1/8 scale HPI Savage SC 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your center section between the cones is way too short for starters. The forcing cones are arguably one of the most important parts for functionality of the pipe. Really need to make sure the inside of the pipe is nice and smooth, remember your transmitting a sound wave back at the engine. You third problem I'd the cone at the engine side should be more of a gradual taper, not quite so abrupt till you hit header size. Stinger placement is just as much where there is room for it as it is for performance. I don't know what pipe you tried to copy, but it wasn't a great design to begin with. I believe you would have gotten a bit farther with some sort of hammer and dolley, or an English wheel preferably. Thinking about it, starting with tube may have been a hindrance as well. Sheet steel would have been preferable with limited access to forming equipment. Cut you pipe sections into the nessisary shapes you want and weld it all together. This would give some advantages for a home brewed pipe, as you can cut a bit large and fit together to see if it's going to work and trim up till you get the perfect fit.
Ps no one cares of you hack a pipe apart to make it fit, in the end you'd be better off with a china pipe for your use, as hacking a pipe can degrade performance depending on how nasty you are with it. No point in chopping up a decent pipe.

your center section between the cones is way too short for starters. The forcing cones are arguably one of the most important parts for functionality of the pipe. Really need to make sure the inside of the pipe is nice and smooth, remember your transmitting a sound wave back at the engine. You third problem I'd the cone at the engine side should be more of a gradual taper, not quite so abrupt till you hit header size. Stinger placement is just as much where there is room for it as it is for performance. I don't know what pipe you tried to copy, but it wasn't a great design to begin with. I believe you would have gotten a bit farther with some sort of hammer and dolley, or an English wheel preferably. Thinking about it, starting with tube may have been a hindrance as well. Sheet steel would have been preferable with limited access to forming equipment. Cut you pipe sections into the nessisary shapes you want and weld it all together. This would give some advantages for a home brewed pipe, as you can cut a bit large and fit together to see if it's going to work and trim up till you get the perfect fit.
Ps no one cares of you hack a pipe apart to make it fit, in the end you'd be better off with a china pipe for your use, as hacking a pipe can degrade performance depending on how nasty you are with it. No point in chopping up a decent pipe.
Thanks for the input. Planning on cutting the mid section in half so I can get in and clean up the welding debris. While I am at it I will lengthen the center section as well. Off the top of your head would you say 1" longer or 2" +/-? I agree on your other points of using different tools and materials.

You don’t have $250
Well turns out I do have $250, buried somewhere. o_O

Anyways, I picked up some 5b wheels and tires for the Savage along with aluminum hex adapters. Haven't finished the pipe yet but here is a comparison next to my 5SC. Width is a bit narrower and it is a couple inches shorter.

20210716_202651.jpg

20210716_202713.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks