Hpi 5sc refresh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No really, I’m so surprised. 🤔

😂 I hope it ain’t too bad?
Paced it out and its a 40ft gap. Landed it clean and flopped on the suspension rebound. Hit it again and didnt get a clean hit off the ramp and ended up shearing some dog bone pins. I want to land the 40ft clean and then step up to a 60ft, then an 80ft. A local baseball park has some moveable skateboard ramps that are positioned next to a 12ft tall grass bank. With any luck I can place the ramps just right and make a clean step up and keep adding distance to the gap.

After one tank the body looks pretty rough. :ROFLMAO:

Paced it out and its a 40ft gap. Landed it clean and flopped on the suspension rebound. Hit it again and didnt get a clean hit off the ramp and ended up shearing some dog bone pins. I want to land the 40ft clean and then step up to a 60ft, then an 80ft. A local baseball park has some moveable skateboard ramps that are positioned next to a 12ft tall grass bank. With any luck I can place the ramps just right and make a clean step up and keep adding distance to the gap.

There a limit to the saying "Go hard or go home", I'd just go home in your case. :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, none of these rigs that this much are meant to jump that high and be undamaged. Go easy my friend.

Last edited:
always land with power off
Getting a feel for the rig and how it flies. It launches pretty level on a flat kicker and that helps with landing. It sheared the pins when I hit the ramp crooked with only 2 wheels on the ramp. Mainly because I was still in the throttle and it only made a short hop and hit the ground.

The FLM shafts it had were press fit which are a PITA to change compared to grub screw pins. I had one grub screw shafts that I swapped in and then ordered another set and a bunch of pins to go with it. Grub screw style only takes a few minutes to change and can be done in the field.

So...rough day for the 5sc but fun. Body is cracked pretty bad, rear tire is torn, another dogbone pin down the drain, and a wasted RPM arm.

Front tires are good but I am in need of some decent rear tires/wheels that wont break the bank and are multi terrain. What is a good option?

The threaded section that goes into the rear upper A-arm (turnbuckle) and the ball socket broke. When it broke, it broke below flush in the RPM arm. Is there a decent upgrade for the turnbuckle instead of all-thread? Got a stock arm I will put on it for now.

Attachments

• 20210730_202158.jpg
    20210730_202158.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210730_202208.jpg
    20210730_202208.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think flm makes some rear ball joints

I'll check them out. Tore it down and the rod still had enough thread to reuse it. Tossed the upper RPM arm and installed the stock arm with no issue. While I was in it I replaced the dogbone pins that were bad. Buttoned that up and found that one of the front tires had a tear as well. I think part of my problem is the tires it had were coming off the bead so bad that it was messing with the handling. They would balloon up, the truck would get squirrelly and then it became a handling game. I grabbed the tires off my homemade rig and installed them. They are a bit smaller than the tires that came off but they are brand new, shitbag Rovan new. All back together and ready for more.

you'll need a set of these to the rear uppers:
https://www.davesmotors.com/killer-rc-rear-turnbuckles-for-hpi-baja-5b-5t?sc=12

also, as Milo correctly pointed out "non of these rigs that this much are meant to jump that high and be undamaged". (y)

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for. It's not so much the jump, it's the landing that hurts. Haha. In all reality the turnbuckle that broke had some miles on it before giving up. It is pretty stout. Went over everything and the only parts that are stock HPI are, F/R hubs, shocks, balljoints and bumpers. At this point I have around $1000 into it with the $450 purchase price.

Thanks, that is just what I was looking for. It's not so much the jump, it's the landing that hurts. Haha. In all reality the turnbuckle that broke had some miles on it before giving up. It is pretty stout. Went over everything and the only parts that are stock HPI are, F/R hubs, shocks, balljoints and bumpers. At this point I have around $1000 into it with the $450 purchase price.
This isn’t a cheap hobby, if you want a cheap basher to jump in a half pipe you’re better of with a plastic electric thing.

At the end of the day as long as you’re having fun that’s all that counts. Just don’t complain about breaking stuff when you smash the arse out of your rig jumping canyons like Evil Knievel.

This isn’t a cheap hobby, if you want a cheap basher to jump in a half pipe you’re better of with a plastic electric thing.

At the end of the day as long as you’re having fun that’s all that counts. Just don’t complain about breaking stuff when you smash the arse out of your rig jumping canyons like Evil Knievel.

I agree 100%. If I had bought a stock 5sc and then upgraded it to this point it would definitely be treated differently. The Baja platform is real forgiving and versatile though. For example, I tossed a dogbone pin today. Come to find out the a-arm hinge pins in a Savage are the exact same diameter. Trim to length, grind a flat spot for the grub screw and reinstall. Took it to a kids birthday today with 8 kids under 10 years old. The excitment when I pulled it out, fired up the ole OBR and threw gravel 40ft...priceless. Good clean controlled choas.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks