Received an HPI Baja 5SC and need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay you guys, back with another update.

I just came back from officially running about 1/2 a tank on the RC car. Me and my kiddo took it to an empty lot and ran it. I originally thought about cleaning it before but I decided to do it AFTER I ran it (no sense in cleaning it twice, right?). DUSSSSST EVVEEERRRYYYY WHERE.

It was amazing. I can seriously see why this would be a fun hobby. Kiddo kept covering his ears. As previously said, it's WAY louder for his ears than mine and I've already gotten complaints about it lol

Aaaaaaaaaaaand then the bad poop started. About 15 minutes into the run, just whipping it back and forth, the car stood still. It was still turned on but was still turned on and revving. I ran up to it and the damn pinion that attached to the motor was missing. Turned it off and kiddo and I traced it's previous tracks. Thankfully we found both the pinion and the little hex screw not to far from the car.

Thinking that was the end of it, we started whippign it around again. About another 15 minutes go by and kiddo guns it all the way down the parking lot. Like, REALLLLLY out there. I grabbed the remote and started to turn it around. I pointed it back at us from afar and explained that we need to keep it in eye's view. I tried to bring it back and no response. "WTF?" I thought it was the pinion again. I kept pressing the trigger on the remote like it was a semi automatic. nothing. no throttle response. "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Something broke." I thought to myself as I started the lonnnnnnnng job to the baja. about 5 seconds later, THE fiddlesticking THING TAKES OFF ON IT'S OWN!! Just fiddlesticking darting full blast towards me and kiddo. No response from the remote, brakes or throttle. It zooms past me and bashes against a bush. I was able to kill it then and call it a day.

Finally I get home, about 20 minutes ago. As I'm putting away the RC Car, I notice that the plastic wheel that the pinion engages is melted and now totally useless. A spur wheel I believe it is called. A part that I have to replace if I want it running again.

So, lessions:

1) Ear plugs for the kiddo. Myself included, my hearing isn't what it used to be, gotta preserve what I got lol
2) A fiddlesticking KILL SWITCH IS 1000000% MANDATORY. IT SHOULD BE ADDED BY DEFAULT AT THE FACTORY! HOLY poop GOD DAMN!
3) BEFORE running, make sure important things are screwed and intact TIGHT.
4) Start a new checking account for this hobby because that replacement part is about $100 at DDM lol (DEAR LORD!)

Questions:

1) I have noticed that my car doesn't turn as sharp as some other cars. After watching this video and comparing mine to the one on youtube, I feel like maybe something is wrong with mine? Mine doesn't "wheelie" or "whip around on a turn". I can't put it into words, I might have to record it next time. But here's the video I found and what I was kind of expecting? (Fast Forward to about 1:05)

That's it for now. Later guys!

Okay you guys, back with another update.

I just came back from officially running about 1/2 a tank on the RC car. Me and my kiddo took it to an empty lot and ran it. I originally thought about cleaning it before but I decided to do it AFTER I ran it (no sense in cleaning it twice, right?). DUSSSSST EVVEEERRRYYYY WHERE.

It was amazing. I can seriously see why this would be a fun hobby. Kiddo kept covering his ears. As previously said, it's WAY louder for his ears than mine and I've already gotten complaints about it lol

Aaaaaaaaaaaand then the bad poop started. About 15 minutes into the run, just whipping it back and forth, the car stood still. It was still turned on but was still turned on and revving. I ran up to it and the damn pinion that attached to the motor was missing. Turned it off and kiddo and I traced it's previous tracks. Thankfully we found both the pinion and the little hex screw not to far from the car.

Thinking that was the end of it, we started whippign it around again. About another 15 minutes go by and kiddo guns it all the way down the parking lot. Like, REALLLLLY out there. I grabbed the remote and started to turn it around. I pointed it back at us from afar and explained that we need to keep it in eye's view. I tried to bring it back and no response. "WTF?" I thought it was the pinion again. I kept pressing the trigger on the remote like it was a semi automatic. nothing. no throttle response. "Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Something broke." I thought to myself as I started the lonnnnnnnng job to the baja. about 5 seconds later, THE fiddlesticking THING TAKES OFF ON IT'S OWN!! Just fiddlesticking darting full blast towards me and kiddo. No response from the remote, brakes or throttle. It zooms past me and bashes against a bush. I was able to kill it then and call it a day.

Finally I get home, about 20 minutes ago. As I'm putting away the RC Car, I notice that the plastic wheel that the pinion engages is melted and now totally useless. A spur wheel I believe it is called. A part that I have to replace if I want it running again.

So, lessions:

1) Ear plugs for the kiddo. Myself included, my hearing isn't what it used to be, gotta preserve what I got lol
2) A fiddlesticking KILL SWITCH IS 1000000% MANDATORY. IT SHOULD BE ADDED BY DEFAULT AT THE FACTORY! HOLY poop GOD DAMN!
3) BEFORE running, make sure important things are screwed and intact TIGHT.
4) Start a new checking account for this hobby because that replacement part is about $100 at DDM lol (DEAR LORD!)

Questions:

1) I have noticed that my car doesn't turn as sharp as some other cars. After watching this video and comparing mine to the one on youtube, I feel like maybe something is wrong with mine? Mine doesn't "wheelie" or "whip around on a turn". I can't put it into words, I might have to record it next time. here's the video I found and what I was kind of expecting? (Fast Forward to about 1:05)

That's it for now. Later guys!
His wheelies most likely cuz he has a ddm dominator pipe which is galaxies better the (no offense) poopy pipe that u have, that's probably why it wheelies and has more power. Ddm dominator pipes kinda expensive, 170 for the v2. You might be able to find a used one, there is clones of it, I'm not sure if they are any good, I've heard that they are just as good performance wise but the material is crappy, but I do not know as I've never owned one or really looked in to it, I'm sure someone on here could tell ya! Also this hobby as your learning is very expensive, so try not to be surprised when a tiny little part costs like $50 bucks lol. Sucks that you had to learn that a kill switch is very necessary the hard way, was there and bad damage? Hope not! Also if you can, i would look into getting a new remote/radio/transmitter because the stock ones aren't great. Theres many options like Futabas, spectrum, Sanwa/Airtronics, flysky, ect. Futaba is pretty expensive but very well worth it, not sure on flysky, supposedly they are pretty good if you jailbreak or mod them according to @evssv, spectrum is meh because it has this B's called avc which is a stability control that in my opinion is a total waste of time and interfears with the kill switch, I have a Airtronics/Sanwa mx5/mxV, I like it, plenty of range and settings, picked mine up used for $50 shipped. On the spur gear, the stock spur gears are ass and is a normal occurrence for it to melt of strip out, so for like $5 I'd get me a hostile spur gear, sum would go with steel but I like a weak point so it can strip out if there's a problem rather than damaging the transmission or something. If that makes sense.

Check ur steering end points so you can get max steering (not over steer) adjust it till the turnbuckles almost touch the lower arms(y)
I stripped my spur a few weeks back ? i through on a steel spur, that wont happen in a hurry again? get a kill switch. I also bought a clone dominator was cheap works well.......not sure how long it wil last i have flipped my baja a few time with no issues yet?. New radio i woiuld ..... do some research get a new one the stock gear always sux. Get a bigger wallet?????

Wow that was a long read.. Lol
The cause of the pinion falling off and the spur melting will more than likely be down to bad bearings mate.
As for the rest,
Charge your battery
Get a killswitch
Adjust your endpoints.
Sorted?
I know and I do apologize. It's just that I got pretty excited running it and I wanted to give you guys as much detailed info as possible so that in turn you guys can give me detailed info.

I'll try to cut back next time.
Get a bigger wallet?????
LOL I definitely gotta look into that part.
His wheelies most likely cuz he has a ddm dominator pipe which is galaxies better the (no offense) poopy pipe that u have, that's probably why it wheelies and has more power. Ddm dominator pipes kinda expensive, 170 for the v2. You might be able to find a used one, there is clones of it, I'm not sure if they are any good, I've heard that they are just as good performance wise but the material is crappy, but I do not know as I've never owned one or really looked in to it, I'm sure someone on here could tell ya! Also this hobby as your learning is very expensive, so try not to be surprised when a tiny little part costs like $50 bucks lol. Sucks that you had to learn that a kill switch is very necessary the hard way, was there and bad damage? Hope not! Also if you can, i would look into getting a new remote/radio/transmitter because the stock ones aren't great. Theres many options like Futabas, spectrum, Sanwa/Airtronics, flysky, ect. Futaba is pretty expensive but very well worth it, not sure on flysky, supposedly they are pretty good if you jailbreak or mod them according to @evssv, spectrum is meh because it has this B's called avc which is a stability control that in my opinion is a total waste of time and interfears with the kill switch, I have a Airtronics/Sanwa mx5/mxV, I like it, plenty of range and settings, picked mine up used for $50 shipped. On the spur gear, the stock spur gears are ass and is a normal occurrence for it to melt of strip out, so for like $5 I'd get me a hostile spur gear, sum would go with steel but I like a weak point so it can strip out if there's a problem rather than damaging the transmission or something. If that makes sense.
Holy smokes, I didn't even think that he had modded parts. I thought it was all stock, to be honest. I'll stick to the pipe I have now until I'm ready to upgrade. Or at least my wallet can handle the impact, lol.

Yeah, a new radio might have to do. Honestly, I'm gonna stick with simple. I've seen some of those LCD types that cost nearly $400, YIKES! I might look into what you have. Maybe something that has 4chs? Steering, Throttle, Kill Switch and an extra for future proofing? (lights? lol)

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Holy smokes, I didn't even think that he had modded parts. I thought it was all stock, to be honest. I'll stick to the pipe I have now until I'm ready to upgrade. Or at least my wallet can handle the impact, lol.

Yeah, a new radio might have to do. Honestly, I'm gonna stick with simple. I've seen some of those LCD types that cost nearly $400, YIKES! I might look into what you have. Maybe something that has 4chs? Steering, Throttle, Kill Switch and an extra for future proofing? (lights? lol)

Thanks for the tips!
on the radio, yeah they are very expensive, I would get one with a screen because they have alot more adjustments (for the future when u learn how to use em and get more advanced), not that doesn't always mean it will be expensive, mine has a lcd but it cost me $50 as I've said, just depends on which models, make, features, and how old it is. we can help find u a good one fir cheap, whats ur price range on it? you don't really need more than 3 channels but if u want 4, go ahead, just know sometimes they are more expensive sadly, I wouldn't do lights on a 1/5 only becuase they don't last long, if you roll or hit something they will most likely break.

This is an older thread and I'm the FNG, but @NewHPIGuy you won't get super whippy steering with the stock engine and pipe, but if you think the steering is lackluster with your current setup, there's also a possibility that your steering issues are due to the servo saver being shot to hell. My 5T had the same issue: didn't steer like crap despite a new high torque servo having been installed.

The servo saver is a spring and cam unit within the steering system of your Baja-5SC. It's designed to flex when the front wheels hit a hard object. The intention is that this mechanism will absorb the impact and save your servo gears. The drawback is that this cam is made from plastic and will disintegrate over time. It's a part of the set of arms in front of the servo.

The best way to determine if this is the issue is simple. Pull off the body of your baja and set it on the bench. Turn on your radio and the receiver (with a fully charged battery). Turn the wheels left and right while giving them a small amount of pressure against the turn direction and watch your steering servo. If the wheels are turning at a slower rate than the servo horn (arm), and not giving you any pressure, then your servo saver is likely shot or needs adjustment. If you hold one of the front wheels while trying to turn with the transmitter, looking down at the steering parts in the buggy, you should see the cam pop up . There is a possibility that the servo saver is set too loose, so check that first. You will see an orange (or purple) button with an allen screw in the center. If you tighten the screw and the tires turn correctly, then you are in the clear. Otherwise, you will need a new servo saver kit. Lucky for you, they are super cheap! http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...dor/hpi-racing/hpi-85466-servo-saver-set.html

I've recently decided to resurrect my old Baja 5T, and am looking forward to seeing more adventures from you as I embark on the same journey!

My 14 Year old Baja 5B SS is much loved and has undergone some significant overhauls and upgrades. It's always a work in progress.

The most recent upgrades are detailed here and fully illustrated with photographs:

Baja Long Term Review

And the subsequent speed run video is here with onboard camera and original soundtrack:

Screenshot_20230411_164346.jpg

If you're into Baja 5B's, or if you're wondering about reviving one that's gathering dust - you really should check out the links!

Just wondering why you didn't start your own thread? Over half the people on this one haven't been on in years.
It's a good point well made. But with the moderators here so finicky about responding on old threads - I dare to think what they'd have to say about starting a duplicate Baja 5B thread. It might be punishible by lethal injection, or possibly hanging. 😝

If the mods here have the decency to respond to my PM's, I might consider not deleting my profile and starting a new one. Believe it or not, I was trying not to offend anyone. 🤣

Hello All,

Neighbor of mine was moving over the weekend out of state and decided to gift me his HPI Baja 5SC. He said he bought it to get in to the hobby about 10 years ago but only ran it a couple of times and then it just sat. He did mention that everything is stock (no upgrades since purchase) other than a basic tune pipe and that the "servos" need to be changed.

Since I've never dealt with anything RC, I don't know what I need to do to get this up and running again. Unfortunately he didn't have a lot of time to teach me either. I've been looking some stuff up but I don't know how reliable the information is, therefore I decided to ask for help here.
I'm thinking I need to replace the batteries and both servos but I am interested in getting a higher tier than stock parts. I just don't know what I'm looking for. :(

Also, I don't understand fuel to oil ratios? Do I use car oil, like Valvoline 5w20 Full Synthetic? It's a 26cc engine if that matters?

I feel like an idiot for asking to be spoonfed, but the truth is I feel like someone gave me a spaceship and said "it needs some work, have fun".

EDIT: Imgur Album for the curious:
EDIT 2: Parts I currently plan on ordering:

1. NGK CMR7H - Spark Plug
  2. Royal Purple HP 2-C - Oil
  3. Fuel Oil Mixer Measuring Cup
  4. Venom 5000 6Cell NiMh Battery Pack
  5. HPI SFL-11MG (Steering) + HPI SF-20 (Accelorator/Braking) - Servos

Thanks
Spark plug is spot on,
Fuel oil mix should be 25:1 (40ml per litre)
Measuring cup does the work for you markings show fuel then fill to above (I.e 25:1 is more oil than 50:1)
Make sure old fuel is all out
Get a kill switch
Get a walbro spiral diaphragm
Keep your idle screw quite high
Turn your h and l screws clockwise full closed then open both 1 and a quarter anti clockwise
Adjust in one sixteenths increments but try not open too much , you're better running a little richer running too lean will shag your engine
Once broken in put on a stand and give full power with the controller until engine is whining perfectly then turn down 1 16th

👍😎👍
Thanks! I'll see if maybe AutoZone might have something. I know there this a lawn mower repair shop I can probably check out too. If neither pans out, I suppose this would do: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088PR5BQ ?

Also, is there a recommend or favorite brand for servos, batteries and oil that is better than stock options? A brand that gives it more power/umph/torque than stock? I was able to look on the Baja itself and the servo said SF-20, if it helps.

Reason I'm looking for a tier higher than stock is because this thing has been sitting for a LONG LONG time and I want to give it it's best chance at coming back, if that makes sense?
Goldbat good value lipos
Get yourself a dynamite kill switch and change carb diaphragm for a walbro spiral one 👍
Spark plug is spot on,
Fuel oil mix should be 25:1 (40ml per litre)
Measuring cup does the work for you markings show fuel then fill to above (I.e 25:1 is more oil than 50:1)
Make sure old fuel is all out
Get a kill switch
Get a walbro spiral diaphragm
Keep your idle screw quite high
Turn your h and l screws clockwise full closed then open both 1 and a quarter anti clockwise
Adjust in one sixteenths increments but try not open too much , you're better running a little richer running too lean will shag your engine
Once broken in put on a stand and give full power with the controller until engine is whining perfectly then turn down 1 16th

👍😎👍

Goldbat good value lipos
Get yourself a dynamite kill switch and change carb diaphragm for a walbro spiral one 👍
Just buy a cheap 1l jug from Walmart, remember 25:1 is 40 ml oil per litre,comma synthetic oil is decent

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks