Killswitch Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have said this a thousand times so here it go again. Get a rubber band or a spring. It can save your vehicle just the same as a KillSwitch. Its cheaper (by a substantial amount), there is far less issues with installing and running them. If you are paranoid ,then get two and there is your backup plan on the backup plan. Its not a joke. Everyone I have convinced to do it stop running with KS and enjoy their engine gremlin issue free joytime.

I got the tip from an off road veteran with 30 odd years behind him in our hobby. And at first I too was like "whaaaa?!!!" because everybody, their dog, horse and grandmother had told me to never run without a KS installed. Then he demonstrated it and i was like..... "ohhhh....well that actually makes sense now that I see it in action".
Sorry, but the only thing a rubber band does is acts as a throttle return, period. The only way it would act as a failsafe is if the horn stripped out.

It amazes me that spectrum would build a system that will not allow a kill switch to work properly. This is a critical safety item. I could see it if they were going to to their own propriety switch but they haven't done that either. Then to design a receiver that is factory set for throttle only and it can't be adjusted.

Spectrum have a fail safe built into their system it applies full breaks if the radio loses contact?? I run a spektrum DX4S (no avc) and I have a killswitch on x4 1/5 no issues??
It amazes me that spectrum would build a system that will not allow a kill switch to work properly. This is a critical safety item. I could see it if they were going to to their own propriety switch but they haven't done that either. Then to design a receiver that is factory set for throttle only and it can't be adjusted.

I don't see how this would help in a true runaway situation where the throttle is mechanically stuck open. I had that happen once where the throttle servo gear stripped and was stuck at WOT. No rubberband would have stopped my rig. Luckily it was a smaller nitro and it only hit a curb.
There will always be a potential thing that you cant guard against. The killswitch can bug out, then what? I actually had the very thing you said happen to me not a month ago and as the servo failed it was pulled back for the finaal time and got stuck in that position. the main gear was ground into bits.
Sorry, but the only thing a rubber band does is acts as a throttle return, period. The only way it would act as a failsafe is if the horn stripped out.
Stop talking and try it out. If you are not on the throttle the vehicle breaks. not from pulling force. its the vibration from the engine that does the work
Among large scaLeon and off road racers in Denmark I don't know a single one who use a killswitch. Not one. And yet, the races are not a mayhem of runaway cars.

There is a funny anecdote about the difference in mentality between Nasa and the Russan spcae program. Nasa supposedly spend a fortune on developing a zero gravity pen. Russians handed the cosmonauts a pencil. While I think the story is horseplop, its a good story about the difference in mentality two people can have to solving the same problem.

Last edited:
There will always be a potential thing that you cant guard against. The killswitch can bug out, then what?

Killswitch bugs out, the worst thing to happen is that my engine won't start, "oh bummer". Servo bugs out at WOT, and the worst thing to happen is someone gets seriously hurt, leaving me at liability for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.

I'll take my chances with a killswitch, thank you very much. A killswitch is like a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, instead of needing one and not having it.

There is no way you will convince me to stop suggesting other members invest in one. Being safe around other people with our heavy cars at high speed makes complete sense.

Nasa's overcomplicated pen didn't have the potential to maim and possibly kill if someone dropped it on the floor.

When i bought my 5T it came with its original receiver. I needed a suthis eitherrface transmitter so i bought the DX5, Then i find that the receiver wont work with the new transmitter. The 5T also came with engine temp and an rpm telemetry hooked up. I ordered the 6 channel receiver so i could still use the telemetry....but they changed how they hook up the telemetry (they now use xbus) . When i called Horizon they said they don't have the new telemetry yet for the receiver. I liked the idea of AVC as this type of assist can work very well in some applications in aircraft. These issues are typical Spektrum. A few years ago I ditched Spektrum in all my planes and went with JETI and never looked back. I should have just went to somebody else's system for the car. In looking at new 5T 2.0 the reciever that comes with them is obsolete also. I agree about the safety issue. They can do what they in Denmark but here in the lawsuit happy USA you have to have a safety system installed. I would not think about flying my 50 cc gas plane without a remote kill switch and a proper fail safe. I don't know of any club that would let me fly them without this either.

Last edited:
Killswitch bugs out, the worst thing to happen is that my engine won't start, "oh bummer". Servo bugs out at WOT, and the worst thing to happen is someone gets seriously hurt, leaving me at liability for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, etc.

I'll take my chances with a killswitch, thank you very much. A killswitch is like a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, instead of needing one and not having it.

There is no way you will convince me to stop suggesting other members invest in one. Being safe around other people with our heavy cars at high speed makes complete sense.

Nasa's overcomplicated pen didn't have the potential to maim and possibly kill if someone dropped it on the floor.

I mean if it bugs out while you are driving. Then what? Then the car will continue on its merry way and you can press your killswitch button until your nail is blue.

Similarly there is no way you will convince me to stop suggesting to other members to save their money and get a solution with far less potential issues overall. Get a spring if you think the rubberband wont cut it. So far I have not broken one. They need to be replaced every so often, obviously. You can do both the killswitch and the spring for the belt and bracers solution.

In looking at new 5T 2.0 the reciever that comes with them is obsolete also

Losi's RTR solution is downright offensive. You pay 1000+ for a new model vehicle and it comes with the same remote as the one used by their toy division. Its the first thing I strip. I have 3 of them laying around. I cant even sell them.

I would not think about flying my 50 cc gas plane without a remote kill switch and a proper fail safe

Neither would I.

Last edited:
Bruh I race 8th nitro with a rubber band around the slide carb of a Novarossi Mephisto .21, just as a throttle return. I've had a standard Savox servo stop working on me and she went wide open, thank God it happened while still on the bump box and that rubberband didn't do shite. It takes little to no torque to keep a rubber band pulled apart and were using servos with upwards of 500 in/oz. of torque. If you loose signal on your radio the ks will shut the car down bruh. You test that by turning the radio off while running. Mine will kill the car when that happens. You can keep your hopes and dreams, I'll use a killswitch??

I mean if it bugs out while you are driving. Then what? Then the car will continue on its merry way and you can press your killswitch button until your nail is blue.

Kill switches don't work like that.

Also, large scale RC carbs already have a throttle return spring built in. Do you own one? Let's see some pics of your setup.

Last edited:
Bruh I race 8th nitro with a rubber band around the slide carb of a Novarossi Mephisto .21, just as a throttle return. I've had a standard Savox servo stop working on me and she went wide open, thank God it happened while still on the bump box and that rubberband didn't do shite. It takes little to no torque to keep a rubber band pulled apart and were using servos with upwards of 500 in/oz. of torque. If you loose signal on your radio the ks will shut the car down bruh. You test that by turning the radio off while running. Mine will kill the car when that happens. You can keep your hopes and dreams, I'll use a killswitch??

Mine breaks if I don't give it throttle. as soon as I let go of the throttle it will roll for max 10 meters before stopping completely. I like how you guys are still talking and have this that and the other opinion and compare it to another type of engine the size of an espresso cup. How many of you have tried to attach a fiddlesticking rubberband to your servo and see if it works? Zero? Nobody?

If you loose signal on your radio the ks will shut the car down bruh[/QUOTE ]

Unless it bugs out. If it stops the car it works pretty much as intended. I will stick to my simple 'only one thing can go wrong' solution along with pretty much every racer over here. And its got nothing to do with insurance. Its popular because it works.

Kill switches don't work like that.

Like what?

Mine breaks if I don't give it throttle. as soon as I let go of the throttle it will roll for max 10 meters before stopping completely. I like how you guys are still talking and have this that and the other opinion and compare it to another type of engine the size of an espresso cup. How many of you have tried to attach a fiddlesticking rubberband to your servo and see if it works? Zero? Nobody?

Let's see some pics of this magical setup.

Sure. Here it is again: (My mates setup but its the same)

That won't do anything in a WOT runaway situation. This only helps if the throttle servo loses power. Not even close to the same function as a killswitch.

There's no point in arguing this with you. You're gonna do whatever you want, and that's totally fine. I still think it's a horrible idea to not have a killswitch. Mine will kill my motor if it loses signal, if the battery dies or if I hit the switch. I've tested all scenarios, and it just plain works. I also have a servo failsafe that will hit the brakes if the rx loses signal.

If the killswitch ever fails me and hurts someone, at least when I go in front of a judge, I'll be able to tell them I took all reasonable measures to prevent injury.

This only helps if the throttle servo loses power.

No it doesn't. You can keep running your ignorant mouth and come up with hypothesis or you can put a rubber band on your servo and see that it works. it takes 2 minutes (if you do it with your feet for challenge)
Wow Lorraine posted a pic, well done you???
Llorraine? No man. Thrasher. This is a proxy account as the other one fiddlesticked up and I have no idea how it happend. At first I thought it was a shadowban but I had not gotten that impression from the admins soeh.....

EDIT. IMPORTANT. IF ANYONE TRY THE RUBBERBAND METHOD DO NOT USE A SERVO WITH PLASTIC GEARS. They wear out faster than usual.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks