Vekta.5 engine question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did I get dragged into THIS? the only thing I have said to the guy is "welcome bud" in his other thread.

Oh well since I'm getting the blame..

?Cardarear if your reading this mate you should get a bigbore, a big feckoff shiny one. ??????

Sorry Mark it was all Z's doing. Now that I went back and re-read the thread. (y):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm new to the Forum, and pretty new to forums in general. I have a Vekta.5 with an OBR full mod 34 cc engine. I enjoy the Vekta (although it's down right now after a battery box thermal issue) however I would like a bit more speed. I've topped out at about 38 to 39 mph so far (near the end of my first gallon of 24:1 oil mix following Botejell breakin). I'm guessing it will not be much faster at 25:1 or 28:1. So I've started to think about an engine upgrade to OBR 40.8 that was recently announced. But I'm wondering if expensive drivetrain upgrades will be required. If I have to go down that path then it may make more sense (somehow) to go all in for a larger engine (rcmax 55 maybe).
The stock G320 RC is more than enough to tear up the drivetrain.
I only know about the mega gear set you need to run the Maxxis tires.
I have rebuild the complete drivetrain, plus cups and dog bone pins running this setup.
I would think a beefier motor would be death to the stock drivetrain. But give it a try thats whats it all about.
Let me add that converting to the mega gear set and the Maxxis tires, gave me greatly improved low and top end, is flies across the field like a jack rabbit. I got away from loctite and used small lock washers on the fasteners that are problems, works great no more stripped fasteners.
IMG_0504.jpg

Last edited:
How did I get dragged into THIS? the only thing I have said to the guy is "welcome bud" in his other thread.

Oh well since I'm getting the blame..

?Cardarear if your reading this mate you should get a bigbore, a big feckoff shiny one. ??????
Hilarious. Step 1: get my Vekta back on the road after the thermal issue in the battery box. Step 2: switch out the mega torque grating for the stock bearing and see how well the OBR 34 full mod pushes that gearing. Step 3: make decision on larger displacement engine.

Hey Guys, I was really trying to patiently wait for the OBR 40.8 Reed to be released. I figured it would be a decent performance increase without going full big bore power and cost. I ran out of patience on Tuesday. Went all in and ordered a Supreme 65 (partially encouraged by Crucial's postings and video). Now I'm looking into a few upgrades and accessories to prep for the new engine. Biggest concern other than the 65 completely destroying the Vekta is what to do with my tires. I'd like to keep the trepidors, wondering if I should tape\glue them up.
I was also looking at the XMaxx Proline trencher tires and wheels and wondering if they could be made to working this application. But not sure if they will survive in a vehicle that's twice the weight.

Last edited:
Hey Guys, I was really trying to patiently wait for the OBR 40.8 Reed to be released. I figured it would be a decent performance increase without going full big bore power and cost. I ran out of patience on Tuesday. Went all in and ordered a Supreme 65 (partially encouraged by Crucial's postings and video). Now I'm looking into a few upgrades and accessories to prep for the new engine. Biggest concern other than the 65 completely destroying the Vekta is what to do with my tires. I'd like to keep the trepidors, wondering if I should tape\glue them up.
I was also looking at the XMaxx Proline trencher tires and wheels and wondering if they could be made to working this application. But not sure if they will survive in a vehicle that's twice the weight.
It’s aliveeeee! What mods are you doing to beef it up for the 65? I’m strongly contemplating buying a v5 atm because 5t is sold out everywhere. I’m thinking of getting the no engine motor and just dropping in this motor http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...ed-case-engine-with-v2-reed-valve-design.html. OBR says it has roughly the same top end as the stock motor but has more bottom end so I should be able to throw a bigger pinion at it without sacrificing too much torque.

It’s aliveeeee! What mods are you doing to beef it up for the 65? I’m strongly contemplating buying a v5 atm because 5t is sold out everywhere. I’m thinking of getting the no engine motor and just dropping in this motor http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rc-ca...ed-case-engine-with-v2-reed-valve-design.html. OBR says it has roughly the same top end as the stock motor but has more bottom end so I should be able to throw a bigger pinion at it without sacrificing too much torque.
I ordered the Vertigo transmission and 62 mm RCMAX clutch with the engine. Pretty sure I am going to order the Kraken cvd driveshaft and IRP upper trailing arm links. I already have the Full Force rear aluminum link mount installed since the plastic one split during initial assembly. I also have the Kraken billet front diff case I picked up during holiday sales last year that I have not installed yet. The V5 is a beast. Mine is a solid 50 pounds right now with OBR 34 full mod, dual steering servos, light bar, etc. I would definitely skip the non Reed engines and go OBR V2 34 Reed, OBR SS 34, or Bartolone 34 Reed at minimum.

I ordered the Vertigo transmission and 62 mm RCMAX clutch with the engine. Pretty sure I am going to order the Kraken cvd driveshaft and IRP upper trailing arm links. I already have the Full Force rear aluminum link mount installed since the plastic one split during initial assembly. I also have the Kraken billet front diff case I picked up during holiday sales last year that I have not installed yet. The V5 is a beast. Mine is a solid 50 pounds right now with OBR 34 full mod, dual steering servos, light bar, etc. I would definitely skip the non Reed engines and go OBR V2 34 Reed, OBR SS 34, or Bartolone 34 Reed at minimum.
Just curious why not go with the t90. Limited gearing sets maybe?

Just curious why not go with the t90. Limited gearing sets maybe?
Yup, I actually have a T90 I haven't installed. But I was a little frustrated with being limited by the gearing options available at a time when I didn't know what engine I was going to go with. So between that and wanting to keep the engine weight as low as possible I decided to just get the Vertigo.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks