Which RTR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a really solid entry level on-road vehicle, for sure. If you have a big asphalt area, go for it.

I also think that with on-road you quickly find yourself missing someone to drive with/up against. You are entertained longer from off-road bashing if you are mostly going to drive on your own.

Sometimes i take my wife with me when i bash. Puts a smile on her face when she sees the car she is controlling powerslide around a corner or launching off a jump flying through the air, land and brraappp off..she always says "DID YOU SEE THAT!?!?!?!!?"......unless it was the DBXL when i had it put together....which she would launch off a jump... fly through the air a little then quickly nose dive into the ground flipping over 10,000,000 times before it comes to rest on its top. She doesn't say nuthing then....i just notice an oh poop look on her face and she would take off running in the general direction of where the DBXL was going...or if she hit a tree......i hear the brrraaappp sound then SMACK!!!....again... the oh poop look on her face and off running in the direction of the SMACK sound.....

If i get another..i might do the on road thing...but that Vekta desert truck is looking really nice...

Looking more into it.....It IS expensive...and heavy too...almost 42lbs with motor installed..thats not including the 2 extra tires on the back....comes with a 29cc CY...i would think you would need more than that in order to get the thing to really move...tack on an addition $250-$300+ for at LEAST a stock g320...and gonna need/want a pipe...throw on another $150-$250..... this thing is now over $2000.....

Its looks nice but i don't know if its nice enough at that price....it probably is though....

been surfing as we all do on the web and looked at the MCD XR5 rally chassis. seems the make 3 to chose from in the rally format
factory team spec and a racing spec and a ultimate.
00522001c-611.jpg

06-1200x700.jpeg

Now the interesting thing is they (MCD) have four cars that all use the same chassis and you can buy a conversion kit to change to from any car to any car.
522001f.JPG

Last edited:
this thing is now over $2000.....

Well cry me a river bro. That is pretty much what I paid for a bonestock MTXL due to taxes (I paid 1500$ to be precise). I love MCD's design and philosphy. They are incredible models and their one platform immer alles is brilliant. At races (offroad races) I see them rattle apart because there are so many things you can adjust, which is good. But it means all those little screws cant be threadlocked, which is bad because vibration makes them fall out and then like dominos or pulling a string in a wool sweater the whole thing just comes undone in an instant lol. Only thing about MCD that I am not a complete whore for is their body design. Their models looks like toys and kind of cheap ones at that which is a bit meh when you consider that their models are top shelf from cheapest to most expensive one.

Last edited:
Well cry me a river bro. That is pretty much what I paid for a bonestock MTXL due to taxes (I paid 1500$ to be precise). I love MCD's design and philosphy. They are incredible models and their one platform immer alles is brilliant. At races (offroad races) I see them rattle apart because there are so many things you can adjust, which is good. But it means all those little screws cant be threadlocked, which is bad because vibration makes them fall out and then like dominos or pulling a string in a wool sweater the whole thing just comes undone in an instant lol. Only thing about MCD that I am not a complete whore for is their body design. Their models looks like toys and kind of cheap ones at that which is a bit meh when you consider that their models are top shelf from cheapest to most expensive one.

Nah not that much $999 competition rolling chassis which is the starting price then $1399 then $1799 top self at http://www.largescalerc.com/mcdracing4x4.aspx

LOL all of the above:LOL:
don't want clones. don't mind mind clone rims tiers but thats where i draw the line. oh and i prefer 4WD coz better handling

I've noticed people commenting about how this or that is not made in China or HPI is better than KM etc. One guy even posted an article about how HPI is better then XYZ. I'm in the aerospace industry and have dealt with and tested various types of materials over 32 years. I took pieces of aluminum, steel, and plastic from KM/Rovan and HPI and sent them to our lab at Airbus Helicopters. There was not a nickels difference. 95 percent of our hobby products are sourced from china. There are some parts machined here in the US typically from Chinese sourced aluminum. Regardless, the aluminum is almost always 6061. 7075 parts are a rare exception.

To determine material type and degree of heat treat, you need a hardness tester at a minimum and material certs from the mfg. Don't let anyone try to fool you. There is no secret factory in the US making the 95% that comes from China.

The material specs from an $1100 HPI and a $400 KM/Rovan is the SAME.

I've noticed people commenting about how this or that is not made in China or HPI is better than KM etc. One guy even posted an article about how HPI is better then XYZ. I'm in the aerospace industry and have dealt with and tested various types of materials over 32 years. I took pieces of aluminum, steel, and plastic from KM/Rovan and HPI and sent them to our lab at Airbus Helicopters. There was not a nickels difference. 95 percent of our hobby products are sourced from china. There are some parts machined here in the US typically from Chinese sourced aluminum. Regardless, the aluminum is almost always 6061. 7075 parts are a rare exception.

To determine material type and degree of heat treat, you need a hardness tester at a minimum and material certs from the mfg. Don't let anyone try to fool you. There is no secret factory in the US making the 95% that comes from China.

The material specs from an $1100 HPI and a $400 KM/Rovan is the SAME.

I know..... my TLR 5b has a big made in Taiwan on the box it was shipped in. when i say i don't want clones some of the cheaper chines ripoffs break a lot . you see the outlay for me to play 1/5 is more than say someone in usa ,uk or Europe. $250 us was what i was charged to ship my 5B plus $220 on customs........... so if im going to do it i want good quality form the star. do you see where im coming from

I know..... my TLR 5b has a big made in Taiwan on the box it was shipped in. when i say i don't want clones some of the cheaper chines ripoffs break a lot . you see the outlay for me to play 1/5 is more than say someone in usa ,uk or Europe. $250 us was what i was charged to ship my 5B plus $220 on customs........... so if im going to do it i want good quality form the star. do you see where im coming from

HPI, KM, Rovan. Same quality. Same steel, aluminum, plastic, and dimensioning. No difference other than name on box if stock. Hpi buggy $1100. Km $450. Only difference is $650.

King Motor/Rovan are the same. Along with HPI. The Rovan name exists so Dan can sell in Australia. Pick one you like with the options you want and go for it. I run mine almost daily and beat it pretty hard and have only broken a $5 part. Mine is the king motor buggy that sells for $439.

I've had a KM Baja chassis for 4 months. It has been the most reliable rc I've ever had in 25 years. I beat the bejesus out of it and only broke a $5 servo saver link. You will find that the steel, aluminum and plastic between KM and HPI is the same spec. Not a Nickel's difference. A big reason I decided to go with the KM. I have rc models from numerous manufacturers and this KM has been outstanding.

I've had a KM Baja chassis for 4 months. It has been the most reliable rc I've ever had in 25 years. I beat the bejesus out of it and only broke a $5 servo saver link. You will find that the steel, aluminum and plastic between KM and HPI is the same spec. Not a Nickel's difference. A big reason I decided to go with the KM. I have rc models from numerous manufacturers and this KM has been outstanding.
thats great @Philip67(y) id still buy the losi 5t 2.0 first(y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks