Which upgrades to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moev

HI all! First- english is not my native language, so excuse me for the errors. Been reading the forum for couple of weeks and gathering information. In couple of days my first Losi 5T V2 will be home. Have DBXLE until now, but as a bit of a grease monkey, always wanted a gaser. Since the bank is already broken, I will stick for now with the 32cc engine, but want more oompf out of it. As I understand, you can achieve this with a pipe. But which brand- Olimat, Bartolone, Samba etc.? Also is there a difference in performance between silenced and unsilenced? I watched some comparisment videos from stock and bartolone, and tbh I like the sound of the stock one. Also because of noice, I would prefer a silenced one, but perfomance wise will go for unsilenced. Are there any other mods you can do to the stock engine, without spending half of the price of a new one? I red stock filter is also to be replaced? I should mension that I am in Switzerland, so will prepfer europe stores to get the parts.

BR

Unsilent will get you little more power and sounds wonderful . For the pipe, olimat 34cc+ is my first choice and than VRC.

You can also get a esp ported top end for more power. I think is around $160 at DDM.

I am still searching and reading the old threads, so have some more qustions:
1. Kill switch- which? Does it matter? I was thinking of killer bee switch
2. Outawear- which are good ones?
3. Air filter- which are good? I don't want to buy something, that will be worst than the stock one
4. On some occasions I red ditch Spektrum, buy Futaba. Why is that? I run my DBXLE with D5X Pro and SR6000T and didn't have any issues. I was thinking of using it also for the Losi. Also I am not sure about AVC and Kill switch, will it work with the D5X Pro and stock Losi reciever?

Cheers

Avoid killer rc, there's alot of issues right now with killer rc.

The dynamite killswitch is fine and works easily with spektrum or any other radio brand.
Get a 1" ddm velocity stack and a dt1 triple stage dome filter.

Avc will not allow a killswitch at all, I've tried and I sat down one day with horizon hobby tech support and they tested it there and agreed it cannot be done.

Spektrum is perfectly fine, it comes down to brand loyalty that's all.

I wouldn't, I had that air box from turtle racing and if your not very careful you'll pinch the seal and allow dirt and dust and smoke your engine.

The dbxl tires and rims were garbage but the 5ive t 2.0 rims and tires are very good as long as you don't do donuts on the asphalt..

I run the air filter setup I mentioned with the outerwears cover and never have an issue1000003649.jpg

5t is a great machine! Much better than the dbxl, even though they are almost the same there are more options for the 5t and they come built tough!
If you plan to run on grass it would be highly recommended to put all the outerwares covers you can get. You need to remove the engine to put on the inside crankcase one, but it can save you from pulling in small blades of grass that will block in the head fins and make you over heat, the pullstart cover as well but is simple to put on. Those covers will also keep out small rocks and debris that could even lock the engine from turning.
The tuned pipe makes a mark able difference in high end power. There is even cylinder port covers that help change the power but I did everything in one shot after trying it stock, so I can't say what does the most improvements.
The stock tires seem to grip well and hold together so far for me. You could test fit the mad max tires but they may need alot of body trimming and some suspension limiting so they don't rub. Not a lot of options for tires but fingers crossed more will come.
There is alot of stuff on TAYLOR RC in Europe, ddm in the stats, but I even heard of some esp parts available in the uk. Both places are a great source for your large scale rides.
Have fun and post up your progress, lots of pictures, even share your link for your you tube videos.

I wouldn't, I had that air box from turtle racing and if your not very careful you'll pinch the seal and allow dirt and dust and smoke your engine.

The dbxl tires and rims were garbage but the 5ive t 2.0 rims and tires are very good as long as you don't do donuts on the asphalt..

I run the air filter setup I mentioned with the outerwears cover and never have an issueView attachment 91508
Nice ride mate. Whats the reso?

I'm in Australia, the land down under, always running in dust and dirt - gravel, I highly recommend all the outerwears, I've got crankcase, pull start, air filter, even shocks wear's, haven't torn apart a shock boot yet, after using shock wear's, all the little stone's tore apart shock boots, & pitted shock shaft's,
As for tyre's I run GRP cross tyre's, they come in three different compands, hard, medium, soft, I've only worn out one set of mediums, you can get them from Italy, nice fomes to, light & CNC cut, so balances is perfect
I'm running rim's from silver back, they are in England, he's a bit low on stock at the moment, his Kevlar composite rim's & v3 bead locks are extremely tough
Hope all this helps you out 🙂
IMG_20240119_134842.jpgIMG_20240119_134853.jpg
Good grip on grass, gravel & dirt

Last edited:
Reso? The exhaust? It's an olimat silenced if that's what your asking lol
Yes, Cheers
I'm in Australia, the land down under, always running in dust and dirt - gravel, I highly recommend all the outerwears, I've got crankcase, pull start, air filter, even shocks wear's, haven't torn apart a shock boot yet, after using shock wear's, all the little stone's tore apart shock boots, & pitted shock shaft's,
As for tyre's I run GRP cross tyre's, they come in three different compands, hard, medium, soft, I've only worn out one set of mediums, you can get them from Italy, nice fomes to, light & CNC cut, so balances is perfect
I'm running rim's from silver back, they are in England, he's a bit low on stock at the moment, his Kevlar composite rim's & v3 bead locks are extremely tough
Hope all this helps you out 🙂
View attachment 91514View attachment 91515
Good grip on grass, gravel & dirt
Thank you will check them out. Seems a little to wide for Losi? Or is it just the picture? I found they are 183mm, so almost exact like stock tyres, but no width dimension...

Last edited:
Yooohooo. Its in the bag boys and gals. My first 5T v2. Just won it on ebay. Price went 200 up in last minute, but still for 800€ I think it is a bargain. Guy said it has only 8-10 tanks on it. Sadly I will see it in person on Eastern, since I am at customer untill then. So now I have 2 months of sorting what to buy now, and what later. I keep reading all the posts, so for now it is :
1. Kill Switch- https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...itch-and-status-led-for-all-transmitters.html
2. Pipe- it should be silenced. Olimat, Bartolone or VRC. But now I saw couple of MCDs runing Baracudas. Are they any good? MCDs are always wining and top of the specs, but nobody here run Baracuda. Also what is with oiling them after each run? Are all pipes like this or only some of them? I want some hastle free pipe.
3. Since I own DBXLE on 8S, maybe the 5T will lack of power. So should I go for the 34cc esp mode, or go for some 40cc complete engine? If I buy now a pipe for 32, will it fit to the 40 or will I need bigger one?
4. Outerwears
5. Maybe air filter, but here are some guys runing stock and they say, nothing wrong with it.
6. Maybe some other than stock tires: https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...-x60-tires-for-hpi-losi-24-mm-hex-drive-.html
7. Diff oils- most are runing 500k-1m-500k. In the manual stock is 10-15-5. Is it realy such a huge difference or are there different scales to measure?
8. Shock oil and rear springs. I am with hardest springs on my DBXLE and when I jump (not more than feet) I almost always belly land. And the 5T should be also heavier. So are orange ok, or should I go for red. I have those options: https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...osi-5ive-t-2-0-mini-and-ufrc-growler-gx1.html. No orange, and red is second. Should I go for black?
9. Skid plates: https://rc-car-online.de/en/product...rear-skid-plate-losi-5ive-t-2-0-and-mini.html
10. Steering servo- I think I will first run stock one, since I was ok with stock Spektrum on my DBXLE and I don't race. Will see how it goes. But when I decide to upgrade- should I go for the push pull or not?
11. Clutch, bell thingy. Here it is a dark matter for me. No clue, what is ok, what to search, what to buy and why.
12. I saw on youtube a supercharger for zenoah motors. Are you familiar with it? Is it any good?s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

Congratulations , looks like you scored a good deal, truck looks nice and clean
The barracuda pipes on the MCD are pretty good, but they are made for 26 to 29cc, they are a bit restricted for bigger engines, I run a Taylor 35 pipe on my rig, really woke up my 30.5 cc full mod reed engine

If you don't want to oil the pipe after a day out, get a chrome on, or paint it with high heat resistant paint
As for your other question, I can't really help you out
Hope this helps you out 😁

Does it make sence only to put a velocity stack and keep the stock filter? What about the carb? Is the stock any good or should I look at replacement? What makes a good carb good? What should I look?

I'd put a good two stage filter on your car
Especially if running in dusty conditions
I would also recommend a outerwear for your air filter
Not sure about the velocity stack on a piston port motor

You will have two foam piece's in the one filter, Outer will be coarse foam, inner will be fine foam
To bad you are half a world away, I've got a small dome two stage filter you could have for free, look up two stage foam air filter on Google, she will give you a better description, I'll take a couple of pics for you
IMG_20240122_221551.jpg
That one I found on eBay
You could say its 3 stage
Coarse foam Outer layer
Finer foam on inner layer's
Put a outerwear over that & you have 4 layer's of protection to stop dust

A pic of MCD two stage air filter
Plus a pic of my rig
Didn't mean to send exhaust spring pic
Same thing again, coarse foam Outer element
Fine foam inner element

Attachments

• IMG_20240122_221627.jpg
    IMG_20240122_221627.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240122_221522.jpg
    IMG_20240122_221522.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240122_221448.jpg
    IMG_20240122_221448.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240122_221251.jpg
    IMG_20240122_221251.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240122_221337.jpg
    IMG_20240122_221337.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240108_164437.jpg
    IMG_20240108_164437.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240107_162038.jpg
    IMG_20240107_162038.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
You can't keep the stock filter and use an aftermarket velocity stack, it just doesn't work that way because it doesn't fit. Also your stock air filter has a velocity stack inside, problem with the stock filter is the dust and sand can sneak in on the sides of the foam.

Last edited:
You will have two foam piece's in the one filter, Outer will be coarse foam, inner will be fine foam
To bad you are half a world away, I've got a small dome two stage filter you could have for free, look up two stage foam air filter on Google, she will give you a better description, I'll take a couple of pics for you
View attachment 91563
That one I found on eBay
You could say its 3 stage
Coarse foam Outer layer
Finer foam on inner layer's
Put a outerwear over that & you have 4 layer's of protection to stop dust

A pic of MCD two stage air filter
Plus a pic of my rig
Didn't mean to send exhaust spring pic
Same thing again, coarse foam Outer element
Fine foam inner element
10x mate. Very helpfull. Which to oil- only the outher one or all?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks