Z's HPI Baja 5b/5t build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 70s Kawasaki made several 2 stroke triple cylinder street bikes. I briefly owned the 400cc version, before I baked the center cylinder. My dad had the 750cc version. Mine was scary to ride, his was death waiting to happen. The power came in just like a dirt bike, that was geared low. All at once. He called his the widow maker. Mom made us get rid of them. Very difficult to ride.
Yea that's before my time, I was only speaking to the current market lol. Hell, pretty much the ONLY "off-road" street legal bikes (to my knowledge, and in the US) right now are the Yama WR250 (you can get a 450 in the EU but they don't currently sell them in the US), the Honda CRF250, and KTM's lineup which ranges from 250-690 I believe. The 690 is too big and heavy to be considered a "dirt bike" IMO though, it's more of an "off-road" bike. The WR and CRF are neutered forms of their racing counterparts to accommodate lazy people wanting a dirt bike without doing dirt bike maintenance. The street-legal KTM bikes are identical to their race counterparts in the motor and such, just a few creature comforts added and all the street-legal junk, which makes it a 500-mile oil change lol.

Edit to throw in the DR650, KLR650, DR400z. Also street legal, although all of them are ancient designs still selling for full price.

They got the name of Kettle's didn't they as they always boiled the centre cylinder. don't see many of them about these days, although 2 years ago at a meet I saw an immaculate 750 kettle, all original and still with the original owner, beautiful bike to look at.
Yeah I heard of that as well, I actually got mine from a guy that smoked the center cylinder. Parts were rough to come by at the time. $500 for a cylinder and piston kit. Bumped the center jet up one size to try to combat the problem. Didnt help for long. Honestly thought the piston to cylinder clearance was too tight from the factory, was the issue, but at the time I didnt know much about such things. Mom wasnt having it so it had to go. Best part was I made money selling it to some collector guy I never met in person. He sent a moving truck to pick it up and 2 grand cash, sight unseen. Just had to sign the title over to his proxy.

Well my bad (or should I say, Baja?) Luck caught up with me ?‍♂️?‍♂️ feking foam exploded and dismounted the tire (gotta check the bead, hope the tire isn't feked ?). Oh and the shock bottom broke (think limiting straps, like I was suggested in the beginning ?‍♂️, would have prevented this)
IMG_20200707_181130.jpg
IMG_20200707_181133.jpg

Was hauling ass proper tho.
Yeah the pink thing is my toe strap ?

Last edited:
Read the first bit .......then jumped to the end? bead off.........limiting straps ??????????‍♂️ then what the fek???
Hostile boots are mashed?‍♂️?
Yep noticed that too, mc-fuckd ?‍♂️ the outers seem to poop the bed, the inner boots are fine ? running CV protectors too. On the other side it's starting to tear aswell.
Thankfully the hostile tire is fine ? foam has disappeared sum how ? never going to buy those poop ones again. Gunna tape the next set aswell jus in case . OBR HERSPAR BBY ???????

Yup, that's exactly what you do. You take a roll of Duck or Gorilla tape and wrap it around the circumference of the foam 3 or 4 times. This will keep it from ballooning and detonating inside the tire.
Thanks, that's exactly what I want ? hopefully no more tire issues from then on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks