 5R Ford Mustang Boss 302 edition is a fine example of this, actually.

I also think that with on-road you quickly find yourself missing someone to drive with/up against. You are entertained longer from off-road bashing if you are mostly going to drive on your own. All this said, if you are really into on-road racers my opinion may not apply to you at all.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks