ESP G340 vs OBR G340 reed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I made a mistake starting this debate, I wasn’t intending on any negativity towards either company since I’ve owned esp headkits too and like both companies. I mainly just wanted some opinions since I’m a horrible decision maker and always feel like I made the wrong choice when I buy something this expensive without any advice on it
At the end of the day, buy what you want and feel comfortable with . They are both great engines And companies ?
@misterleon you had both, esp 34 or obr 34 reed which had more power?

until a legit dyno is put together to get real world numbers its an unknown rating...and honestly im in the best altitude to see the most hp because I'm at sea-level with no elevation...im actually -6 feet below

Yeah if a independent person who’s impartial to any brand could setup an accurate dyno and test all the big name rc engines that would be really cool, maybe even test different tuned pipes too

I went from esp 32cc race port head to a 34cc red arrow...the esp i think is more aggressive but the red arrow has a smoother powerband...and i didn't notice much difference up high so unless you go from 32cc to like 40cc you might be disappointed...honestly I wish I went with the esp34 because I would of had a few more Benjamin's in my pocket

One other engine I’m really interested in is the Bartolone 40cc, it looks sick but 1700$ is just a little too much out of my budget right now

That price doesn't even include a pipe
Yeah it’s pretty crazy, I have no doubt Chris Bartolone makes good stuff, just way out of my price range. Already not too far off from affording one of Rcmax’s 80cc engines for that much

I think a 40gt is around 950 and money left to buy a pipe
The thing I think is really cool about the rcmax engines is the fact they’re completely original designs made by them. The only downside I could think of is parts availability but besides that they look badass

My crossroads was track manners. As I would like to go to a track with mine. Bashing is fun but I want to push my truck and my skills on time and skill... i see the big bore engines as just wheelie basher cars...it will be too fast for anything with discipline

The thing I think is really cool about the rcmax engines is the fact they’re completely original designs made by them. The only downside I could think of is parts availability but besides that they look badass
You don't have a problem with parts availability, Detroit performance will hook you up if you need anything. And shopping from uk (rcmax) isn't expensive at all if you ever needed to order direct.

So there are plenty of dynos out there for these small engines. They are expensive to say the least. One of the guys in my saw forum has one and regularly test small engines in it. Typically a "hot saw" with a very good port job, and a can muffler gets around 1hp per 10cc. Same saw with a custom tuned pipe normally is in the 1.4hp per 10 cc range. I've seen his dyno sheets for lots and lots of engines north of 50cc class and his results are normally within the above stated range, and when testing new engines his results are within +- 5% of mfg stared hp. I very highly doubt that any 34cc engine makes 9+hp. But if we all want to find out, the kart dynos go for big money, even a home made inertia dyno would run in the $2k range.

I think like most engines there is only so much that you can squeeze out of them.The larger automotive engines need a considerable amount of headwork and boring and stroke work to make significant power at a point where aggressive head work starts to reach it's maximum potential.To squeeze 3hp out of 34-36 cc's is asking a lot especially when we are using an older design.The RcMax stuff and ALX is much newer tech and they are using different bores and pistons which make a huge difference.I am guessing they put some serious thought into the way the head flows.

The issue I have with pure rolling bed "dynos" is they do not apply load to the engine, rather it's a calculation of how fast they spool up. Thus making them better for testing tweaks to an engine vs getting real hp figures.
I've been thinking of making a hydraulic dyno, but get lost in the gearing to keep the pump within specified rpm range, and the possible loss of torque going through the gear train. Then you have the data logging aspect of it. A decent set up is pricey on it's own, let alone A/F meter, tachometer, load cells, weather station, and so on. The actual parts for a dyno I more or less have laying around. Cool part of this set up is the fluid temperature is irrelevant, when it gets hot and thins out, you just adjust you valve to keep the pressure consistent. That aside, I have other things I need to get done before going off on another unneeded project.

I think like most engines there is only so much that you can squeeze out of them.The larger automotive engines need a considerable amount of headwork and boring and stroke work to make significant power at a point where aggressive head work starts to reach it's maximum potential.To squeeze 3hp out of 34-36 cc's is asking a lot especially when we are using an older design.The RcMax stuff and ALX is much newer tech and they are using different bores and pistons which make a huge difference.I am guessing they put some serious thought into the way the head flows.
You need to remember the zen cylinder configuration (in the g320) is much more desirable closed transfer port design. The only thing (in my mind) that would make it better is having a removable head. That would make setting compression and port timing a much easier task. Alx and rc max take advantage of using engines that feature this design, and cylinders that weren't based off of weedwackers.
No no @Seandonato73 we NEED this... rc Mythbusters :LOL:
You foot the bill, and I'll start scrounging the parts ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks