New to me 5ive t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol?‍♂️ could have sworn that you where asking about a bigger clutch ? must have miss read your post?‍♂️?
Lemme expound.

So what the dastardly plan here might be, I want one of them there fancy 40cc eye-talian motors. I was considering converting to a g340( of dubious origions) I have here, or maybe even putting in the lowly OBR 29.5 reed I'm rebuilding( which likely is a better motor than I'm understanding Mc chonk to be), putting an affordable pipe on said motor, and re-sing as much of the crap from the 46 as possible.

In the mean time, possibly sell said 46, after a good clean and gasket refresh, on the book of faces for some cash, taking some money I had saved to was on....well useless car crap, and possibly ordering the ridiculously expensive 40cc of wonder....

This is my cunning plan....ish lol.

If I buy a better clutch system, will it work.with an rcmax or ALX system motor? I'm sorry, this is both my first 5ive chassis, and experience with those engines ( the TS reed motors in 30.5 where where HOT rods, and the OBR twin was debuting, when I was into 1/5 scale before....). What clutch setup would you reccomend to accomplish this dastardly plan?

Couple 100 I rekon?
Obr 47 reed 799
Dp gt40 995
Yeah but the 40 needs a carb clutch and pipe, your up to 1300
I know the motor physically is, I was just wondering about the clutch system
Don't think it will work, hell a 34 zen has diff bolt spacings then a 23-30.5, I doubt the 460 will work with a 34 or under.
Lemme expound.

So what the dastardly plan here might be, I want one of them there fancy 40cc eye-talian motors. I was considering converting to a g340( of dubious origions) I have here, or maybe even putting in the lowly OBR 29.5 reed I'm rebuilding( which likely is a better motor than I'm understanding Mc chonk to be), putting an affordable pipe on said motor, and re-sing as much of the crap from the 46 as possible.

In the mean time, possibly sell said 46, after a good clean and gasket refresh, on the book of faces for some cash, taking some money I had saved to was on....well useless car crap, and possibly ordering the ridiculously expensive 40cc of wonder....

This is my cunning plan....ish lol.

If I buy a better clutch system, will it work.with an rcmax or ALX system motor? I'm sorry, this is both my first 5ive chassis, and experience with those engines ( the TS reed motors in 30.5 where where HOT rods, and the OBR twin was debuting, when I was into 1/5 scale before....). What clutch setup would you reccomend to accomplish this dastardly plan?
The Alx clutch won't work with rcmax. The cranks are completely different and the cases are aswell . the bell, bell carrier and clutch will work with 70mm Alx engines tho just not the back housing . And if you buy a Alx it will not need a clutch , as they already come with them .

Yeah but the 40 needs a carb clutch and pipe, your up to 1300

Don't think it will work, hell a 34 zen has diff bolt spacings then a 23-30.5, I doubt the 460 will work with a 34 or under.

The Alx clutch won't work with rcmax. The cranks are completely different and the cases are aswell . the bell, bell carrier and clutch will work with 70mm Alx engines tho just not the back housing . And if you buy a Alx it will not need a clutch , as they already come with them .
They actually list the rcmax 40 on the universal set doesn't it...

So looking at other alternatives for.mounting a less massive/better engine... reccomendations on a clutch carrier and bell setup that's not 300$ for a standard clutch and zenoah? I know I'll need a carrier, bell, and pinion, and also the cy fan cover/shorter clutch housing....anything I'm missing? Chassis inserts I'm sure. I'd imagine it will require a different spur as well.

Don't think a 1300 dollar engine, even if I sold some toys, is in the plans soon.

So looking at other alternatives for.mounting a less massive/better engine... reccomendations on a clutch carrier and bell setup that's not 300$ for a standard clutch and zenoah? I know I'll need a carrier, bell, and pinion, and also the cy fan cover/shorter clutch housing....anything I'm missing? Chassis inserts I'm sure. I'd imagine it will require a different spur as well.

Don't think a 1300 dollar engine, even if I sold some toys, is in the plans soon.
I don't bother with the mesh inserts, just use washers under the bolts. It's not that hard to set mesh....

I don't bother with the mesh inserts, just use washers under the bolts. It's not that hard to set mesh....
That was in my list of questions, seems like it would work just as well. Seems these are stock 19t inserts anyway. I'm not afraid to mesh a gear( although my hex driven mesh system on my limitless has me spoiled these days), just learning a new platform

I know how it bolts into a baja( the rear pan is dished and the shroud mounts directly) does the stock motor have any form of bracket or spacer underneath it for mounting on these? Im assuming not, and the clutch carrier looks to be the front motor bolt down point. This 46 has a pair of brackets that attach to the bottom of it to mount, I don't have anything stock to compare.

Comparing a g340 to this thing, it seems....excessive if we're really talking about the massive problems and lack of power here. I'm not finding a bell/carrier/housing combo for less than about 200, it makes me tempted to just spring the extra 100 on that alx system and get a brand new, and better, clutch if I do ditch the monster.

I wonder if I could get 400 out of this motor and pipe if I take it out and clean it up... it runs quite well, clutch works etc.... that would pay a large portion of the expense towards a mice full mod g340 sized engine, or possibly a used rcmx or alx... hmm

That was in my list of questions, seems like it would work just as well. Seems these are stock 19t inserts anyway. I'm not afraid to mesh a gear( although my hex driven mesh system on my limitless has me spoiled these days), just learning a new platform

I know how it bolts into a baja( the rear pan is dished and the shroud mounts directly) does the stock motor have any form of bracket or spacer underneath it for mounting on these? Im assuming not, and the clutch carrier looks to be the front motor bolt down point. This 46 has a pair of brackets that attach to the bottom of it to mount, I don't have anything stock to compare.

Comparing a g340 to this thing, it seems....excessive if we're really talking about the massive problems and lack of power here. I'm not finding a bell/carrier/housing combo for less than about 200, it makes me tempted to just spring the extra 100 on that alx system and get a brand new, and better, clutch if I do ditch the monster.

I wonder if I could get 400 out of this motor and pipe if I take it out and clean it up... it runs quite well, clutch works etc.... that would pay a large portion of the expense towards a mice full mod g340 sized engine, or possibly a used rcmx or alx... hmm
Your wasting your money on the alx clutch. All the big bore engines come with a clutch and all the small bore use the std clutch. You really just need the clutch housing for the 5ive and a bell holder. Typically not a very expensive endeavor. Ebay is tour friend for this type of thing if you have more time then money. Lots of 2.0 parts being sold off suction style, most can be had under market price even with shipping.
Most importantly don't over think this. If you have the stuff to run the 46cc then run it. It's a turd but you have no metric to measure by, so when running it you'll think its flying. Gives you plenty of time to get whatever other engine together. As far as I know there is no truly universal clutch housing either. Too many engines to cover that don't use the same bolt pattern. Even between zen engines there are 2 different clutch housings, in 2 different configurations.

Your wasting your money on the alx clutch. All the big bore engines come with a clutch and all the small bore use the std clutch. You really just need the clutch housing for the 5ive and a bell holder. Typically not a very expensive endeavor. Ebay is tour friend for this type of thing if you have more time then money. Lots of 2.0 parts being sold off suction style, most can be had under market price even with shipping.
Most importantly don't over think this. If you have the stuff to run the 46cc then run it. It's a turd but you have no metric to measure by, so when running it you'll think its flying. Gives you plenty of time to get whatever other engine together. As far as I know there is no truly universal clutch housing either. Too many engines to cover that don't use the same bolt pattern. Even between zen engines there are 2 different clutch housings, in 2 different configurations.

Can I confess something here.... I liek spending money on dumb crap, and building project cars.... why im researching all this.

I swore I'd never have another 5th scale after I sold the last baja...... I have 4 in my house, 2 bajas, this losi, and an obr twin baja that's visiting ;-).

So yeah, some of this is just me finding ways to waste money....sigh...

Can I confess something here.... I liek spending money on dumb crap, and building project cars.... why im researching all this.

I swore I'd never have another 5th scale after I sold the last baja...... I have 4 in my house, 2 bajas, this losi, and an obr twin baja that's visiting ;-).

So yeah, some of this is just me finding ways to waste money....sigh...
There are better ways to piss money away in a 1/5 scale. (Imo) I wouldn't bother with the clutch end of it at the power levels you currently have. Go buy a new rc max chassis or some fancy new wheels. Forgo the big unneeded clutch thought

Tire suggestions? Just put new foams in them, but they've got what looks like dry rot issues( they'll last a run or two... maybe....

These are rcmk tires, they seem alright, I. Not sure what to.replace them with. I like the proline trencher, but they have apparently discontinued them...

Btw after several hours removing the motor to install a kill switch, observations:

The losi is an easier to work on platform than expected. The motor went in and out nicely....once the pipe was off...

Now... someone slap turtle and OBR for this abomination of a motor and pipe. Who's STUPID *$;#**÷;$&&&# IDEA was wrapping the pipe AROUND the motor, so not only can you not clear the airfilter up and away, but it heats up the intake air, and traps heat right in the center of the chassis? Instead of routing it like everyone else does, out the back..... you know, the part of the truck with NO electronics.... you run it where the brakes, linkages, and one of the servos can't be accessed properly....and then that abortion of a pipe mount....

It's leaking because it uses o-rings instead of a couple on the header, and mine have, like the rest of the rubber on this thing, gone bad. I made a temporary fix for now that should mitigate the leaking to an extent until I'm no longer quarantined.

Now, the 5 million dollar question..... who's stupid ass put a *$;;!*&=;&@¡●■£•¡ adjustable coil on a motor who's coil bolts you can't reach without REMOVING THE WHOLE JUG! I didn't realize this until I had already installed the kill switch.... I swear if I have to pull the jug off the boat anchor to make it run again, I'm not putting it back in the car, it will get fixed and facebooked.

I love OBR, they're GREAT people and make awesome motors.... except this thing. I do not understand why ANYONE decided this was a good idea....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks